Our Penalty Decision

7 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

No, the penalty can be awarded after the ball has gone out of play, so that part of the process was correct (even if VAR proved the decision to award the penalty was wrong). The point of the drop-ball restart, however, is because if he blows the whistle to award the penalty whilst the ball is still in play, it can affect what the players were doing (i.e. they may play to the whistle and stop instead of trying to intercept the ball). A drop-ball is the only fair way to restart in that case. In tonight's case the ball was out of play already when the whistle was blown, so the correct way to restart would've been with the corner.

Here it is from the rulebook:

How does play restart after the review?

Once the referee has reached a final decision, the match must be restarted as follows:

• if a decision is not changed, play restarts according to the original decision

• if a decision is changed or a ‘missed’ offence is identified, play restarts with the correct

restart for the ‘new’ decision.

• if play was stopped for a review and the original decision is not overturned, play

restarts with a dropped ball where the ball was when play was stopped

In tonight's case the ref applied the third option, but because he hadn't stopped play (the ball was already out of play when he made the decision), he should've applied the second option and the game should've restarted with a corner (which would've been the 'new decision' after viewing the video).

28 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Once the referee has reached a final decision, the match must be restarted as follows:

• if a decision is not changed, play restarts according to the original decision

• if a decision is changed or a ‘missed’ offence is identified, play restarts with the correct

• if play was stopped for a review and the original decision is not overturned, play

In tonight's case the ref applied the third option, but because he hadn't stopped play (the ball was already out of play when he made the decision), he should've applied the second option and the game should've restarted with a corner (which would've been the 'new decision' after viewing the video).

According to that quoted bit, only the middle point is valid to our scenario... the decision was altered. Surely having had the ball tackled fairly out for a corner that means it should have been a corner?

Lord knows. Certainly my interpretation both before and after the incident seems to me to be the common sense one, but I guess it's just the wrong one irregardless. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

According to that quoted bit, only the middle point is valid to our scenario... the decision was altered. Surely having had the ball tackled fairly out for a corner that means it should have been a corner?

Lord knows. Certainly my interpretation both before and after the incident seems to me to be the common sense one, but I guess it's just the wrong one irregardless. 

Exactly my point. The correct decision would've been to change the decision from 'penalty' to 'corner'. The ball was out of play before the whistle was blown, so the third point doesn't even come into consideration.

I just miss the days when that would never have been questioned as a penalty because the tackle was nowhere near going through him to take him out. Less than 20 years ago, that’s just a corner and a shin-rub.

Ridiculous that we now go to a team of telly analysts miles away; it’s a fair enough attempt at a last-ditch tackle, not an especially good one (missed player and ball!), but a million miles away from an actual bodily ‘foul’.

VAR is daft, it makes the game petty. Play to the whistle of course, but play the game first and foremost. The whistle should interrupt the game when it needs to be stopped, it’s not the conductor’s baton dictating the ebb and flow.

Too many players treat the ref like a teammate they don’t get on with - not the case with Joey’s situation, but in general I’m sick of seeing us and other teams gesticulating and moaning while the ball is still in play. Gerronwi’it ffs!

Edited by Mr. Tom

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

Would it have been so difficult for the VAR reviewers to say "It wasn't a penalty, restart with a corner "? 

Surely they have to be fully aware of the above ruling, but clearly ignored it. 

57 minutes ago, A12owl said:

It's ok Trev if every game in a certain competion has it. It's either every game or none. It should be a rule one way or another.

Ask Millwall and Everton.

nah not for me mate , soon you will get pulled up if you are not breathing right lol footballs a simple game where pitting wits against each other is the point of it and decision's are made or not made as part of it , stopping a game and  and starting  it again to check whether var agrees or doesent agree with the decision will make the game sterile as would sin bins and all the rest of the rubbish the fa dreams up ,

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

If the decision isn’t overturned, why would you re-start with a drop ball, as per the 3rd option there?  That seems to suggest if you give a pen, review it and it’s confirmed it was correct, you re-start with a drop ball.  As I missing something?

6 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

If the decision isn’t overturned, why would you re-start with a drop ball, as per the 3rd option there?  That seems to suggest if you give a pen, review it and it’s confirmed it was correct, you re-start with a drop ball.  As I missing something?

I think (but not sure) that it refers to a situation where the VAR people spot something that wasn't picked up by the ref and then ask the ref to stop play so that there can be a review. I believe the ref has to wait until the ball is in a 'neutral' area before stopping play. If they review it and nothing comes of it, then they restart with a drop-ball.