Our Penalty Decision

As I stated in another thread, the only thing that was consistent about the use of VAR was that all the games involving the Premier League’s elite clubs had it. Otherwise it was hit and miss. 

That’s not right. All games should have it, or none of them. You can’t have inconsistencies in decision making.

Something else the FA have got wrong.

4 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Surely the ref should be instructing the players its a contested drop ball??  No chance they would have got a pen 60 seconds later had he done that. Clearly he didn't know the rules. Pathetic 

If our players decide not to contest the drop-ball, there's phoook all the Ref can do about it.

Edited by roaminowl
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

Its in the rules. Ref blew for penalty before ball went out for a corner, therefore its a drop ball.

If a VAR review determines that play should not have been stopped, such as reversing a decision to award a penalty, play is restarted with a drop ball at the point of the incorrect call.

Not sure why we didn't contest it. Perhaps the players didn't understand the rule either!

No he didn't. You can hear the whistle being blown after the ball goes out of play. I wondered if it might be that we hear it late because of the distance the sound has to travel, but it comes from microphones around the edge of the pitch so there's no delay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47020999

1 minute ago, punkskaphil said:

No he didn't. You can hear the whistle being blown after the ball goes out of play. I wondered if it might be that we hear it late because of the distance the sound has to travel, but it comes from microphones around the edge of the pitch so there's no delay.

It's irrelevant though. He gave a penalty.

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Well, if *if* he blew after the ball went out then I can't explain why he didn't award the corner so I assumed that he did blow beforehand. Still, if a mistake was made it certainly wouldn't be the first nor will it be the last.

. I'n not sure on our overruled pen by VAR committee. Only seen it three times and I think there is a case that the Chelski defender deliberately tries to prevent a clean strike at the ball. He hasn't attempted to play the ball and his calf is kicked because of this, consequently his foot is launched into contact with the ball, rather than playing the ball cleanly. If so it should have been a penalty. Have a look, several looks and see what you think once having reflected ? 

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, punkskaphil said:

It's not irrelevant. The rule states that the drop-ball results if he'd stopped play. He didn't stop play because the ball had already gone out when he blew the whistle.

So he couldn't have awarded us a penalty because he didn't blow his whistle before play was stopped? :wacko:

... we’re blaming the ref and milliseconds ...

The only mistake made was the ref actually blowing for a penalty to us. VAR at all games

or none but to feel cheated because of what happened makes us sound like spoiled kids.

Rubbish decision, excellent tackle and he took the ball with his toe and steered it away from goal and we were asleep for the drop ball. 

Very, very good young player. 

Edited by Freshfish

In real time, I didn't think ours was and I did think theirs was. VAR confirmed my first impressions.

It's just so typical that any other season in history we'd have got the decision - and away at Chelsea of all places - but as is the Wednesday way the footballing gods urinated on our bonfire. Not that it would have made a difference - we weren't at the races today - but at least the fans could have had something to cheer about...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

If our players decide not to contest the drop-ball, there's phoook all the Ref can do about it.

Why would our players decide not to contest it? Unless they thought a different decision had been given. In which case the ref has not been clear in his officiating, so it’s still his fault

6 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

So he couldn't have awarded us a penalty because he didn't blow his whistle before play was stopped? :wacko:

No, the penalty can be awarded after the ball has gone out of play, so that part of the process was correct (even if VAR proved the decision to award the penalty was wrong). The point of the drop-ball restart, however, is because if he blows the whistle to award the penalty whilst the ball is still in play, it can affect what the players were doing (i.e. they may play to the whistle and stop instead of trying to intercept the ball). A drop-ball is the only fair way to restart in that case. In tonight's case the ball was out of play already when the whistle was blown, so the correct way to restart would've been with the corner.