Nando Number Ten

23 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

If Bruce persists with this it’s not going to end well. 

He is a left sided player who cuts and support the front two - that’s when he has been the most effective.

Whenever he has played in another position it generally hasn’t worked.

I see him left of a 3, not as a 10.

He's too greedy to play 10. 

Hooper is a 10.

39 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

If Bruce persists with this it’s not going to end well. 

He is a left sided player who cuts and support the front two - that’s when he has been the most effective.

Whenever he has played in another position it generally hasn’t worked.

Needless to say I agree completely.

I hope Bruce doesn’t think FF has lost what he once had. I hope he switches him wide and will then soon realise his value to the team. 

At home...I'd be playing him wide left or part of a front three. 

Problem with him being up top is he inevitably receives the ball with his back to goal. I don't think that suits his game. He wants to be receiving the ball whilst facing defenders. 

Guest wilyfox

He's not sharp enough yet and he knows it. He's trying to compensate by putting himself about a bit, but finds himself in areas we don't really want him in as a result. He'll sharpen up. All about keeping him fit and getting him out there game after game. 

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

He's not sharp enough yet and he knows it. He's trying to compensate by putting himself about a bit, but finds himself in areas we don't really want him in as a result. He'll sharpen up. All about keeping him fit and getting him out there game after game. 

And play him on the left

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Its 10% him needing match fitness and 90% sorting out his best position. He is not a striker and by always dropping super-deep we play 451 at home to a relegation side.

We need 442 or 433, with FF wide.

I concur with most of the above posts. His best position is definitely left of a front 3 in a 4-3-3. He’s a wide forward in my opinion without having a defensive responsibility playing wide in a 4-4-2. I don’t like him in the number 10 role. He often gets knocked off the ball and he’s ineffective. I like him running at defenders especially the full back. 

Will Bruce do a formation change to a 4-3-3? I also think we will get the best out of Bannan in this formation.

It's an interesting question for sure and one worthy of a discussion.  

I can see where Holmowl is coming from and it does make sense to a degree.  

Say yesterday, if Nando played where Boyd was playing out on the left flank, with Joao and Fletcher up top.  I think that would have worked.  

We are certainly lacking that creative spark in midfield, and we are certainly lacking that decisiveness up top.  

Forestieri would certainly give us that spark whilst freeing up a striker position to play alongside Fletcher.  It could, one give Joao the opportunity to start games, which I think we should be doing, and two would also open up a chance for another striker to come off the bench, possibly giving Winnall the game time he needs.  

Bruce will no doubt have to formulate a plan to get this team scoring.  

My thinking about the number 10 role, if he was given the license to drift to the left or right from the central position, then would certainly see him having more influence on the game.  

The real issue though for me, is that he needs to get back to playing week in week out.  Build up fitness, get back up to speed and build some consistency.  That's where the problem lies.  I think FF has had about 7 starts this season.  It's been stop start for a while now, and it shows.  

The same could also be said for Joao, who really should be starting week in week out.  Even though he is our top scorer, I don't think we have seen him get out of second gear.  

Essentially they need regular games to build up consistency, then the goals should start to flow.  

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:53, adelphi1867 said:

A passenger yesterday, thought Joao would have come on for him after 60 mins.

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what meritted his original inclusion.

FF's form is a place on the bench at best for me atm.