Nando Number Ten

9 hours ago, simpark said:

McGugan still only 30. Went on to make 9 appearance for Northampton, left and not played for over a year now. What a waste

I cant believe his move to Hillsboro which we pined for in our thousands ended up so badly - despite a series of Reach style goals. I doubt Lewis and Carlos exchange Christmas cards. 

Bizarrely - my fave memory is his well timed body check against Brum that set up the counter attack for Hoopers winner.  

Guest wilyfox
17 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

Why does it worry you?........we're going to need a centre half next season when Hector goes back, and can't help thinking 6' 4'' is too tall for a full back.

As for FF, I'm in the Holmowl camp, for me his best position is left side of a front 3, but.........we don't have many options up front and Fletcher on his own is always too isolated, he needs someone to play off and link up with, hopefully FF can learn to be less greedy and make that role his own, or at least until Hooper is back(prays).

Would like to see Iorfa bombing down our right side. That side of his game would be wasted at centre-half. Also, if managers/coaches at previous clubs saw him best suited to right-back, perhaps he has greater potential there. He could become a decent centre-half, or excellent right-back. He's unlikely to dislodge Lees, and more accustomed to right side of defence, so not a natural successor to Hector. 

As Mycroft says why shackle him to a specific position, give him the freedom to roam between the lines looking for space and generally making a nuisance of himself in the oppositions half. When they play out from the back gIve  him the job of closing defenders down causing panic and giving us a chance of winning the ball back in dangerous areas .  I’d much rather see him operating in the oppositions half than tracking the runs of their full/wingbacks. Obviously our midfield would have to be much higher up the pitch (than it has been in the last couple of seasons)  for this to work. 

39 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Would like to see Iorfa bombing down our right side. That side of his game would be wasted at centre-half. Also, if managers/coaches at previous clubs saw him best suited to right-back, perhaps he has greater potential there. He could become a decent centre-half, or excellent right-back. He's unlikely to dislodge Lees, and more accustomed to right side of defence, so not a natural successor to Hector. 

I do tend to agree as he played full back at Wolves, tried to find out what positions he's played for England youth, but failed.

Just trying to understand why he sees himself as a centre half, apart from the height thing that is.

10 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

He played up top in his first year, the reason we got the playing off the left is where he is best is towards the end of the game when we would throw strikers on he would move out wide and with tired defenders and more space he would produce. And he did this on a regular basis. However, when started out wide he wasn't as effective.

I think he's a striker or number ten that needs freedom. And with a manager who understands this I think we'll see the best of him, and I am still adamant he is one of the best in the league.

It's not how I seem to remember it. First half of lots of games esp at Hillsborough we persisted with starting with FF and Hooper and looked unbalanced,  ball kept coming back. At half time CC would bring say Joao or Nuhiu on, Hooper would drop to 10, FF would go left and we'd end up winning 2 or 3 nil.

The ONLY game I seem to remember it clicking was Brighton in semi at home and we had Lopez, Bannan, Lee and Wallace at their absolute peak with lots of support for FF with Lee running between the lines. 

Without Lee my thesis is that the best side we can put out right now has Fletch as a spear and FF and Joao as supporting left and right forwards respectively. 

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, Weshallovercome said:

Just trying to understand why he sees himself as a centre half, apart from the height thing that is.

Maybe his height was seen as befitting that of a centre-half, so that was where he played at youth level and stuck in his mind. Some on here have already said 'he's too tall for full-back' or words to that effect. But, personally I think his athleticism is his greatest asset. His height combined with speed is a gift. In full flight he'll take some stopping. 

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

About as controversial as.....

I think Brexit could be going better. 

Don't get me started on Brexit. I think the Sunderland situation sums up the short sightedness and total lack of awareness of the likely repercussions of leaving.

61pc of people voted for leave in a region where a Japanese multinational who makes cars for UK and European market is the single biggest employer. Well done lads and lassies. 

• Thanks 2

Guest Willow Owl
4 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Don't get me started on Brexit. I think the Sunderland situation sums up the short sightedness and total lack of awareness of the likely repercussions of leaving.

61pc of people voted for leave in a region where a Japanese multinational who makes cars for UK and European market is the single biggest employer. Well done lads and lassies. 

F@ck Brexit, F@ck the EU, F@ck Sunderland, F@ck Nissan In fact F@ck the world.

Love SWFC 

The anger management sessions are working well today.:angry:

44 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

We were at our best because FF was at his best because he was on the left?

He’s superb on the left.

He’s very ordinary as a striker,

He might be a good No 10.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Edited by Holmowl

10 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

It's not how I seem to remember it. First half of lots of games esp at Hillsborough we persisted with starting with FF and Hooper and looked unbalanced,  ball kept coming back. At half time CC would bring say Joao or Nuhiu on, Hooper would drop to 10, FF would go left and we'd end up winning 2 or 3 nil.

The ONLY game I seem to remember it clicking was Brighton in semi at home and we had Lopez, Bannan, Lee and Wallace at their absolute peak with lots of support for FF with Lee running between the lines. 

Without Lee my thesis is that the best side we can put out right now has Fletch as a spear and FF and Joao as supporting left and right forwards respectively. 

Your spot on with the running between the lines part. FF with his back to goal had Lee Bannan Wallace Hooper all buzzing around him, and you could even include Hunt and Pudil in that. Where he was then able to play with them. If there is none of that he is ineffective.

12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

He will make a success of the number ten role, despite what the flat earthers say

He has the ability to, no doubt about that and with Bruce wanting to play him there, in what we are lead to believe is FF’s preferred position then he may well turn into the player that we all want in that position.

Bit of a shitty comment imo the ‘flat earthers’ as people are just pointing out his major flaw when played in the ten role, that and his very good displays when he’s been on the left. 

Well it seems that the manager considers Fernando wasted wide left, so it’s how do we get the best out of him playing in the ten role. I’m not certain we will see him at his best until we sort out the lone striker role. At the moment, Fletcher has that job, and to be fair, his last two games have probably been his best for the club. For me though, he’s too limited to play that role, despite the fact that he’s full of selfless running, and puts himself about to unsettle defenders. We need more than that from our centre forward, but that will have to wait until the summer. Personally, I’d have a look at Joao in that role. Though I have a few reservations about whether he can play the role, he potentially offers more than Fletcher

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

He has the ability to, no doubt about that and with Bruce wanting to play him there, in what we are lead to believe is FF’s preferred position then he may well turn into the player that we all want in that position.

Bit of a shitty comment imo the ‘flat earthers’ as people are just pointing out his major flaw when played in the ten role, that and his very good displays when he’s been on the left. 

Yes, I suppose it was a bit of a snide comment, and it is about opinions, some of which were perfectly valid

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, I suppose it was a bit of a snide comment, and it is about opinions, some of which were perfectly valid

I assume I am one of your flat-earthers.

Its not even about opinions is it? To say “I think FF is better wide than striker” is opinion. To say “FF and the team score far more goals and take far more points when he is played wide rather than striker” is fact.

Flat-earthers were denyers of fact. You have it the wrong way round.

As for his effectiveness as a No 10 - we don’t know yet. Lets hope so, as Bruce looks like playing him there.