Is Steve Bruce the answer

Don’t get all these bad vibes to Bruce, I think he would be a very sensible appointment knows the league brings a good team with him. A few have mentioned jokanovic,has it occurred to anyone he probably just doesn’t want the job. I for one is going to support Bruce, there is a lot lot worse, he has a job on his hands with the state of the club at the minute, this is what chansiri is on about with our fans we’ve got people on here complaining about Steve Bruce come on let’s support him and the players!

• Thanks 1

Steve Bruce is exactly what we need right now. 

Our current squad has plenty of experience. Also, if Bruce is agreeing to come here there must be some money knocking around for January. I’m not sure how but there’s no way he’d come here just to oversee a clearout with no investment. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, crookesowl said:

I’m really not convinced. Many think he is past it, and hasn’t adapted to the modern game. 

Allegedly prepared Villa against our main threat (Forestieri) who was suspended. Doesn’t do tactics. Gets older players in on high wages. Hoofball. His record is ok in places, but not amazing. 

I will of course support whoever comes in, and would prefer Bruce over some unknown entity from Europe, but I can’t help but think there are better options...

Like.....

My only concern is how much does he really want the job or is it the reported 40K a week he just can't turn down. I want someone who really wants the job, I'm sure Holloway would come for 5k a week untill the end of the season, then reassess. What happens if a new owner comes in and doesn't want Bruce, and he's got a big fat contract. 

Hes not really my first choice, id prefer a young uk manager. The one at Lincoln, would be my choice, as im a greedy. As apposed to someone on the merry go round. 

However that said, out of those availble. Hes the one with the best record. Certainly interested to see if he becomes the legend to take us back. 

I think we have to take on board that Bruce is a bit rustic in terms of tactics but he can use his contacts to get good players on the pitch. What happens then seems to .... well ... just happen or not as the case may be. Last two play off finals he has had the better starting 11 but whereas they got the first goal against us, he just hung back against Fulham until it was too late. 

The fact he played Grealish most of last season gives me hope he will try and encourage some of our better youngsters but he is more likely to do a big clear out and we will end up with 6 originals and 5 loanees - probably a more sustainable model for getting out of the division than DCs hoarder attitude which has bloated the squad.

i am a bit anxious that fans will give him time though. I like the guy cos he has always spoken respectfully about the club and eg when Fessi got wrongly sent off at Hull he was honest enough to admit it. It probably goes back to the battles we had with Man U when we could stand toe to toe with them in the 1990s and he was one of the voices urging Fergie to sign Hirst. Those days seem so far off now - hope he can at least get some sort of a tune out of the team for the rest of the season and mount a challenge 2019-20.

20 hours ago, torres said:

Ask the fans of all his previous clubs 

He gets pelters from all of them. 

Scouring past reports on all his tenures he doesn’t get great press from any of them. Which is alarming to say he has promotions on his CV. 

For me he wouldn’t be the right appointment for the following reasons,

Never thought he’s done a good job, all been par for the course or worse 

Feel he’s in the Mark Hughes, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince bracket - good contacts, well known but not going to ever push a team on 

Does he have the fire, ambition, desire to take us on? (Fact he’s having a holiday first doesn’t fill me with confidence on his desire)

A lot of money to entice him. 

He’s having a “holiday” with his family as both his parents died this year - some people!!!!

20 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

If the question is: Who was the manager of Aston Villa before Dean Smith?

Strange thread. You could ask who likes custard over semolina and it would sooner or later come back round to someones dead grandma or JL. Odd folk. :luhukay: My grandmas dead but she wouldn't be seen living on here.

In terms of his time at Villa he picked them up in a state post relegation and RDM recruitment. Seemed to find a balance and stabilised.

Got them to the playoff final and lost narrowly. Could’ve been different had Grealish buried one.

This season was a disaster, but there were hardly solid foundations in the summer either.

Im chuffed he’s coming in under the circumstances, I felt so low when Jos was appointed. However, my only concern is that I couldn’t really tell you what the identity of a steve Bruce team is. They usually rely on individuals to pull something out the bag. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Im chuffed he’s coming in under the circumstances, I felt so low when Jos was appointed. However, my only concern is that I couldn’t really tell you what the identity of a steve Bruce team is. They usually rely on individuals to pull something out the bag. 

Which is interesting as Adam Reach would be one of those players.  But is Reach sold in Jan to enable Bruce to bring in other signings.

January transfer window could be nuts.

• Like 1

I think its a bad choice. A reputed £2m a year, plus his two assistants.  And Jos will want his contract paying up.

Bruce always annoys me by calling us Sheffield, as he does with United, even though he managed them (unsuccessfully).  

I live near Hull and there were no protests when he left them.

I'm sure he'll do better than Jos, but I'd have preferred the two brothers from Lincoln, given we can't spend anything without first getting rid of players.  

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

In terms of his time at Villa he picked them up in a state post relegation and RDM recruitment. Seemed to find a balance and stabilised.

Got them to the playoff final and lost narrowly. Could’ve been different had Grealish buried one.

This season was a disaster, but there were hardly solid foundations in the summer either.

Yeah villa could have folded like many relegated clubs but he got them to the final.

There was some faffing about with the takeover and then he got exactly 2 months of the season.

So it's hard to really judge his time at Villa.

But he's experienced and knows the players in this league. Which people scoff at but he'll know who he needs,where as Jos couldn't really know the players inside out in England.

We can pick spots off his career but equally point to the promotions.

He's no guarantee of success but id be happy with him.

He will need time. Especially as we won't be throwing money around.

But I have more faith he could build a side given the time than Jos could.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, billyblack said:

We were crap at wembley, rabbit in headlights rather than hull being great

True I guess.. 

Differemt angle but it highlighted where we were weak and failed to improve. 

Bruce might not be the answer but he’s as as high profile as we can expect to get and will have more pulling power than Jos.

I always think timing is everything with managerial appointments. Different managers excel in different circumstances. Is he the right man at the right time? 

Right now I'd say we need an experienced man with a proven track record at this level. So in that regard, he's as good as we could currently get. Will instantly command the respect of the players (senior pros in particular). 

On the other hand, how hungry is he for the tough slog ahead? And I'd also question whether we have the type of players Bruce likes. If I remember rightly his Hull and Villa sides were full of experience and physicality.