The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Then so is Sheffield Wednesday or do you expect to leave history behind when we up sticks?

It happened, it was tragic, it wasn't your fault, it wasn't mine.

What happened at hillsborough was waiting to happen, that it happened at our home will always sadden Wednesday fans.

Fences made a lot of grounds unsafe, especially for large crowds of football fans almost anywhere in the country...It was madness.

I would hate to move away from Hillsborough, Ive been to most of the bloody sanitised toilet lookalike grounds all over....no character, no history, no ambience, they all seem somehow "Hollow".

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but thats simply how I feel, maybe its because ive trotted down there for over 50 years, so me view is skewed, but its simply how I see it, some younger fans might feel differently.

I look at some of dunsby owls pics...and honestly..i would sooner go back to something like that, character, 

The history of hillsborough is in the bricks, the odd little quirks, the bloody ridiculous odd turnstile that you can hardly fit through, summatt different around every corner...by all means build on that, keep the intrinsic nature of a wonderful historical football stadium, they are disappearing up and down the country for what?..The sake of finding somewhere to park for 10 minutes ?

Being in traffic for 10 minutes?

Nah...Not for me...I love the place

Can't plus you enough for this Andy. Thank you!

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Rumour from where?

That’s not important. Hallam Uni’s plan was to bus students in from Sheffield, but apparently it hasn’t really worked. It’s a huge site, and includes the old Aurora pitches. 

10 minutes ago, vulva said:

Rumour I’ve heard is that we are looking at the Sheffield Hallam site, Bawtry Road. Presume that’s for the training complex as opposed to ground. 

That'll be good for the players lungs.

Edited by Sham67

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

That’s not important. Hallam Uni’s plan was to bus students in from Sheffield, but apparently it hasn’t really worked. It’s a huge site, and includes the old Aurora pitches. 

Course its important...Was it from a bloke in the paper shop...or Chansiri...?

Hallam Uni had a "Bussing in students plan" before we had decided to move grounds....Hallam uni?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CF83OWL said:

The long term plans would be a move away from Hillsborough sadly.  

It would be cheaper to build a new stadium than update the current one to modern standards. It also wouldnt conflict with season fixtures. 

A new stadium by the M1 with rail link would be superb. I

As long as the new stadium is blue and it isnt some bog average Swansea stadium then the fans would eventually accept it. 

So many modern stadiums have no atmosphere. Bristol away for example. Hopefully by the time we get a new stadium safe standing will be allowed. 

I assume you have or have seen some kind of costing to arrive at the conclusion that it's cheaper to rebuild than renovate , I only say this because in the real world the opposite is almost always true, especially with individual designs.

What is clear is to move the club forward to become an established premier League club the stadium cannot stay as it is. A major refurbishment of hillsborough or a new stadium are a necessity 

what I can never understand is those who advocate a 35000 capacity. Take a look at the average attendances the year before the first premier League season we were fourth highest with 29500 , only three clubs averaged over 30000 last season twelve clubs averaged over 30000. That tells you how crowds at the top level have grown 

o believe we would easily average 33/34 thousand in the premier League more if capacity was higher. We should for me be looking at a 45000 World Cup ready stadium at least otherwise the undoubted potential the club has is wasted. Much as it pains me to say it I can only see that potential being fulfilled away from our current home 

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2018 at 02:37, theoldtimer said:

Ibrox is a nice stadium, but I find the stadium a little bit boring, with 3 sides looking the same, I prefer Anfield and Villa Park.

Stand design has come on quite abit. I like this steep stand design for Dynamo Dresden. It would be perfect for the kop and west stand where space is at a premium.

05dyna3.jpg

Those with vertigo or unsteady on their feet beware!

8 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

What is clear is to move the club forward to become an established premier League club the stadium cannot stay as it is. A major refurbishment of hillsborough or a new stadium are a necessity 

what I can never understand is those who advocate a 35000 capacity. Take a look at the average attendances the year before the first premier League season we were fourth highest with 29500 , only three clubs averaged over 30000 last season twelve clubs averaged over 30000. That tells you how crowds at the top level have grown 

o believe we would easily average 33/34 thousand in the premier League more if capacity was higher. We should for me be looking at a 45000 World Cup ready stadium at least otherwise the undoubted potential the club has is wasted. Much as it pains me to say it I can only see that potential being fulfilled away from our current home 

West Ham were sold only way to compete and establish the club in the top 6 was to move from Upton Park.

West Ham on the pitch have just carried on as normal while off the pitch lost a lot more and something they can never get back.

West Ham not just a one off either.

Do I want SWFC to become an established Premier League club again, yes.

But do I want to risk a lot of character and soul of the club so we can buy an couple of extra £5m prima dona footballers on £100k pw, no chance.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, vulva said:

So things are that advanced Hallam uni have got busses booked?

I've read some things on here but this really is up there !!!

On 11/10/2018 at 19:00, sw1867 said:

Ive always seen Wednesday as having its fanbase from every part of Sheffield. I’ve also associated Wednesday with the more affluent areas / post codes.

Not saying you are wrong, just my perception.

Dore, ecclesall road south, Totley, from Crookes westwards it's majority United. I didn't realise until I worked round those areas.

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat

Hillsborough is a fantastic ground full of character. Of course it needs modding up a bit and preferably a new west stand designed for more flexible ticket allocation. That is all. With regard World Cup bids being situated next to hillsborough park for a fan Zone is perfect. With a new west would be one of best in premier league. Goodson Park or the London Stadium. Goodison all day long for me. Style over substance !

8 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Dont think Dore is, know a lot a Wednesday there. Fulwood and Lodge Moor certainly aren’t but concede there are trufflers interspersed in pockets.

Not sure about Totley, Eccy Road South.

Crookes traditionally has been 50:50 but whenever I go up there for a drink it feels more Wednesday. In saying that, the lads I’m meeting are mainly Wednesday so could sway my feeling.

As others have said, I think with the movement of people these day the traditional areas have become more diluted.  

Ecclesall Road South, Totley & Millhouses had a big whiff about them when I worked there. Historically I think geography had an effect, as they just mosey down the long straight road to the sty rather than going over the big hills to Hillsborough. 

• Like 1

You wouldn’t call it Weedon Street though. I mean, that’s just asking for trouble and would give the oinkers plenty of ammo. Sod the East end anyway, it’s a dump and for most Sheffielders, the middle of nowhere. It gets all the polluted air from the city because in Sheffield the wind prevails from the Westa. That’s why most of the heavy industry is down there

Don't get the myth that there's no room to build at Hillsborough.....when the world cup bidding was done we got marked the highest for redevelopment possibilities etc

The South still has loads of room internally for improvement....there's loads of room to knock down and rebuild the west....behind the north there's a the old sports hall and shop and car park....and the kop has loads of space at the back