Matthew Le Tissier

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Saw something online the other day that got me thinking,  sometime back in the early to mid 90s there was a rumour that we were in for him.

Can anyone remember this, if so did we come close to signing him.

Funilly enough I finished reading his autobiography last week. We're not mentioned in it. Chelsea came close, apparently, as did Spurs. Harding wanted him when he was chairman. He had a contract agreed with Spurs I think and it was setup to go through at the end of the season but pulled out because his wife wouldn't leave Southampton. Decent book - David Hirst gets a mention as being a decent guy when he joined Southampton from us.

Edited by johnwardell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, I remember this rumour. I even heard his car had been delivered. It was around that time he was supposed to be leaving Southampton ans Spurs seemed a likely destination. Anyhow shortly after we signed Chris Waddle and it all blew over. Don't think memory is playing tricks on me but had always wondered if it was just fiction so relieved to see someone else had the same memories.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

We could have been greatest side English football has ever seen if we signed all the good players we have been linked with.

Have to say I dont remember us being linked with Matt Le Tissier though.

Like that Lombardo fella (if i could spell his name right!!!!)

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

He'd have never have left the South coast would he.

No he wouldn't. I knew his brother Mark back then (he worked at an Insurance office in Guernsey that I dealt with a lot - I was in Jersey) and asked him directly about it. He said there was no chance he would ever leave Southampton due to the air link with Guernsey which meant he and his wife could get home easily (just 30 minutes flying time).

Incidentally Mark was a decent player too (played against him a couple of times in Insurance Institute inter-island matches) but to his eternal shame is a Leeds fan!

• Thanks 2

Wednesday did this numerous times in the 90's every time in the summer nearing the end of the old style season ticket sales, and always via the back page of the Sheffield Star, some of the players we allegedly bid for where great, some had merit to them and some we're laughable, 

Brian Deane was one that had merit as he admitted he chose Leeds and less money rather than sign for us 

Alan Shearer when he went to Blackburn was a typical wednesday we were interested story from the back page of the star headline was  owls offer 2.2 million plus Danny Wilson who must have been 34-35 then. when every national newspaper was telling everyone Blackburn had offered over £3 million, now i liked Danny but we bought him for £250k when he was 31 :laugh:

Dani was a good one to we apparently offered £3million but the kid obviously had no ambition and joined Barcelona for £5million a week later 

Nigel Clough and Stan collymore when they went to Liverpool from Forest is another i seem to remember

loads more i bet that ive forgot about but others will remember 

4 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Wednesday did this numerous times in the 90's every time in the summer nearing the end of the old style season ticket sales, and always via the back page of the Sheffield Star, some of the players we allegedly bid for where great, some had merit to them and some we're laughable, 

Brian Deane was one that had merit as he admitted he chose Leeds and less money rather than sign for us 

Alan Shearer when he went to Blackburn was a typical wednesday we were interested story from the back page of the star headline was  owls offer 2.2 million plus Danny Wilson who must have been 34-35 then. when every national newspaper was telling everyone Blackburn had offered over £3 million, now i liked Danny but we bought him for £250k when he was 31 :laugh:

Dani was a good one to we apparently offered £3million but the kid obviously had no ambition and joined Barcelona for £5million a week later 

Nigel Clough and Stan collymore when they went to Liverpool from Forest is another i seem to remember

Dani and Michael Mols both had contracts agreed at Hillsborough when the club changed their mind about allowing Wilson £10m to spend on 2 forwards.....£5m each became £5m for them both and we got Sibon and De Bilde instead 

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Dani and Michael Mols both had contracts agreed at Hillsborough when the club changed their mind about allowing Wilson £10m to spend on 2 forwards.....£5m each became £5m for them both and we got Sibon and De Bilde instead 

Totally forgot about that episode. 

Best memory of De Bilde was an awful MOTD pun that we have "something de build on" after he scored a great effort against Liverpool I think it was. 

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Can't really remember the le tiss thing but certain I recall us laughingly showing "interest" in Ronaldinho. 

Think that was the Star, or am I just imaging it?