Is Steve Bruce the answer

59 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

I’m really not convinced. Many think he is past it, and hasn’t adapted to the modern game. 

Allegedly prepared Villa against our main threat (Forestieri) who was suspended. Doesn’t do tactics. Gets older players in on high wages. Hoofball. His record is ok in places, but not amazing. 

I will of course support whoever comes in, and would prefer Bruce over some unknown entity from Europe, but I can’t help but think there are better options...

Also set his Hull team up to batter us at Wembley

Can’t understand anyone who would turn their noses up at him. 2 Promotions at Birmingham and 2 at Hull. 

Villa fans were on his case due to his Birmingham connections. He took over a very bad Villa and in his first full season got them to the play off final, they had a poor start this season, possibly due to the fact they didn’t bring in replacements for players like Snodgrass, Grabban, Terry and Johnstone until the end of the window. 

We are in a very tough position where we need an experienced championship manager who is proven at promotions and working wonders in the transfer market. He ticks both boxes for me. Don’t care one bit if he plays “hoof ball” as long as he has 11 players working hard and picking up points. I’ve been watching us try and play “passing football” under Luhukay and trust me it has been some of the most torturous football I’ve ever endured at Hillsborough. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

I’m really not convinced. Many think he is past it, and hasn’t adapted to the modern game. 

Allegedly prepared Villa against our main threat (Forestieri) who was suspended. Doesn’t do tactics. Gets older players in on high wages. Hoofball. His record is ok in places, but not amazing. 

I will of course support whoever comes in, and would prefer Bruce over some unknown entity from Europe, but I can’t help but think there are better options...

Right now , I don't see any better options out there . We went going to poach a manager who is in a job .

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Can remember similar things said about Warnock before he took over at Cardiff. In a similar state to us, he stabilised them with his nous and experience. Then he galvanised them and got them up the following season. Not saying, the same will happen here but it strikes me as a smart move. The likes of Bruce and Warnock know the League inside out. Hopefully it will work but whatever happens, to me it at least would appear that Chansiri's finally learning from his mistakes. Just hope he lets the new man do things his way (that's crucial).

Thats because warnock is a good manager

Villa were a mess before Bruce arrives

He steadied the ship, took them from 19th to mid table and then got them in the play offs the following year

Should he have done better? Definitely imo.

However if he does similar for us here he’ll have worked wonders.

If he can leave us in 2/3 years time with a squad capable of challenging for promotion with a new manager able to slot in easily, it’ll be a job well done for me.

Who knows if Bruce is the answer, we shall see. But given his experience in the game i’d say he’s more likely to be than an unknown. 

He is a safe appointment, commands respect and will have good contacts in the game. I think this also marks a change in direction as others have said - he’ll not want Doyen and the like getting involved.

Yes, Villa is a black mark against his name. But most available managers will have ultimately failed at their last job. That’s life. 

We need a young up and coming manager who can spot talent from 5 miles, who can operate with a budget of £1M per year.

He needs to play exciting attacking football. He will need to show he has defensive qualities when needed.

He will need to get on with fans, and talk and look like Brad Pitt in after match interviews.

Trouble is he will end up at Barcelona, Real Madrid or AC Milan.

Not sultry Sheff.

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Can remember similar things said about Warnock before he took over at Cardiff. In a similar state to us, he stabilised them with his nous and experience. Then he galvanised them and got them up the following season. Not saying, the same will happen here but it strikes me as a smart move. The likes of Bruce and Warnock know the League inside out. Hopefully it will work but whatever happens, to me it at least would appear that Chansiri's finally learning from his mistakes. Just hope he lets the new man do things his way (that's crucial).

Id rather have warnock honestly over Bruce, I really think we need to think about this one very carefully otherwise we could be the next Pompey.

Chansiri is the one who scares me the most, Im not sacking Jos he said then last night he sacks him.

Yes I wanted jos gone too but its all upside down to me and Bruce might not be the answer.

1 hour ago, torres said:

Does he have the fire, ambition, desire to take us on? (Fact he’s having a holiday first doesn’t fill me with confidence on his desire)

Apparently he's had a shi**y 12 months. His mother sufferred a stroke, a few months later his father passed away, and a few months later his mother passed on.  Arranged a family holiday - think he deserves one.

I think he might come back refreshed, more focussed. Can't think of many that would be better equipped to sort this shambles out.

I've heard hes recuperating on holiday after the loss of both parents recently. 

My worry would be if his mindset is at the moment going to be strong enough to deal with this basket case of a club and mess we're currently residing in. Whether he is capable of cleaning Dc/CC and jos mess up as it's a big task and going to take a real mental toll. 

I've honestly never been a fan of his, he's a bit drab, boring and uninspiring, a bit like jos, but if it is him then I'll back him and give him time as there will be NO instant fix here just a very hard road to recover and decisions many fans may not like to make regarding players. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

Excellent manager, not going to let one blip at Villa fool me (if 45%+ win percentage and playoff final is a blip then fuck me what do people expect!) Always rated him as a manager and wanted him to manage us, not sure where this hoofball comes from, I really enjoyed watching his Wigan team and even with their low budget in the EPL they were far from hoofball.

• Like 2