Youngsters and Checkatrade

I think to get category 1 status you have got to be in Premiership, although you can keep status if relegated. It was set up to benefit Premier clubs and u/23 league likewise. The structure of reserve league is built around Premiership and Academy status.

We have had best squad at this level for a couple of years but promotion does not exist so you stay within same group. I think we need to arrange games against other u/23 and U/18 sides outside of league to ensure get tougher games. 

Our U/23 form has suffered in last 9 months due to players being used in first team and a very young team generally representing us in u/23 league. 

To get the status you have to spend a set amount of money on Academy each year and employ a set number of coaches. Think we would need to move to bigger raining ground to achieve any uplift. If we did get promoted rising to top level status should be a priority.

13 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Even if we were a category 1 academy I wouldn't want us to take part in it. Still don't agree with the farce that is the Checkatrade Trophy. Completely devalues the trophy and the idea of a League 1/2 club getting to Wembley and winning something.

Agreed.

I can’t see what there is to be gained from our young lads playing 2nd string players from the lower leagues

35 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

This was the beauty of the old Central League,when we had a Second XI. This would contain all the first teamers who ere not 'playing and on the bench'

The worst thing they did getting rid of it. I loved going down to watch the reserves . Free entry for ST holders too. I've still got a lot of the old sheets they handed out with the teams on somewhere in the loft.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ka58 said:

Yeah but imagine where the likes of Penney, Preston,baker etc would be if for the last 1 or 2 seasons they’d been playing against established professionals who weren’t getting first team football.

instead of playing against other young lads on empty training grounds.

That's what happens at U23 level.  There are just limits on ringers.

Just not bothered...

5 hours ago, Quist said:

I think to get category 1 status you have got to be in Premiership, although you can keep status if relegated. It was set up to benefit Premier clubs and u/23 league likewise. The structure of reserve league is built around Premiership and Academy status.

We have had best squad at this level for a couple of years but promotion does not exist so you stay within same group. I think we need to arrange games against other u/23 and U/18 sides outside of league to ensure get tougher games. 

Our U/23 form has suffered in last 9 months due to players being used in first team and a very young team generally representing us in u/23 league. 

To get the status you have to spend a set amount of money on Academy each year and employ a set number of coaches. Think we would need to move to bigger raining ground to achieve any uplift. If we did get promoted rising to top level status should be a priority.

Brighton entered it as a Championship side.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-apply-for-category-one-academy-status-1-2170760

Ipswich applied for it.

5 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

That's what happens at U23 level.  There are just limits on ringers.

Well there shouldn’t be limits. 

There used to be the northern intermediate league which is effectively what we have now - and then the pontins league which is the missing bridge into being first team ready now.

I think we play Colchester 23s tomorrow what possible good can that do to the lads who play, what are the going to learn playing against young  lads from a 4th division side  who probably got up at 5am travelled 200 miles to play a game in an empty stadium /training pitch   . ….i'll never understand why they did away with central league .

17 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wouldn’t you love a trip to Wembley to cheer on a team featuring Nielsen, O’Grady, Borukov et al?

If the scenario arose then no doubt several thousands would take the chance to go down to Wembley. Would I be one of them? Maybe, maybe not. It's more a wider issue for me. Yeah it might be great for Sheffield Wednesday but the game in general is in a worrying position with the EFL trophy. It was fine as it was, it's also unfair as League 1/2 teams are still limited to who they can/can't select while they each have to play at least one U23 team.

12 hours ago, Quist said:

Any team in the league system (prem to league 2) can apply to be a cat 1 academy - it's not to do with the status of the level that the first team play - it's purely down to the facilities, philosophy and staffing of the academy

I genuinely don't see the benefit of being cat 1 while the rules remain as they currently are

12 hours ago, torryowl said:

I think we play Colchester 23s tomorrow what possible good can that do to the lads who play, what are the going to learn playing against young  lads from a 4th division side  who probably got up at 5am travelled 200 miles to play a game in an empty stadium /training pitch   . ….i'll never understand why they did away with central league .

Couldn't agree more.  

22 hours ago, Quist said:

Wolves were Cat 1 whilst in league 1

On 09/09/2018 at 00:04, S36 OWL said:

Agree, we have done well with the players that have come through, but you cant beat competitive games against seasoned pro`s to gain experience , something they dont get against other kids in academy games. 

Wasn't almost all the Coventry side we drew 2-2 with last week full of players that had plenty of league experience??, so probably depends who your playing. 

1 hour ago, BHA83 said:

About 2-3m a year in running costs. 

How is it working out with Brighton in terms of getting younger players through?

or do you think their chances will be blocked by signing foreign players, to assist in trying keep Brighton in the Premier League?