What is really behind decisions?

Westwood 3rd choice? Is he on an extra fee for each appearance?

Jones banished? As above

I suspect most decisions at present are made based on economic factors rather than ability.

This will be out of Jos' hands. Even DC can do very little about it due to FFP.

The danger is we get on the backs of those we have available to do a job.

8 minutes ago, heppers said:

Possibly. Or maybe the manager just prefers Dawson from what he's seen since he's been here.

Jones banished? As above

£6billion per week contract apparently with a new contract clause 

I suspect most decisions at present are made based on economic factors rather than ability.

No way of knowing unless there's a leak or a statment admitting to it.  Which would be unlikely.  

Jos might actually prefer the kids to some of the old hands. It might seem far fetched. But who knows

I think that is a very real danger. There is never any great a player than one currently not in the team. Though it had always been the case. I've heard Sterland booed. Sheridan booed. People always want a pop at someone when results aren't stacking up.  Up to Jos and the lads to get some wins

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heppers said:

Jones banished? As above

Suppose we decide to play Westwood

We would then lose at least one of our two very good young keepers

Dawson or Wildesmith could become a top keeper, they could be our first choice keeper for the rest of their careers

I rate Westwood, but it doesn’t make sense to keep him when we have two very good youngsters who will both become restless and probably look to move on if they don’t get games

If a club has good kids coming through, a path must be created to the first team otherwise it creates a detrimental effect on a club, and then what’s the point of having an academy

I’m all for it, sell Westwood while he still commands a decent fee, it’s the way forward

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

19 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Was just thinking that, you have to wonder why they're doing it 

I guess because many find it extraordinary that any manager would relegate the best keeper in the division into 3rd place, especially with our defence.

Were Bannan and FF similarly demoted, then doubtless that too would arouse similar disbelief.

Los Luhukay's explanations don't hold water.

32 minutes ago, Eightace said:

Well it is strange really.

You don't drop Westwood for no reason.

Not saying this is all it's about- because there's clearly a bit more to it, but I have a feeling if we asked Westwood to.come.out 10 mins before  next home game, stuck a player on the touchline 40 yards up the pitch and asked Westwood to drop a pass in to his feet it might give us a clue.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Suppose we decide to play Westwood

We would then lose at least one of our two very good young keepers

Dawson or Wildesmith could become a top keeper, they could be our first choice keeper for the rest of their careers

I rate Westwood, but it doesn’t make sense to keep him when we have two very good youngsters who will both become restless and probably look to move on if they don’t get games

If a club has good kids coming through, a path must be created to the first team otherwise it creates a detrimental effect on a club, and then what’s the point of having an academy

I’m all for it, sell Westwood while he still commands a decent fee, it’s the way forward

Even if Westwood goes, one of them still isn't getting games.

Personally if Westwood is staying I think you've got to play him as first choice, and then loan out one of the others for guaranteed games at probably league one level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eightace said:

Well it is strange really.

You don't drop Westwood for no reason.

Maybe its becuase we need to sell him.... like DESPERATELY need to sell him to come out of FFP Embargo and 1. he probably doesn't want to go and 2. We can't risk him getting injured.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

More to everything than meets the eye.

Biggsy and Nicko are on the case investigating.

The answers to the OP are obvious, so Biggsy shouldn't have any problem getting the bottom of this case

... possibly, maybe post-445-0-99586200-1403613767_thumb.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ... said:

Maybe its becuase we need to sell him.... like DESPERATELY need to sell him to come out of FFP Embargo and 1. he probably doesn't want to go and 2. We can't risk him getting injured.

I think the latest estimates are we need 12 million pounds as quickly as poss

The FFP Podcast has so much info in it I can't recommend it enough

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I think the latest estimates are we need 12 million pounds as quickly as poss

The FFP Podcast has so much info in it I can't recommend it enough

Listened to most of it last night while falling asleep. Selling Westwood obviously going to cover the 12 million deficit for next year but it shows the right intentions to the EFL. I'm certain the glimmer of hope Chansiri was talking about was the prospect of selling Westwood to Stoke to replace Foster but that never materialised. 

• Like 1

Just now, ... said:

Listened to most of it last night while falling asleep. Selling Westwood obviously going to cover the 12 million deficit for next year but it shows the right intentions to the EFL. I'm certain the glimmer of hope Chansiri was talking about was the prospect of selling Westwood to Stoke to replace Foster but that never materialised. 

Hopefully we can make the most of this loan window or selling players to foreign teams window that we're currently in to get some money brought in asap mate

Owlstalk Shop

10 hours ago, heppers said:

Jos has said that's not the case. I suspect it's more that the club and Westwood have agreed that he's goin gto move out on loan if at all possible, so we're giving Dawson games with the defense, so they can develop a better understanding, rather than playing Westwood till he's gone then put Dawson in and start that process a handful of games into the season. The only way it makes sense is if Westwood has said he wants to go.

Jones banished? As above
Jones' was far from great last season, is seems like he's just that bit too slow now, unfortunately. So we're using a few places on the bench to offer some of the promising kids opportunities to get on and get some game time and experience instead. Seems sensible to me.

Not sure i'd agree with that. We wouldn't leave Westwood out just because. It'll be because he wants to go. And Jones isn't there because we're looking forwards and want to try and look after the future with giving our young players a chance. Neither are directly money related, tho in football these days money is often part of a reason for most things.

Yeah, Jos has little input on the money side of things, but then few managers do these days, so that's not unusual. As for DC dealing with FFP.. we'll have to wait and see there, not much point speculating about it until there's anything to really talk about.

Some of the fans have been doing that since before we even kicked a ball. They've decided that some of the players just aren't good enough, so are slating them at every opportunity and i saw a torrent of 'jos out' posts in fb after the final whistle on saturday. Some of our fans are idiots.. what can you do.

8 minutes ago, alanharper said:

There's only one way we're going to raise that amount through player sales. And it's the player who we can least afford to lose.

According to recent posts that player is David Jones.

The 33 year old midfield dynamo we've been crying out for.

It's a sad state of affairs,  but if clearing his near £10m per week wage off the books helps us,  then it has to be done.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

We are 2 games into a new season and the conspiracy threads are up and running, how very Owlstalk

It's hardly a conspiracy to suggest that decisions are now being made with costcutting as the primary goal.

Given the situation DC has created for himself, it's the only thing to do.  The club suggesting these decisions are being made for other reasons (eg Westwood is third choice on merit) is just insulting the intelligence of fans however.

• Thanks 1