I’m worried

41 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Some good points. I'd also like to add...

How will our dutch contingent Joey Pelupessy and Joost Van Aken react to their countryman getting sacked.

Joao and Matias improved quite dramatically when Carlos departed, as did Nuhiu.

That's the English players fizzed then...

Guest Jack the Hat
3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

“Bruce record with Villa was shambolic” 

Would people be making this statement Last summer?

In his first full season he got them to the playoff final.

Teams who lose in the playoff final usually have a dip at the start of the next - ask Carlos. Plus Bruce has had a bad year personally.  I think writing him off for the past 3 months, despite his previous 15+ years in management, is a little unfair 

^^^This. I'm not Bruce's biggest fan but he knows the championship and has FOUR premier league promotions under his belt. That's twice as many as Wednesday have in my lifetime- and I'm getting on a bit now. The point about his personal life is valid. I can't imagine having to put up with the public  stresses and strains of such a job whilst losing my parents. He has my deepest sympathies on that. It must have adversely affected him. He is a human being after all..

That is probably my main reservation about appointing Bruce. He’s a bit Ron the manager, and has never struck me as a master tactician. It is the modern, mainly overseas coaches, with a good tactical brain, who are prepared to innovate, who are proving a success in British football. Some younger British coaches are following suit, Wilder for example, but too many of our old school coaches aren’t prepared to change.

Having said that though, we certainly needed a change, Jos wasn’t working. Bruce will bring other attributes, his knowledge of the division, and his contacts in the game, for a start. One of the many issues Villa fans had with him was, when the money ran out, he didn’t know how to motivate the team. He will face a similar situation here, so if he comes, let’s hope he’s learned from his time at Villa

45 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Some good points. I'd also like to add...

How will our dutch contingent Joey Pelupessy and Joost Van Aken react to their countryman getting sacked.

Joao and Matias improved quite dramatically when Carlos departed, as did Nuhiu.

van aken will be pleased, jos has had him on a massive pre season which upto now has involved 5 u23 games and 10 weeks training so a new manager will give him a new chance , as for pelupessy surely he will be no more than a squad player as clearly he aint good enough. 

10 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Love how people are praying Bruce comes in and gets us up , despite us having no money or good players .

lets just hope we don’t do a Portsmouth first 

Fair comment, but all it needs sometimes is a spark. I've seen players come out of nowhere under certain managers, but I've also seen big name players flop under some managers. Doesn't everyone deserve a chance? 

7 minutes ago, kristmace said:

He didn't have *that* much to spend at Villa. Most of the money spunking was done before he arrived. Over his 2 years at Villa they recouped from sales more than Bruce spent.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/aston-villa/alletransfers/verein/405

Stop talking sense. The naysayers want to claim that Bruce is useless without zillions to spend.

Even though he ultimately failed at Villa for some reason, his win record with them was 45.1% - which has only been bettered by 3 SWFC managers in our entire history...

17 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Love how people are praying Bruce comes in and gets us up , despite us having no money or good players .

Quite alarming really. Folk on here are either defending Bruce or trying to justify why he would a good manager. We are extremely desperate and that is very very worrying. Its only 12 months ago when folk were ridiculing the thought of Bruce coming here, now, its like some are begging for him to come. They change like the tide.

1 hour ago, owls7 said:

I think we have to take a chance/gamble you look at Steve Bruce's record and hope he can do what he's done in the past I think it's worth the risk.

Can’t be worse that we’ve had recently haha end of day he’ll keep us up Personally don’t know why we are picking Bruce but atleast hes better 

Edited by Lomas613

Think under Bruce we will have a steady but unspectacular rest of season and finish about 12th.

Have a clue what will happen next season as likely to be many changes.

But hoping a manager like Bruce wont put up with decisions like bringing an expensive signing like Rhodes in when it was clear the manager wasnt too fussed about him.

Poor bloke can’t win.

Bruce for Jos, reyt improvement.

Might be what keeps us up, we were going down with Jos.

Financial difference in the grand scheme of things, probably not much.

A bloke in January with the ability to wheel and deal who knows better than Jos what’s needed, and will attract players using his contacts, players who will want to come here to play for Bruce.

Just get used to losing some names you’d wish to keep if we weren’t where we are. 

Let them get on with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, james o connor said:

We could always give JoC a ring at Orlando? Probably bring Potter in as his assistant? I'd love to see that :duntmatter:

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Stop talking sense. The naysayers want to claim that Bruce is useless without zillions to spend.

Even though he ultimately failed at Villa for some reason, his win record with them was 45.1% - which has only been bettered by 3 SWFC managers in our entire history...

he may well have sold more than he bought but he was able to buy and he may not have that luxury here …...I certainly don't think he's useless without money to spend coz he as no experience of working for a club that cannot buy players so no one knows 

28 minutes ago, james o connor said:

This is my concern. His brief for me trying to get the best out of what we've got, which in areas, full backs for example, is bottom end championship level at best. 

If he spots the glaring gaps in the quality throughout the team, brings in a midfield beast and two full backs in January or, if money is not available, the summer and man-managers the senior pros properly, it's the best we can ask for.

Remember the new managers main job, other than ensuring championship safety, is the manage the major squad changes in the summer, which most of players' contracts expiring and therefore leaving the club. 

If we are around the play-offs this time next season, I would consider that to be a major achievement.

7 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Poor bloke can’t win.

Bruce for Jos, reyt improvement.

Might be what keeps us up, we were going down with Jos.

Financial difference in the grand scheme of things, probably not much.

A bloke in January with the ability to wheel and deal who knows better than Jos what’s needed, and will attract players using his contacts, players who will want to come here to play for Bruce.

Just get used to losing some names you’d wish to keep if we weren’t where we are. 

Let them get on with it.

how can he wheal and deal when he cant buy anyone ?......

44 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

“Bruce record with Villa was shambolic” 

Would people be making this statement Last summer?

In his first full season he got them to the playoff final.

Teams who lose in the playoff final usually have a dip at the start of the next - ask Carlos. Plus Bruce has had a bad year personally.  I think writing him off for the past 3 months, despite his previous 15+ years in management, is a little unfair 

Exactly - it would be terrible if he brought a 45.1% win ratio here. What a shambles that would be.

Edited by Sonny
  • Like 1

We’ll have had bids for some players parked, awaiting January sales. They’ll know they’re going, and that might’ve contributed to our recent form. Upheaval is ahead and the players know it.

We are at the beginning of a squad overhaul if Bruce comes in. Our finances should gradually improve. He’ll know the market.

Just enjoy the ride. Rollercoatering is the Wednesday way.

• Like 1

Bruce's main job, if he arrives, is to sort the basics out before anything else....something he is reasonably good at.

Effort should improve immediately, then once he has assessed the squad defensive resilience and the ability to compete should improve.  Once we get a foothold in games we can build.

During the expected changes in players in the January window, I expect he would try to get an athletic robust midfielder and some pace.

I suspect we will only be able to start to judge Bruce in the middle of next season but in the meantime us not shipping more than two goals per game, preventing collapses and reviving confidence should be seen as success in any final analysis of this seasons cluster fok....