Is Steve Bruce the answer

I’m really not convinced. Many think he is past it, and hasn’t adapted to the modern game. 

Allegedly prepared Villa against our main threat (Forestieri) who was suspended. Doesn’t do tactics. Gets older players in on high wages. Hoofball. His record is ok in places, but not amazing. 

I will of course support whoever comes in, and would prefer Bruce over some unknown entity from Europe, but I can’t help but think there are better options...

Can remember similar things said about Warnock before he took over at Cardiff. In a similar state to us, he stabilised them with his nous and experience. Then he galvanised them and got them up the following season. Not saying, the same will happen here but it strikes me as a smart move. The likes of Bruce and Warnock know the League inside out. Hopefully it will work but whatever happens, to me it at least would appear that Chansiri's finally learning from his mistakes. Just hope he lets the new man do things his way (that's crucial).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

I’m really not convinced. Many think he is past it, and hasn’t adapted to the modern game. 

Allegedly prepared Villa against our main threat (Forestieri) who was suspended. Doesn’t do tactics. Gets older players in on high wages. Hoofball. His record is ok in places, but not amazing. 

I will of course support whoever comes in, and would prefer Bruce over some unknown entity from Europe, but I can’t help but think there are better options...

Who do you think the better options are?

11 minutes ago, PopePiusX said:

Bruce would be a slightly uninspiring but not terrible choice. There was an awful lot of nonsense at Villa and I suspect his position there became untenable, but his record is OK.

4 clubs promoted and playoff finals to boot.

Id say it’s a bit better than ok.

..people thinking we can do better are kidding themselves - we have little to offer at present and rejecting a manager with Bruce’s  record and experience at this level would be foolish IMO.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Me too 

1 minute ago, acquiescefc said:

Ask a Villa fan

Ask the fans of all his previous clubs 

He gets pelters from all of them. 

Scouring past reports on all his tenures he doesn’t get great press from any of them. Which is alarming to say he has promotions on his CV. 

For me he wouldn’t be the right appointment for the following reasons,

Never thought he’s done a good job, all been par for the course or worse 

Feel he’s in the Mark Hughes, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince bracket - good contacts, well known but not going to ever push a team on 

Does he have the fire, ambition, desire to take us on? (Fact he’s having a holiday first doesn’t fill me with confidence on his desire)

A lot of money to entice him. 

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Good grief!

He isn't even here yet and is already  under fire!

Our fans, honestly!

Not under fire at all. This is an open debate discussing his past record and querying if we think he would be a good appointment. 

Surely we are are allowed to do that? 

• Like 2

I think he is the answer or at least hope he is.

i think whoever we choose as manager should have a promotion from the championship on their cv and certainly not some leftfield gamble.

Bruce has four promotions so that will do for me.  Well done to Chansiri for changing tack and learning from his mistakes.

Edited by York_Owl