The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

1 hour ago, kristmace said:

What about the plans we put out a couple of years ago that would have gone with the 2018 World Cup bid?

I'd be more than happy to stay if we could pull that off. 

I liked the plans but I think it was too ambitious in relation to our support. Was it 45-48k seats? we'd be in the territory of having more empty seats than fans for most games in the Championship, and would probably struggle to fill it in the Premier. 

Personally, I rebuild to around 35k. Knock down the Kop and West Stand, build two stands very close to the pitch, focus on quality over size, and make Hillsborough an intimidating place to visit like the old Baseball ground.

3 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Wouldn't it be brilliant if a spaceship could come which just hovers over Hillsborough stadium, lifts the current stadium up into its underbelly, gets rid of all the old crumbling fack bits and drops a spankers 40k seater in its place complete with current character, iconic stuff like the clock but then updated with all the latest mod cons like Dyson hand dryers etc.

Would be mint.

I’ll have a word with Magical Megson and see if HE can do something. Something like this should be within HIS power. 

garymegson

The Cult of Megson 

• Haha 1

I thought it was going to be off shepcote lane right off the motorway junction. I don't want that anyway. Can't see any benefit to a new stadium when we have plenty of seats in the current home. Spend the money on adding modern touches to Hillsborough please.

22 minutes ago, sage owl said:

You can elland road to that list.

Elland Road has its pluses.

Good road network straight back to M1.

Excelent parking two min walk from the ground.

Large Bar for away supporters at the ground. Good place to meet your mates prior to the match..

Seating is poor and some seats have restricted viewing.

You could have a stadium anywhere in location in Sheffield but as soon as the council and SAG get involved they will make a complete clusterfuck of it.

Take our current home before the Sainsbury's up the road, we had a roundabout at the end of Penistone Road, that allowed a flow of traffic and there were some jams but not many, roll forward a few years and traffic light instead of a roundabout the roads is constantly at stand still and on match days is horrendous.

Hillsborough has been our home for a long time lets work on getting the current ground safe and able to allow a full capacity then if we start getting over 35,000 each and every week worry about a new bigger stadium then.

37 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

I often go passed this waste ground on the train north of Meadowhall and wonder if this could be a perfect spot....road & train links would be great (M1 to the right)

image.png.e7d597dfac45d48d2da55e1452f959e7.png

Problem with this is if you get hit by a car coming out of the wrong side of the ground the ambulance would take you to Moorgate Hospital where they have form for amputating the wrong leg. No Thanks ! Also we could become known as Blackburn Wednesday F.C.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Quist said:

Think Hillsborough is impossible to develop for numerus factors. It is a really difficult issue and reason why ho move has been made to develop or relocate. In the mean time the situation deteriorates.

I disagree for the following reasons:

1. The existing site could easily be developed to a 50,000+ capacity modern stadium by rebuilding the Lane End (tons of room to expand backwards), same applies to the Kop, fill in a couple of corners and bingo! Newcastle managed, why can't we?
  2. The site of the Wednesdayite Car Park could (if the will was there) be purchased and developed to improve the overall club facilities and revenue streams as well as providing vastly improved parking and access/egress to the area. I'm thinking a multi-story car park with entertainment and office facilities on the site and a raised walkway/pedestrian precinct/bridge over Penistone Road leading to an upper level access to a redeveloped Kop and improved access for the North Stand.
  3. We already have super tram links and when compared to many other grounds the transport links and road infrastructure are just as good (i.e. Highbury, Stamford Bridge, WHL etc.).
  4. Given climate and pollution concerns, it is only a matter of time (willing to bet within next decade) that the Wadsley Bridge railway line gets reopened as some form of commuter link up to Stocksbridge which would improve transport on match days.
  5. To build at an alternative site you have to factor in the above transport issues which rather limits us to areas such as Tinsley and Catcliffe (not even in Sheffield) which have possible rail and motorway links. Given the M1 is already so busy, would the Highways Authority, SYP, SAG etc even be willing to sanction the development given the traffic implications on the countries major north south link on match days in an area that is already notorious for traffic issues, accidents etc?
  6. There are valid reasons why 5 of the top clubs in the country have opted against relocating and gone for major redevelopment of their stadia or new stadia on (literally adjacent sites - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs) not to mention many other big clubs that have stayed in their local areas regardless of access issues (Leeds, Newcastle, Villa, Wolves etc.) It's to do with identity, tradition and not alienating the fanbase.
  7. Just look at the cost of Spurs new ground. Wednesday would never have such money to do that kind of new build, but 100 million would work miracles on our existing site and provide us with everything we need to move forward for the next 100 years
  8. Hillsborough has been our home for nigh on 120 years, I want that to remain the case for the next 120 years.
  9. Finally, why look for an alternative solution when there is an easy one staring you in the face?
Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meggoisgod said:

I often go passed this waste ground on the train north of Meadowhall and wonder if this could be a perfect spot....road & train links would be great (M1 to the right)

image.png.e7d597dfac45d48d2da55e1452f959e7.png

The old Arthur Lees site ? 

Love Hillsborough but it's in need of about £30m spending on it. And even then it will still be in an area with poor commercial possibilities outside swfc and still located in a poor location that floods, has poor transport links, terrible options for car parking without risking damage to car, and not enough space to develop social areas outside the stadium. Not forgetting the stigma that will forever hang over the name. For that reason, find me a area closer to the city. 

34 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I disagree for the following reasons:

1. The existing site could easily be developed to a 50,000+ capacity modern stadium by rebuilding the Lane End (tons of room to expand backwards), same applies to the Kop, fill in a couple of corners and bingo! Newcastle managed, why can't we?
  2. The site of the Wednesdayite Car Park could (if the will was there) be purchased and developed to improve the overall club facilities and revenue streams as well as providing vastly improved parking and access/egress to the area. I'm thinking a multi-story car park with entertainment and office facilities on the site and a raised walkway/pedestrian precinct/bridge over Penistone Road leading to an upper level access to a redeveloped Kop and improved access for the North Stand.
  3. We already have super tram links and when compared to many other grounds the transport links and road infrastructure are just as good (i.e. Highbury, Stamford Bridge, WHL etc.).
  4. Given climate and pollution concerns, it is only a matter of time (willing to bet within next decade) that the Wadsley Bridge railway line gets reopened as some form of commuter link up to Stocksbridge which would improve transport on match days.
  5. To build at an alternative site you have to factor in the above transport issues which rather limits us to areas such as Tinsley and Catcliffe (not even in Sheffield) which have possible rail and motorway links. Given the M1 is already so busy, would the Highways Authority, SYP, SAG etc even be willing to sanction the development given the traffic implications on the countries major north south link on match days in an area that is already notorious for traffic issues, accidents etc?
  6. There are valid reasons why 5 of the top clubs in the country have opted against relocating and gone for major redevelopment of their stadia or new stadia on (literally adjacent sites - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs) not to mention many other big clubs that have stayed in their local areas regardless of access issues (Leeds, Newcastle, Villa, Wolves etc.) It's to do with identity, tradition and not alienating the fanbase.
  7. Just look at the cost of Spurs new ground. Wednesday would never have such money to do that kind of new build, but 100 million would work miracles on our existing site and provide us with everything we need to move forward for the next 100 years
  8. Hillsborough has been our home for nigh on 120 years, I want that to remain the case for the next 120 years.
  9. Finally, why look for an alternative solution when there is an easy one staring you in the face?

Ok I was trying to be realistic rather than wishful thinking.

1. How do you deal with possibility of flooding? I am sure new rules are in place about building on flood plains? Near where I live a new housing estate was quashed because of this.

2.How long would it take to develop the above? Where will we play whilst above is being undertaken? What would happen to form of team if playing away for a couple of seasons? What impact would it have on finance during this period.

3..If Wednesdayite car park goes even more of a problem to park.

4. I agree about having valid reasons to move and a business case should consider all options including both rebuilding and moving site.

1/ Buy some canoes in case of flooding.

2/ play in HIllsbro park using jumpers for goalposts whilst ground developed .

3/  No idea 

4/ Hilksbro is a traditional,  proper football stadium and we should stay there.