Best Team And Formation

Statement of the obvious I suppose but we need to be prepared to play further up the pitch no matter what system we play.

However if we continue to sit deep and pass it around just outside our own box then we might as well play 3 centre halfs. As we saw last night doing that with a back four just leaves too many gaps . 

At the moment it gives the impression that only Bannan has permission from Jos to pass it forward . This leads to our main problem, ie everybody has to pass it to Bannan and he goes deeper and deeper to get it and everything slows down.

My personal preference would be 433 , playing high tempo and 20 yards further up the pitch.

If we don’t do all those things we might as well stick with three centre halfs 

29 minutes ago, malek said:

I know that this post will get me lot of negative points, but anyway...

For all his class and quality Bannan is slowing our play to walking pace. Drops to deep, and takes so many touches and time on the ball to get us over half way line. And doing all this he spends most of time far away from where he can hurt opposition with his vision and passing skill.

I would play him further up the pitch, to get between opposition's midfield and back line, creating havoc, and goal scoring chances.

Playing 4 at the backs with no ball playing centre backs means Bannan will always drop deep to pick up the ball. He has done it his whole time here.

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Like Jos  - I genuinely don't know.

I like 4-3-3.  But I'm not sure we have anyone genuinely capable of playing the lone role.  With the possible exception of the injured Winnall who's played it for Barnsley.

I like an old school 4-4-2. Get it wide and get it in the mixer. But I'm not sure we have any two players capable as a midfield pairing and not getting totally overun. 

I like the 3-5-2 in someways. the extra man in the middle. Space for an attacking midfielder. But I'm not sure we have the wing backs.

I like the old 4-2-3-1 to. Can still get it wide in that system. But who's the lone striker? Does Baz play too deep in that?

I like the 3-4-3 when we win. Suit Reach on the right of the three IMO. But the man in the middle doing too much? Are the central midfield pair strong enough? Not sure. 

But which ever way the dice are rolled there always seems to be a square peg somewhere.

And that's down to our recruitment 'policy' over the past 3 years. Sadly. 

One thing we shouldn't be doing though, is constantly switching from 3 at the back, to 4, then 5. There's no stability. No wonder Lees has been poor, he won't have a clue who's where. 

I think this is JL's main error. He has never stuck to a preferred formation. I can't think of many managers that switch formation so often like JL. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Me either. 

That said, maybe they do? I don't see any other clubs play week in and week out.

As an experienced manager I can't believe he hasn't pushed 'his' "preferred formation on us and stuck to it. He could have brought in loanees for any weak areas.

7 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

As an experienced manager I can't believe he hasn't pushed 'his' "preferred formation on us and stuck to it. He could have brought in loanees for any weak areas.

Not sure what his preferred formation is!

I think he's tried to address 3 areas where we've been short of quality for a long time by getting Hector in at centre half, and promoting Penney to first team full back.  

Hopefully Onomah can start to show some of the box to box ability we were told he possesses.

Funny old game football.

Carlos rigid and too inflexible for many, Jos too flexible!

2 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Quite hard to chose our best 11 at the moment. What ever formation you play there seems to be a week point. 

All our full backs are better playing full back and not wing back. We need to get a regular centre half pairing and I think Lees and Hector are ideal. 

Can Hitchinson get fit again who knows but we certainly do miss him in there. 

396E3BE8-F517-45FD-8E2E-272D55A55CFC.jpeg

Me and my son were discussing this earlier and went for the same line up except for Pudil in place of Penney.

We don't have a solid back 3 or decent wing backs so would go for the experienced 4, play them together regularly and hope that they gel into a cohesive unit.

For me, Pelupessy has such a limited game and offers us nothing going forwards. If Hutch is fit he should be playing in that role with Bannan and Onomah each side and Reach and FF offering width/ support to Fletcher.

Who knows.... it's all such a mess at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

One thing we shouldn't be doing though, is constantly switching from 3 at the back, to 4, then 5. There's no stability. No wonder Lees has been poor, he won't have a clue who's where. 

I think this is JL's main error. He has never stuck to a preferred formation. I can't think of many managers that switch formation so often like JL. 

Agree...... feel sorry for Lees, so many relatively inexperience players around him and being asked to play the type of game he's simply not very good at. (Leeds fans were full of criticism of his distribution when he came to us...)

2 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

396E3BE8-F517-45FD-8E2E-272D55A55CFC.jpeg

I do like this. Just worry about the  isolation of the front man.

That said, I genuinly think Fletcher has looked as mobile this season as he has since he arrived here.  Just wish he could add goals to some of his decent performances. 

Winnall had played that role for Barnsley and Scunny.  Be interesting to see what he might bring. 

Think the biggest shame is that Joao never really kicked on as we'd have hoped because he's certainly lively enough when he's on it. Just think he sometimes enter the park not really thinking about the game.

I think the best thing to do at the moment is revert back to basics, a flat 4411 and stick with it 

Dawson

baker     Lees.    Hector.     Pudil

Onomah.  Bannan.  Joey.    Reach

FF

Fletcher

JL needs to find his preferred fomation and starting 11 asap and stick to it. Look at Liverpool, City, Chelsea (the top 3 in the EPL). They have a system, they have a best 11, and they mainly stick to it whenever possible. They may chop and change in Europe, or pre or post Europe, but for sure they know their starting 11. The benefits of everyone being comfortable and knowing their role is immeasurable.

Personally, I think our biggest weakness is fullbacks/wingbacks. When we play 3 or 5 at the back they just dont contribute enough going forward (think Alonso, Walker). So we must either get the wing backs involved and attacking more, or just go 4 at the back, and keep it compact and solid. The midfield 2 of Joey and BB sit way too deep. I like Onomah and I think given a nice run in the team could be a revelation. He is as close to box to box as we have. There seems no link between the midfield 2/3 and the forwards (maybe lack of options out wide due to deep full/wing backs?). Therefore I like 433/4321 with the likes of Reach, FF, Matias providing those links and width, whilst pressing from the front. That leaves 1 striker role which I would have to give to Fletcher ever single time. Playing Nuhiu is a joke/crime. Westwood obviously isnt going to play, so its time for Wildsmith to come in for a spell.

So,

4-3-2-1

Wildsmith

Baker - Lees - Hector - Penney

Onomah - Hutch - Bannan   (add Lee in the mix if fit)

Matias - Reach - Fessi   (perm any 2 of 3, but these are the players who need to be doing the most work, pressing at the front, and pinning oppo full/wing backs back, so I would expect them to be subbed regularly)

Fletcher   (maybe Winnall or Hooper when fit)

Bench

Dawson, Pudil, Joey, Joao, + 3 of whoever is not starting from my options listed above

Glue Farm

Donkey Dave

Palmer

Fox

Edited by steelerian

For me:

Wildsmith

Palmer Lees Pudil Penney

Hector

Onomah        Bannan

Reach    Fletcher    Forestieri

Just because four at the back didn't work Tuesday, doesn't mean it won't work again. Lees is more comfortable in a four. Palmer is better as a RB not a wing back. Hector can protect the back four and drop back if needs be. Onomah and Bannan in the middle. Reach scoring worldies cutting in on his left. Fletcher leading the line. And FF on the left (probably has to be Joao until he's fit). 

Mathias and FF are big misses,were a 3-4-3 team everyday with Hutch in CM along side Bannan & Reach,just a shame Lee is out and Clare wants to dress as a girl,alas weve a defence minded gaffer,so more a 3-4-2-1,we miss Sam big time in the middle,yes hes a hothead,but hes a man who wants to win at all costs like Loovens did,he gambles

Don't know about players, but you're always going to pick the best available and the most experienced for every match. 442 every time for me. When you start jigging around with formations, it generally means it will leave you short in other areas. There is a reason why 442 has stood the test of time.

16 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Like Jos  - I genuinely don't know.

I like 4-3-3.  But I'm not sure we have anyone genuinely capable of playing the lone role.  With the possible exception of the injured Winnall who's played it for Barnsley.

I like an old school 4-4-2. Get it wide and get it in the mixer. But I'm not sure we have any two players capable as a midfield pairing and not getting totally overun. 

I like the 3-5-2 in someways. the extra man in the middle. Space for an attacking midfielder. But I'm not sure we have the wing backs.

I like the old 4-2-3-1 to. Can still get it wide in that system. But who's the lone striker? Does Baz play too deep in that?

I like the 3-4-3 when we win. Suit Reach on the right of the three IMO. But the man in the middle doing too much? Are the central midfield pair strong enough? Not sure. 

But which ever way the dice are rolled there always seems to be a square peg somewhere.

And that's down to our recruitment 'policy' over the past 3 years. Sadly. 

Seems to me that whenever we deviate from 3-5-2 we are far too open and in danger of shipping goals.

I understand your point about wing backs and we must work hard with Penny and Baker in particular. They are the future.

Priorityat the moment though must be to stop conceding the number of goals that effectively put us out of games.

On Tuesday without the Forestieri/Matias’ pace we looked done as soon as QPR scored their first.

so many different combinations & formations and we all think ours is the best one which sort of proves jos has a lot options with who & how he sets up depending on who the opposites are ……..it's easy to pick what we think is our best 11 but it as to perform against 23 other sides who all have differing strengths, weaknesses and ways of playing .jos chops and changes I think overall he gets it  right more times than wrong...…... .