Nando Number Ten

54 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

To be abit controversial...

I don't think we've seen Forestieri super fit for quite a while.

I'm not sure many would find that controversial;  he's been injured for the best part of two seasons!

If he can stay fit and get back to his best, we know that he's one of our best attackers. It's just trying to get him fit for a decent stretch of games that's proving difficult...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not sure many would find that controversial;  he's been injured for the best part of two seasons!

If he can stay fit and get back to his best, we know that he's one of our best attackers. It's just trying to get him fit for a decent stretch of games that's proving difficult...

Totally agree. We got an all too short glimpse of him being fit at the back end of last season and he did well.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He’s a great player, and was successful in that wider role because he is such a great player He has never been used in the ten role On Saturday he was, and had he been a little less rusty, it’s no exaggeration to say he could have scored five. That would have surpassed anything he achieved while playing left Finishing apart, he played the role really effectively. Agree with Snoots though, the project was abandoned, probably because we didn’t at the time, have a mobile enough striker to play ahead of him. That is something that still needs to be remedied

Give over, he has played plenty of times as the ten or in the free role because he only plays for himself when he plays upfront centrally. Never mind ifs and buts about being rusty and blaming the lack of a mobile forward for his short comings in that role, look at Hooper to see how you play the ten role - he sees the bigger picture and attempts to play the right option. Look at FF in that role and you see an individual who’s first concern Is himself. He needs to learn to pick the right option.

Guest wilyfox

I've always seen FF as a second-striker. He is effective on the left, but the player himself has said in the past he wants to play through the middle. Playing his preferred position is key to getting him happy confident, and the most out of him.

..which is what worries me a little with Iorfa, hearing him say he wants to be a centre-half.

2 hours ago, RichieB said:

Bruce told The Star: "I don't believe that Forestieri is a left hand sided player. He is off the front and a bit of a free spirit.

Pray for @Holmowl 

As I type this, I am about to enter a Tibetan monestery, never to emerge. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Wrong. 100% wrong as FF’s better displays have been when he’s played left. Hooper at times demonstrated how to play the no.10 role brilliantly. Unless Bruce and FF recognise the reason why he hasn’t been as successful playing centrally then he is going to fail again in that role.

FF has not formed a decent partnership with anyone when he’s played the no.10 role because he’s an individual and chooses the option that’s best for him - not the team. You simply can not have that in a number 10. Look at the pathetic and inexcusable shot he attempted Saturday when any other no.10 squares for Fletcher, it’s the sort of decision a 7 year old would take - totally blinded by the thought of scoring a goal and ignoring the far better place team mate. 

Lets be right here FF is the problem as no one can link with him as no one knows what he’s going to do and he’s selfish git - you can get away with that and those same traits can be a great benefit when he’s playing left but not when he’s central as the no.10. 

It seems that Bruce is going to give him a go in that position and there is no doubt that FF has more than enough ability to play there, it’s the decision making that lets him down - can Bruce get FF choosing the right option? 

Coukd have written that myself, though not as well.

Brilliant wide forward. As his goals and our results show.

Poor striker, as his...etc

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to the role of a number 10 Basically, it’s someone who plays between the lines, and all three players mentioned in this thread, can do the job. All of, Forestieri, Abdi and Hooper, could perform the role, but all are different in their approach. Currently, Forestieri is the fittest of the three, so he is not only the best option, in my opinion, he’s the only option

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to the role of a number 10 Basically, it’s someone who plays between the lines, and all three players mentioned in this thread, can do the job. All of, Forestieri, Abdi and Hooper, could perform the role, but all are different in their approach. Currently, Forestieri is the fittest of the three, so he is not only the best option, in my opinion, he’s the only option

There are different types of number 10’s but (geniuses aside) they all need to have one thing in common - they all need to choose the right option for the situation they are in be that a dribble, a shot, a pass, hold the ball up, try an outrageous bit of skill or whatever, their decision making has to be the right option for the team and not the option for the individual. That is what let’s FF down in that position.

Joao in the last home game came on and quite clearly played as a no.10 and did it pretty well tbf. 

3 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I've always seen FF as a second-striker. He is effective on the left, but the player himself has said in the past he wants to play through the middle. Playing his preferred position is key to getting him happy confident, and the most out of him.

..which is what worries me a little with Iorfa, hearing him say he wants to be a centre-half.

You've got to think that Bruce has plans for him as a CB for him to make those comments.

I wouldn't be suprised if Iorfa has been brought in to play as a CB in a back 3 in the long term. 

16 minutes ago, RichieB said:

You've got to think that Bruce has plans for him as a CB for him to make those comments.

I wouldn't be suprised if Iorfa has been brought in to play as a CB in a back 3 in the long term. 

Probably cover for any right sided defensive position RB or CB

5 hours ago, simpark said:

McGugan still only 30. Went on to make 9 appearance for Northampton, left and not played for over a year now. What a waste

I spoke to one of his close friends last summer and he basically said that McGugan's heart's not in it, he's always had a problem with those in authority, and he's made enough money from the game to feel comfortable for now.

He was laughing about the fact that McGugan's fallen out with almost every coach he's played under, whilst acknowledging that he'd have killed to have the same talent and opportunities his mate had.

It seems a shame to me how his career has gone, especially as I was touting his signing on here before we had any reported interest, but it's his life and his decisions. 

I think he'll be better in the number 10, gives him more freedom to drop when needed and doesn't have the responsibility of tracking back. Every team has their luxury player who you can just let them do whatever they want, FF is ours.  

The difference between FF and others like him is he will put the work in and chase people down.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Probably cover for any right sided defensive position RB or CB

Doubt he's be signed as cover for anybody.  Bruce played with a 3 at Hull.  I'm expecting Iorfa to on the right of the 3.

3 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Players of his ability should not be shackled, pleased that Bruce is giving him a free rein. 

Totally agree.

He was more than a handful Saturday, although a bit rusty.

Much more dangerous when floating around upfront ala Messi.

And yes he could have put Fletch in at one point but remember he's only just come back from several weeks out.

Hope Bruce leaves him in free role.

Everybody remembers Carlos’s first season as the time FF was at his best, especially late in games.

It was no coincidence that this was when the team attacked as a team with Lee, Bannan , Wallace, FF pressing high , winning the ball back and playing neat quick passing football on the deck.

I don’t remember FF having decision making issues , he was fully involved in the passing game.

If FF is to be successful in the role Bruce describes then this is the way we need to play. 

Leave the front two isolated, play a static sitting midfield, too many long balls then FF will hang onto any ball he gets and be kicked to death by hairy a*sed defenders while they accuse him of diving .

7 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Why does it worry you?........we're going to need a centre half next season when Hector goes back, and can't help thinking 6' 4'' is too tall for a full back.

As for FF, I'm in the Holmowl camp, for me his best position is left side of a front 3, but.........we don't have many options up front and Fletcher on his own is always too isolated, he needs someone to play off and link up with, hopefully FF can learn to be less greedy and make that role his own, or at least until Hooper is back(prays).