Hooper

6 minutes ago, Beholder said:

He was out all of last season ffs. 

21 appearances last season, got injured in December like Hooper, but came back to fitness in pre season. Hooper has had a further 7 months out. Also factor in Fletcher looks after himself and clearly lives like an athlete, Hooper usually comes back more bloated than a Xmas turkey. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

Sometimes I disagree with you (the whole if you don’t attend 46 games a season you are not a fan) but with you on this . I can’t wait to see the back of hooper , lee , abdi , Jones and Boyd . Five players who have contributed the square route of naff all . To think what those wages (along with Bruce’s arrival ) could have been used towards .

Disagree with regards to Hooper and Lee. They have contributed more than most even with the 14 months off injured. But now is probably the time to say bye to them and we can't carry that kind of baggage anymore. Shame because both Lee and Hooper have been 3 times the players for us then the others you mentioned. 

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

21 appearances last season, got injured in December like Hooper, but came back to fitness in pre season. Hooper has had a further 7 months out. Also factor in Fletcher looks after himself and clearly lives like an athlete, Hooper usually comes back more bloated than a Xmas turkey. 

They have different games. 

Hooper is all about skill, vision and close control under any amount of pressure (and goals of course). 

He would compliment Fletcher perfectly with his current form. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Disagree with regards to Hooper and Lee. They have contributed more than most even with the 14 months off injured. But now is probably the time to say bye to them and we can't carry that kind of baggage anymore. Shame because both Lee and Hooper have been 3 times the players for us then the others you mentioned. 

Lee has been a great servant but he’s done . Wish him well In whatever he does . Hooper hasn’t played enough games , but again good player , wish him well . 

The other three were stupid signings 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Sometimes I disagree with you (the whole if you don’t attend 46 games a season you are not a fan) but with you on this . I can’t wait to see the back of hooper , lee , abdi , Jones and Boyd . Five players who have contributed the square route of naff all . To think what those wages (along with Bruce’s arrival ) could have been used towards .

Totally agree.

Lee has been a big asset while fit and Hooper has played his part at times but we are not a charity and there is no place for sentiment. All of these are on relatively huge wages for our level and we are in no position to dish contracts out like we did previously.

Use this money on young hungry players who have a sell on value 

13 minutes ago, Beholder said:

They have different games. 

Hooper is all about skill, vision and close control under any amount of pressure (and goals of course). 

He would compliment Fletcher perfectly with his current form. 

I agree with your description of Hooper, but that was Hooper of 2-3 years ago. I would say chances of him getting back to that are slim.

His fitness record before his current injury wasn't the best either.

Fed up of Wednesday for god knows how long being hampered by players being injuried. One way to improve this is not dishing out contracts to players who have poor fitness records.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree with your description of Hooper, but that was Hooper of 2-3 years ago. I would say chances of him getting back to that are slim.

His fitness record before his current injury wasn't the best either.

Fed up of Wednesday for god knows how long being hampered by players being injuried. One way to improve this is not dishing out contracts to players who have poor fitness records.

I'm more thinking about an exciting end to this season than new contracts. 

You gotta admit it would be the stuff of fairytales for hoops and Lee to return with us still in the hunt for the playoffs. 

• Like 2

Think everyone needs to accept the situation with Hooper. His playing days are coming to an end. Even if we get him back for 3, 4, 5, even 7 or 8 games he will break down again at some point given the demands of modern day football. 

All the best to him but we need an attacking future built on more solid foundations.

• Like 1

Hooper has featured in 70 odd games - the equivalent of a season and a half in 4 years. It is time to move him on and free up his considerable wages. We've made him a multi millionaire for a 29 goal return. Not for me thanks. 

I have every confidence in Steve Bruce identifying a younger and fitter replacement. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cockers said:

Hooper has featured in 70 odd games - the equivalent of a season and a half in 4 years. It is time to move him on and free up his considerable wages. We've made him a multi millionaire for a 29 goal return. Not for me thanks. 

I have every confidence in Steve Bruce identifying a younger and fitter replacement. 

He has also got a lot better at golf 

Edited by torres

5 hours ago, prowl said:

Realistically Hooper would take 5 or six games to get properly match fit after such a long lay off. I love the guy, we are a different class when he is on the pitch but realistically he isn't going to have enough time to make an impact this season. 

Lee might be a better bet if he was training with the time now. His fitness/ engine is better than Hooper so he can get up to speed quicker. I just don't think he's close yet.

Hoopers days with us are probably over unless he takes a big drop in wages. Lee might be worth keeping.

the likelihood is IF both get fit and return injury free, and that's one really big IF, then neither will be the player they once were, 'time waits for no man'.