Matthew Le Tissier

5 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Wednesday did this numerous times in the 90's every time in the summer nearing the end of the old style season ticket sales, and always via the back page of the Sheffield Star, some of the players we allegedly bid for where great, some had merit to them and some we're laughable, 

Brian Deane was one that had merit as he admitted he chose Leeds and less money rather than sign for us 

Alan Shearer when he went to Blackburn was a typical wednesday we were interested story from the back page of the star headline was  owls offer 2.2 million plus Danny Wilson who must have been 34-35 then. when every national newspaper was telling everyone Blackburn had offered over £3 million, now i liked Danny but we bought him for £250k when he was 31 :laugh:

Dani was a good one to we apparently offered £3million but the kid obviously had no ambition and joined Barcelona for £5million a week later 

Nigel Clough and Stan collymore when they went to Liverpool from Forest is another i seem to remember

loads more i bet that ive forgot about but others will remember 

Add Lombardo and Kennet Anderson to the list. 

Michael Mols. Henrik Larsson I remember them too.

With the exception of the Italians. We wouldn’t pay the rate for quality but we’d pay slightly less for average. The summer we signed Sibon and De Bilde for 5m, Robbie Keane left wolves for 6m to Coventry and kept them up. 

1 hour ago, bobness said:

Totally forgot about that episode. 

Best memory of De Bilde was an awful MOTD pun that we have "something de build on" after he scored a great effort against Liverpool I think it was. 

Lineker said it after a hat trick against Wimbledon. I’ll never forget it 

22 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Can't really remember the le tiss thing but certain I recall us laughingly showing "interest" in Ronaldinho. 

Think that was the Star, or am I just imaging it?

Pleat wanted Beckham for 2m when he was at Preston and Fergie laughed at him. But never heard the Ronaldinho one.

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

Can't really remember the le tiss thing but certain I recall us laughingly showing "interest" in Ronaldinho

Think that was the Star, or am I just imaging it?

Dont know about us but Blackburn definitely tried to get him it was close ....

It all came down to "are they any decent nightclubs in Blackburn" in the pre contract talks ........:tango:

True story though 

I don't remember the Ronaldinho interest at all

I do remember under Pleat, we considered buying Andriy Shevchenko for an agreed fee. We decided against it and bought Andy Booth instead

Regarding the list of strikers before we wasted 5 million on trash, I remember the star and other national media reporting us agreeing a fee with Barnsley for Ashley Ward and tabling a 6 million bid for Egil Ostenstad before he left Southampton. 

Edited by katie melua

I remember opening my Sunday paper with a full page black and White photo wihich at first glance looked like the Wednesday kit 

my heart skipped a beat only to realise Sanderson were now sponsoring Southampton as well gutted 

Edited by dinno
Spelling mistake

This thread is depressing, I remember most of these links apart from Ronaldinho. Throw in the Cantona fiasco too 

There’s a parallel universe somewhere where we signed these decent players in the early/mid nineties, carried on being one of the biggest clubs in the country, and got bought by one of the richest people in the world with Guardiola as boss and Ageuro replaced Hirst as the best striker we’ve had