Press conference live now

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

As always good, well thought out points. For me I have no issue with young, promising players being played with a view to the long term. 

But what I cannot fathom is the logic of having a bench full of youngsters who in some cases have literally never played a first team team in their lives. Asking them to come on and close out a close fought game simply makes no sense. That would be the perfect time to utilise the experience of Hutchinson and Boyd without standing in the way of young players development. And I'm really not sure that chucking entirely inexperienced youngster into such a high pressure situation can really be good for their development.

Example being West Brom.  If he'd have had Jones on the bench instead of Kirby we would not have drawn that game.

Edited by DuttyTeabags
drawn

3 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

But what I cannot fathom is the logic of having a bench full of youngsters who in some cases have literally never played a first team team in their lives. Asking them to come on and close out a close fought game simply makes no sense. That would be the perfect time to utilise the experience of Hutchinson and Boyd without standing in the way of young players development. And I'm really not sure that chucking entirely inexperienced youngster into such a high pressure situation can really be good for their development.

I agree with that. As I've said, if it was me. I'd be tempted to use Westwood/Hutch etc. 

Bit of a sticking plaster while the scab of our rebuild grows. 

But he's clearly got more balls than me. 

2 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Example being West Brom.  If he'd have had Jones on the bench instead of Kirby we would not have drawn that game.

No we'd have have lost it, after he'd have given away a free kick after getting the wrong side of his man on a counter attack and hauling him back on the edge of the box, completely done for pace.

I like this supposition game, it's good isn't it. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

If Jos agreed to be the yes man puppet for DC, then he was never the right appointment in the first place 

Successful managers are not yes men 

what if that was the main criteria and every manager like the one who was offered the job before him said no im not working under those conditions, (new ipswich manager) we would end up without a manager full stop 

Or Like 95% of the managers in the leagues he took the job under certain conditions, ours being get rid of the high wage earners, dont let any future contract clauses kick in, you are going to have to concentrate on the academy and none of these can be made public. someone will always take the job on 

By the way for the record im not a Jos fan but feel the need to defend certain accusations that aren't fair  

16 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

All this would demonstrate is that Jos agreed to be a yes man when he took the job. We are not just talking about Westwood either but 5 first team players who are being excluded. You have to question what self respecting manager would take a job where the chairman said a significant portion of the squad was unavailable for selection. And not only that but you will be required to lie to both the media and fans about the reasons. 

You do know he was asked directly about this in today's press conference and denied it categorically ...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I believe him when he says he's building a team for the future based on young fit players who are going to actually be at the club after 30th July 2019.

Is there deeper issues? 

I think the only issue, and understandably is that some players have probably got the hump on at not playing. 

And if I'm honest...Id have the hump on because I'd be desperate to play too. I would. Especially if i was used to being picked when I declared myself 75% and was one of the big names in the club. 

I'd not be happy.  

It'll be water of a ducks back to Jos. I don't think he cares one jot about being popular or a players mate. 

It might be a bit of a hardcore way of doing it. But I genuinely think he's trying to put the club and the long term good of the first team. It'll be a choppy ride.

But actually. Good! It's time someone did.

His obstacle will be results and a fanbase who are paying over the odds for their football. 

They won't give him the time to pull this long term plan off if he doesn't get results. We all know that. 

I agree with a lot of what you’ve written. Well said.

I do feel served answering my question head on though. Can’t blame you lol 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I dont know snoots and neither do you.............its only a few week ago that we climbed to sixth with half a dozen first teamers frozen out.......just imagine what we might achieve with SERIOUS competition for places instead of the current squad knowing that their place is secure regardless of how they perform.

We don't. It's all supposition isn't it.

Though it wont' stop the Chairman thinking we should be top 6. Some fans thinking we'd have been automatic with Westwood and Hutch in the side. And some thinking we're going to lose 10-0 to the pigs and get relegated because Jos doesn't shout enough!

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Imagine if De Gea had been injured most of the season, gone missing from training at Christmas, let two soft ones in against City, missed a Thursday training session with a strain before a game then called you out for being a liar when you pointed out he'd not been fit enough to train in the week. 

That sort similar?

Maybe he's a manager who's here for the long haul and trying to put in place long term solutions to a series of disastrous shortermist moves we've played over the last couple of seasons.

Ok. I get what many are saying. And I'll be honest. If I was manager, I'd be tempted to use Westwood and Hutchinson down the spine while they're here and available.

But... if he thinks that if they're off in the summer anyway and it's more beneficial long term to get the young players more league experience...

Well...he might be right. Penney, Dawson, Thorniley will learn more from playing 30 odd Championship games than they will sat in the stiffs for another 8 months.

And if they are going to form the back bone of next seasons team anyway...why waste the time and opportunity of doing so.

The big question is how much will it affect League position?

If he thinks we'll finish mid table with the kids and mid table with some of the older crocks - what difference does it make.

Are those committed players seriously capable of making a mid-table team a top 6 team?

There wasn't much evidence last year. 

If he's building a team for the long term he might think it's wasting time putting in players who are off in the summer anyway for the difference between finishing 17th and 13th...

57 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I believe him when he says he's building a team for the future based on young fit players who are going to actually be at the club after 30th July 2019.

Is there deeper issues? 

I think the only issue, and understandably is that some players have probably got the hump on at not playing. 

And if I'm honest...Id have the hump on because I'd be desperate to play too. I would. Especially if i was used to being picked when I declared myself 75% and was one of the big names in the club. 

I'd not be happy.  

It'll be water of a ducks back to Jos. I don't think he cares one jot about being popular or a players mate. 

It might be a bit of a hardcore way of doing it. But I genuinely think he's trying to put the club and the long term good of the first team. It'll be a choppy ride.

But actually. Good! It's time someone did.

His obstacle will be results and a fanbase who are paying over the odds for their football. 

They won't give him the time to pull this long term plan off if he doesn't get results. We all know that. 

Game over, close the thread 

59 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

If he's building a team for the long term he might think it's wasting time putting in players who are off in the summer anyway for the difference between finishing 17th and 13th...

Sadly there might not be much leeway between 17th and 21st.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Sadly there might not be much leeway between 17th and 21st.

The rot needs to stop in terms of results that's for sure.

He's made his bed he'll have to lie in it. 

The one thing I am certain of is that despite his quiet demeanor he doesn't seem the type to buckle to pressure. 

So Kieran Westwood and Sam Hutchinson aren't playing because they haven't proved their fitness over a long period .. yet Marco Mathias comes straight back in when he's been fit and able to play.

Two huge first team assets to the club fit and sitting on their arses not even making the squad, what a load of tosh Jos stop playing us for fools as you are the bigger one.

Complete contradiction. Just doesn't add up.

1 minute ago, owl4528 said:

So Kieran Westwood and Sam Hutchinson aren't playing because they haven't proved their fitness over a long period .. yet Marco Mathias comes straight back in when he's been fit and able to play.

Two huge first team assets to the club fit and sitting on their arses not even making the squad, what a load of tosh Jos stop playing us for fools as you are the bigger one.

Complete contradiction. Just doesn't add up.

And Fletcher is playing but can't last 90 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

You do know he was asked directly about this in today's press conference and denied it categorically ...

Yes sure - I was responding to parkowls claims that Jos wasn't able to pick players rather than making the claim myself.

I agree with you - I think  he's making the decisions himself.

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yes sure - I was responding to parkowls claims that Jos wasn't able to pick players rather than making the claim myself.

I agree with you - I think  he's making the decisions himself.

He's making some big ones.  Don't think the timid front gives the full story with old Jos.

Balls of steel.