Best Team And Formation

Dawson

Palmer             Lees            Hector           Penney

Pelupessy        Bannan                  

Matias            Onomah            Reach

Fletcher

• Like 1

1. I'd pick Westwood in goal. We've lost our captain/organiser in Loovens, plus Wallace, Venancio and Hutch who were all quite vocal and are gone/out.  Hard to tell from back of kop but my feeling is we've now got a much quieter team and I think a more experienced/vocal goalkeeper would help the defence as a unit. 

2. Has to be 4 at the back for me. Our full backs are variously, better as full backs than wing backs, young or just plain mediocre. The way we play wing backs its 5 at the back, not 3, meaning we carry no threat out wide, no outlet, and just end up inviting pressure onto our defence. 

3. We need 3 in the middle of the park, otherwise we get overwhelmed. 

4. Our best player imo, Forestieri, is best suited to a wide forward role afaic in order to get him on the ball running at defences and give him the freedom to cause some damage. 

So, putting all that together our best XI imo would be:

Westwood

Baker - Lees - Hector - Penney 

Onomah - Hutch - Bannan 

Reach - Fletcher - Forestieri 

(Lee probably in for Baker/Onomah if fit) 

Edited by davethemagicweasel

5 minutes ago, davethemagicweasel said:

1. I'd pick Westwood in goal. We've lost our captain/organiser in Loovens, plus Wallace, Venancio and Hutch who were all quite vocal and are gone/out.  Hard to tell from back of kop but my feeling is we've now got a much quieter team and I think a more experienced/vocal goalkeeper would help the defence as a unit. 

2. Has to be 4 at the back for me. Our full backs are variously, better as full backs than wing backs, young or just plain mediocre. The way we play wing backs its 5 at the back, not 3, meaning we carry no threat out wide, no outlet, and just end up inviting pressure onto our defence. 

3. We need 3 in the middle of the park, otherwise we get overwhelmed. 

4. Our best player imo, Forestieri, is best suited to a wide forward role afaic in order to get him on the ball running at defences and give him the freedom to cause some damage. 

So, putting all that together our best XI imo would be:

Westwood

Baker - Lees - Hector - Penney 

Onomah - Hutch - Bannan 

Reach - Fletcher - Forestieri 

(Lee probably in for Baker/Onomah if fit) 

Point 1. Wont happen. Ship has sailed.

Point 2. Agree, we seem better to a back 4 at the moment. Play penney at LB. Not inside forward. Ruin him.

Point 3. Maybe but sometimes we need some width. 

Point 4. I woulf still play FF on the LHS in. A 442 i had option. He was more productive there. Hooper and fletcher up front if it ever happens.

3 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Just shorten your very valid point to "We need someone better than Joey"

In terms of dropping deep and playing box to box I think Hutch and even Jones would do a better job, however Jos goes with Joey due to his professionalism and mileage, as well as his age 

Edited by FreshOwl

2 hours ago, billyblack said:

Point 1. Wont happen. Ship has sailed.

Point 2. Agree, we seem better to a back 4 at the moment. Play penney at LB. Not inside forward. Ruin him.

Point 3. Maybe but sometimes we need some width. 

Point 4. I woulf still play FF on the LHS in. A 442 i had option. He was more productive there. Hooper and fletcher up front if it ever happens.

1. Probably not, and I've got nothing against Dawson/Wildsmith, but I do think the loss of a number of experienced players is part of our defensive issues, and it's annoying that some of those are self inflicted wounds.

4. I always liked Fessi wide in a 4-4-2 when Carlos did it to chase a game, and if we'd got the midfield beast we've needed for last few years I might still advocate it, but since Jos doesn't seem to trust FF defensively I think he's very unlikely to trust him in a 4-4-2.