Nando Number Ten

Was Saturday the first time that FF has played a whole game for us as a number ten?  He has almost always been as a striker in a front two or on the left.

This is odd because he was seemingly signed to play that role.  Carlos came in and clearly wanted to play 4-2-3-1 with McGugan picked to play at 10 with Wallace and Matias either side.  But him and McGugan fell out as the latter wanted to play deep in one of the two roles instead.  So at the end of the transfer window they brought in FF to play that position.  But by then the emergence of Lee meant a move to 4-4-2 and he's never played that position since.  Even when playing as diamond CC said he didn't think FF could play in the hole.

Why has it taken so long and could it be a success?

He will thrive in a free role behind the striker, work rate is spot on and he will create chances. Bruce is the type of manager who understands what you get with FF, will put his arm round him, support him and get him firing again I’m pretty confident of it 

• Like 1

I have always seen Fessi as an inside forward coming in off the left. This gives him space to run into and at defenders, as opposed to playing with his back to goal.

His second position would be as a number 10, but i think he is more a dribbler than a creative type. He doesn't exactly slip countless through balls in. I would have him cutting in from wide and running at the box or driving the ball across from wide. He will score as many cutting in than he would from being in a number 10 where he will often be crowded out by bigger centre halves. 

For me Bruce stating Fessi is "one of the best in the champ" and claiming he is a 'number 10,' sets us up to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond). I would be looking at 4-3-3 ideally but thats a preference for me. 

9 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I have always seen Fessi as an inside forward coming in off the left. This gives him space to run into and at defenders, as opposed to playing with his back to goal.

His second position would be as a number 10, but i think he is more a dribbler than a creative type. He doesn't exactly slip countless through balls in. I would have him cutting in from wide and running at the box or driving the ball across from wide. He will score as many cutting in than he would from being in a number 10 where he will often be crowded out by bigger centre halves. 

For me Bruce stating Fessi is "one of the best in the champ" and claiming he is a 'number 10,' sets us up to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond). I would be looking at 4-3-3 ideally but thats a preference for me. 

He’s the only player who can play the ten role He knows how to play in between the lines

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Carlos came in and clearly wanted to play 4-2-3-1 with McGugan picked to play at 10 with Wallace and Matias either side.  But him and McGugan fell out as the latter wanted to play deep in one of the two roles instead.  So at the end of the transfer window they brought in FF to play that position. 

McGugan still only 30. Went on to make 9 appearance for Northampton, left and not played for over a year now. What a waste

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He’s the only player who can play the ten role He knows how to play in between the lines

He was at his dominant best in our first season playing in off the left. He has only gone downhill and never bene as consistent or a down right impactful since that season and since his change in position. 

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Wrong. 100% wrong as FF’s better displays have been when he’s played left. Hooper at times demonstrated how to play the no.10 role brilliantly. Unless Bruce and FF recognise the reason why he hasn’t been as successful playing centrally then he is going to fail again in that role.

FF has not formed a decent partnership with anyone when he’s played the no.10 role because he’s an individual and chooses the option that’s best for him - not the team. You simply can not have that in a number 10. Look at the pathetic and inexcusable shot he attempted Saturday when any other no.10 squares for Fletcher, it’s the sort of decision a 7 year old would take - totally blinded by the thought of scoring a goal and ignoring the far better place team mate. 

Lets be right here FF is the problem as no one can link with him as no one knows what he’s going to do and he’s selfish git - you can get away with that and those same traits can be a great benefit when he’s playing left but not when he’s central as the no.10. 

It seems that Bruce is going to give him a go in that position and there is no doubt that FF has more than enough ability to play there, it’s the decision making that lets him down - can Bruce get FF choosing the right option? 

Guest addedtime
2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

FF just needs one instruction...go and cause havoc 

Exactly. Have 9 players knowing their strict positions and just say "Fernando, go enjoy yourself old chap".

20 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

He was at his dominant best in our first season playing in off the left. He has only gone downhill and never bene as consistent or a down right impactful since that season and since his change in position. 

That's because we were at our dominant best. 

I trust Bruce to get the best out of Forestieri and this is the position for him to do it in.

2 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Was Saturday the first time that FF has played a whole game for us as a number ten?  He has almost always been as a striker in a front two or on the left.

This is odd because he was seemingly signed to play that role.  Carlos came in and clearly wanted to play 4-2-3-1 with McGugan picked to play at 10 with Wallace and Matias either side.  But him and McGugan fell out as the latter wanted to play deep in one of the two roles instead.  So at the end of the transfer window they brought in FF to play that position.  But by then the emergence of Lee meant a move to 4-4-2 and he's never played that position since.  Even when playing as diamond CC said he didn't think FF could play in the hole.

Why has it taken so long and could it be a success?

Not so sure the emergence of Lee was behind he move to 4-4-2 more than us not having a striker with the combination of mobile and strength to play the lone role. 

32 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To be honest I think Hooper has shown he has all the qualities to play  in just such a role. Though was never afforded the opportunity in Carlos' 4-4-2. And of course never being fit under Luhukay.

One would suspect Abdi might have all the attributes to make a terrific number ten based on his career pre - Hillsborough.

Though sadly,  I suspect we'll never know.

11 minutes ago, Walt said:

Wrong. 100% wrong as FF’s better displays have been when he’s played left. Hooper at times demonstrated how to play the no.10 role brilliantly. Unless Bruce and FF recognise the reason why he hasn’t been as successful playing centrally then he is going to fail again in that role.

FF has not formed a decent partnership with anyone when he’s played the no.10 role because he’s an individual and chooses the option that’s best for him - not the team. You simply can not have that in a number 10. Look at the pathetic and inexcusable shot he attempted Saturday when any other no.10 squares for Fletcher, it’s the sort of decision a 7 year old would take - totally blinded by the thought of scoring a goal and ignoring the far better place team mate. 

Lets be right here FF is the problem as no one can link with him as no one knows what he’s going to do and he’s selfish git - you can get away with that and those same traits can be a great benefit when he’s playing left but not when he’s central as the no.10. 

It seems that Bruce is going to give him a go in that position and there is no doubt that FF has more than enough ability to play there, it’s the decision making that lets him down - can Bruce get FF choosing the right option? 

He’s a great player, and was successful in that wider role because he is such a great player He has never been used in the ten role On Saturday he was, and had he been a little less rusty, it’s no exaggeration to say he could have scored five. That would have surpassed anything he achieved while playing left Finishing apart, he played the role really effectively. Agree with Snoots though, the project was abandoned, probably because we didn’t at the time, have a mobile enough striker to play ahead of him. That is something that still needs to be remedied

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

He played up top in his first year, the reason we got the playing off the left is where he is best is towards the end of the game when we would throw strikers on he would move out wide and with tired defenders and more space he would produce. And he did this on a regular basis. However, when started out wide he wasn't as effective.

I think he's a striker or number ten that needs freedom. And with a manager who understands this I think we'll see the best of him, and I am still adamant he is one of the best in the league.