Best Team And Formation

Realistically speaking what's our best formation going forward?

Who do we need in that team to help this formation work? 

Who are the players we can't leave out as they are needed to win games?

This is mine.    3-4-3 

Dawson 

Lees   Hector   Pudil 

Palmer  Pelupessy Bannan Penney

Matias   Forestieri   Reach.

Now no players like Westwood, Hutchinson, Hooper or lee in there as they are either long term injured or forgotten about so no point putting them in otherwise I probably would have done.

We need to have three at the back with Hector dropping in and out as the defence and midfield are no good without the extra cover.

Matias and Reach showed at Aston Villa why they should play wide and in this formation. Link the defence to the attack well and also track back.

And the player you must fit in. Forestieri.

Do we need a focal point striker of either Joao, Nuhiu or Fletcher? Do they do enough to make it work. 

Or would Forestieri buzzing around up there in a free role without worrying about tracking back suit him and us better.

Like Jos  - I genuinely don't know.

I like 4-3-3.  But I'm not sure we have anyone genuinely capable of playing the lone role.  With the possible exception of the injured Winnall who's played it for Barnsley.

I like an old school 4-4-2. Get it wide and get it in the mixer. But I'm not sure we have any two players capable as a midfield pairing and not getting totally overun. 

I like the 3-5-2 in someways. the extra man in the middle. Space for an attacking midfielder. But I'm not sure we have the wing backs.

I like the old 4-2-3-1 to. Can still get it wide in that system. But who's the lone striker? Does Baz play too deep in that?

I like the 3-4-3 when we win. Suit Reach on the right of the three IMO. But the man in the middle doing too much? Are the central midfield pair strong enough? Not sure. 

But which ever way the dice are rolled there always seems to be a square peg somewhere.

And that's down to our recruitment 'policy' over the past 3 years. Sadly. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I like 4-3-3.  But I'm not sure we have anyone genuinely capable of playing the lone role.  With the possible exception of the injured Winnall who's played it for Barnsley.

I like an old school 4-4-2. Get it wide and get it in the mixer. But I'm not sure we have any two players capable as a midfield pairing and not getting totally overun. 

I like the 3-5-2 in someways. the extra man in the middle. Space for an attacking midfielder. But I'm not sure we have the wing backs.

I like the old 4-2-3-1 to. Can still get it wide in that system. But who's the lone striker? Does Baz play too deep in that?

I like the 3-4-3 when we win. Suit Reach on the right of the three IMO. But the man in the middle doing too much? Are the central midfield pair strong enough? Not sure. 

But which ever way the dice are rolled there always seems to be a square peg somewhere.

We have no lone striker so why play one. Let Forestieri play the Firmino role at Liverpool. get him to press from the front. not much better at that then him.

Back 3 of Pudil Hector and Lees is when I have seen the defence at its best.

With the right support of Matias and Reach in the wide areas Bannan and Pelupessy will work as a two in the middle.

Also believe the 3-4-3 formation gives us a better platform to attack off of aswell.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We have no lone striker so why play one. Let Forestieri play the Firmino role at Liverpool. get him to press from the front. not much better at that then him.

Back 3 of Pudil Hector and Lees is when I have seen the defence at its best.

With the right support of Matias and Reach in the wide areas Bannan and Pelupessy will work as a two in the middle.

Also believe the 3-4-3 formation gives us a better platform to attack off of aswell.

Would Fernando for all his undoubted qualities not get isolated playing the lone role? I'm certainly not confident that we'd see the best from him with his back to goal trying to hold it up for any lengthy spells?

I like Lees. Still think he'd our best header of a ball defensively. It was great to see him back at the end of last seasons campaign, and having him back showed how much we'd missed him.

But that was in the centre with Vennancio to the right of him.  I think he's been too easily isolated in the RCB role at times. 

Love Bannan. Like Pelupessy. But are they any less lightweight than Lee and Bannan were or Bannan and Hutch were when Carlos insisted on 2 in the middle.

Our inactivity in trying to get hold of a genuine box to box midfield player in the past 3 seasons has been one of the most criminal acts (or non acts!) in my book.

47 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Would Fernando for all his undoubted qualities not get isolated playing the lone role? I'm certainly not confident that we'd see the best from him with his back to goal trying to hold it up for any lengthy spells?

I like Lees. Still think he'd our best header of a ball defensively. It was great to see him back at the end of last seasons campaign, and having him back showed how much we'd missed him.

But that was in the centre with Vennancio to the right of him.  I think he's been too easily isolated in the RCB role at times. 

Love Bannan. Like Pelupessy. But are they any less lightweight than Lee and Bannan were or Bannan and Hutch were when Carlos insisted on 2 in the middle.

Our inactivity in trying to get hold of a genuine box to box midfield player in the past 3 seasons has been one of the most criminal acts (or non acts!) in my book.

When we play a lone striker we never get enough bodies around him when he holds it up anyway so why go with a traditional one. We went Stobbs, Boyd and Wallace as a front 3 at Millwall last season thinking we could make it work. so Jos ain't against trying different things I don't think. Forestieri's problem is tracking runners which is why Jos drops him. A Fabregas Spain False 9 role is a role I think he could do well in. 

Edited by pazowl55

15 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

When we play a lone striker we never get enough bodies around him when he holds it up anyway so why go with a traditional one. We went Stobbs, Boyd and Wallace as a front 3 at Millwall last season thinking we could make it work. so Jos ain't against trying different things I don't think. Forestieri's problem is tracking runners which is why Jos drops him. A Fabregas Spain False 9 role is a role I think he could do well in. 

Why indeed. It's a disappointment that Lucas hasn't really kicked on, becasue he flanked by Fernando and Reach potentially could be good. But the boys so hit and miss.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Why indeed. It's a disappointment that Lucas hasn't really kicked on, becasue he flanked by Fernando and Reach potentially could be good. But the boys so hit and miss.

Thing is with Joao I think he scores a good goal then thinks he is better then he is. Does nothing simple either it's all flicks and tricks. Also Needs to double his application without the ball. Take a leaf out of Matias's book. Very important player we are missing in him. Never thought I would ever say that.

Quite hard to chose our best 11 at the moment. What ever formation you play there seems to be a week point. 

All our full backs are better playing full back and not wing back. We need to get a regular centre half pairing and I think Lees and Hector are ideal. 

Can Hitchinson get fit again who knows but we certainly do miss him in there. 

396E3BE8-F517-45FD-8E2E-272D55A55CFC.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

You've pretty much nailed it straight away. We dont seem to have the players to play any formation comfortably. Personally, with Hector and Onomah now in the squad I'd be tempted with 3-5-2. It probably allows Bannan the most freedom, but like you said, if Jos has no idea then how the frig should we know.

The thing is Paz if KW & SH are fit then they have to play.

Its ok saying not to pick them as theyre frozen out but JL needs to come clean as to why theyre really not playing because if he thinks that CD is better then we really do have prombles.

For me id go with 4-5-1 to try and sort the conceded issue out, build confidence amongst the players.

WESTY

PALMER    LEES     HUTCH  PENNY

ONOMAH        HECTOR

BANNAN

REACH                   FORESTIERI

FLETCHER

2 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Dawson/Wildsmith/Westwood ????????

Lees Hector Thorniley

Hutchinson

Onomah Bannan Reach 

Winnall Fletcher FF

like it but Westwood in goal deffo,Hutch deffo, how much better is this than the shybo at QPR in fact wee wee off jos and let Mcartthy run it would be super

21 minutes ago, savi said:

The thing is Paz if KW & SH are fit then they have to play.

Its ok saying not to pick them as theyre frozen out but JL needs to come clean as to why theyre really not playing because if he thinks that CD is better then we really do have prombles.

For me id go with 4-5-1 to try and sort the conceded issue out, build confidence amongst the players.

WESTY

PALMER    LEES     HUTCH  PENNY

ONOMAH        HECTOR

BANNAN

REACH                   FORESTIERI

FLETCHER

Matias is an important player for us now. would have him in over Fletcher.

I know that this post will get me lot of negative points, but anyway...

For all his class and quality Bannan is slowing our play to walking pace. Drops to deep, and takes so many touches and time on the ball to get us over half way line. And doing all this he spends most of time far away from where he can hurt opposition with his vision and passing skill.

I would play him further up the pitch, to get between opposition's midfield and back line, creating havoc, and goal scoring chances.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

You've pretty much nailed it straight away. We dont seem to have the players to play any formation comfortably. Personally, with Hector and Onomah now in the squad I'd be tempted with 3-5-2. It probably allows Bannan the most freedom, but like you said, if Jos has no idea then how the frig should we know.

We have had this issue for about 4 seasons. Buying random players with no thought whatsoever how they fit in a system. Hence a million strikers, wingers we never played and other players as square pegs in round holes

• Like 1