Press conference live now

32 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So we now know the reason Westwood and Hutch are not playing is because they are not ready for first team football. The question i would have followed that up with is what is Jos and his coaching team doing to get them ready for first team football. The answer to this question would have told you all you needed - I am have to ask the chairman.

What team in January is going to come in for a player that is fit and has not played for 6 months. So we will be paying the wages of Westwood, Hutchinson, Abdi, Jones, Boyd until at least the summer another few million spunked down the drain by the chairman and manager.

If we don't get positive results tomorrow and against the blunts Friday the call for Jos head are going to get loader. You can get beaten by a better team but give it a go, at the moment we are not making it difficult to beat us most games we are making it very easy not doing the basic sufficiently well enough. 

How did you know the answer to the question that wasn't asked ?

Do you know the lottery numbers for tomorrow night ? :stuwinky:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Well if that’s the case then no manager in history has ever lied to the media 

Blind leading the blind. Westwood and Hutch just magically dropped 

Imagine united dropping de gea with no explanation. And no I’m not comparing the two, but in terms of the roles they play for their squad it’s similar 

Imagine if De Gea had been injured most of the season, gone missing from training at Christmas, let two soft ones in against City, missed a Thursday training session with a strain before a game then called you out for being a liar when you pointed out he'd not been fit enough to train in the week. 

That sort similar?

Maybe he's a manager who's here for the long haul and trying to put in place long term solutions to a series of disastrous shortermist moves we've played over the last couple of seasons.

Ok. I get what many are saying. And I'll be honest. If I was manager, I'd be tempted to use Westwood and Hutchinson down the spine while they're here and available.

But... if he thinks that if they're off in the summer anyway and it's more beneficial long term to get the young players more league experience...

Well...he might be right. Penney, Dawson, Thorniley will learn more from playing 30 odd Championship games than they will sat in the stiffs for another 8 months.

And if they are going to form the back bone of next seasons team anyway...why waste the time and opportunity of doing so.

The big question is how much will it affect League position?

If he thinks we'll finish mid table with the kids and mid table with some of the older crocks - what difference does it make.

Are those committed players seriously capable of making a mid-table team a top 6 team?

There wasn't much evidence last year. 

If he's building a team for the long term he might think it's wasting time putting in players who are off in the summer anyway for the difference between finishing 17th and 13th...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

It’s a good point Snoots.

Can I ask you though. Do you believe everything Jos is saying? Or do you think there are deeper issues with regards to these players and other things around the club?

I believe him when he says he's building a team for the future based on young fit players who are going to actually be at the club after 30th July 2019.

Is there deeper issues? 

I think the only issue, and understandably is that some players have probably got the hump on at not playing. 

And if I'm honest...Id have the hump on because I'd be desperate to play too. I would. Especially if i was used to being picked when I declared myself 75% and was one of the big names in the club. 

I'd not be happy.  

It'll be water of a ducks back to Jos. I don't think he cares one jot about being popular or a players mate. 

It might be a bit of a hardcore way of doing it. But I genuinely think he's trying to put the club and the long term good of the first team. It'll be a choppy ride.

But actually. Good! It's time someone did.

His obstacle will be results and a fanbase who are paying over the odds for their football. 

They won't give him the time to pull this long term plan off if he doesn't get results. We all know that. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Imagine if De Gea had been injured most of the season, gone missing from training at Christmas, let two soft ones in against City, missed a Thursday training session with a strain before a game then called you out for being a liar when you pointed out he'd not been fit enough to train in the week. 

That sort similar?

Maybe he's a manager who's here for the long haul and trying to put in place long term solutions to a series of disastrous shortermist moves we've played over the last couple of seasons.

Ok. I get what many are saying. And I'll be honest. If I was manager, I'd be tempted to use Westwood and Hutchinson down the spine while they're here and available.

But... if he thinks that if they're off in the summer anyway and it's more beneficial long term to get the young players more league experience...

Well...he might be right. Penney, Dawson, Thorniley will learn more from playing 30 odd Championship games than they will sat in the stiffs for another 8 months.

And if they are going to form the back bone of next seasons team anyway...why waste the time and opportunity of doing so.

If he thinks we'll finish mid table with the kids and mid table with some of the older crocks - what difference does it make.

Are those committed players seriously capable of making a mid-table team a top 6 team?

If he's building a team for the long term he might think it's wasting time putting in players who are off in the summer anyway for the difference between finishing 17th and 13th...

Eh ???..........so he KNOWS for sure that we will not finish lower than 17th ?.

hmmmm, the more i watch these press conferences the more worried i become about our club. I cannot accept that the likes of Westwood, Hutchinson and even Jones and Boyd are not good enough to be even on the bench when we have a massively lightweight squad with kids all over the place, many of whom are not ready for this level of football. Just trying to make sense of all this but i'm struggling bit time.

Also in the QPR and Birmingham games Jos is pointing to the fact we have near 70% possession. I'm not having that at all anymore. Most of the possession is at the back and the play is slow and methodical and at time's depressing. The game has moved on it's about quick transitions from back to front, pace, counter attacking etc. Look at the premier league, Man utd play slow and play possession, look how terrible they look these days when you compare them to the like of Man City and Liverpool who play quick and brave attacking football. Even Derby were doing it the other night against Chelsea. I then watch Wednesday and it is slow and predictable mostly and we look devoid of idea's in the final third....

21 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Not what i said is it, I said that maybe the impending situation was explained to him before he signed and he knew as of the beginning of the season that if westwood wasn't sold it would become a potential problem the following season, and  maybe he agreed to take the job on those terms 

All this would demonstrate is that Jos agreed to be a yes man when he took the job. We are not just talking about Westwood either but 5 first team players who are being excluded. You have to question what self respecting manager would take a job where the chairman said a significant portion of the squad was unavailable for selection. And not only that but you will be required to lie to both the media and fans about the reasons. 

6 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Eh ???..........so he KNOWS for sure that we will not finish lower than 17th ?.

lol I was just grabbing some midtables numbers there!

Point being though. Does anyone (other than the chairman:ph34r:) genuinely think we'd be that much higher up the league with some of these lads in?

It'd only be a couple of places at best wouldn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

lol I was just grabbing some midtables numbers there!

Point being though. Does anyone (other than the chairman:ph34r:) genuinely think we'd be that much higher up the league with some of these lads in?

It'd only be a couple of places at best wouldn't it?

I dont know snoots and neither do you.............its only a few week ago that we climbed to sixth with half a dozen first teamers frozen out.......just imagine what we might achieve with SERIOUS competition for places instead of the current squad knowing that their place is secure regardless of how they perform.

32 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Not what i said is it, I said that maybe the impending situation was explained to him before he signed and he knew as of the beginning of the season that if westwood wasn't sold it would become a potential problem the following season, and  maybe he agreed to take the job on those terms 

If Jos agreed to be the yes man puppet for DC, then he was never the right appointment in the first place 

Successful managers are not yes men 

24 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

That sort similar?

As always good, well thought out points. For me I have no issue with young, promising players being played with a view to the long term. 

But what I cannot fathom is the logic of having a bench full of youngsters who in some cases have literally never played a first team team in their lives. Asking them to come on and close out a close fought game simply makes no sense. That would be the perfect time to utilise the experience of Hutchinson and Boyd without standing in the way of young players development. And I'm really not sure that chucking entirely inexperienced youngster into such a high pressure situation can really be good for their development.