Jos

Chansiri has stated on a few occasions that he’s being paid more than what Carlos was. I suspect this is the main reason he’s sticking around as we’ve all speculated as to why he would put up with the shambles he’s inherited?

That said I would love to see him stick with what obviously works and stop pi$$ing about with line-ups/tactics that obviously don’t. If he does the former as long a shot as it may be we could still be pleasantly surprised come the end of the campaign?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

He needs to ditch 3-5-2 . We havnt got the players to play that system.

Umm.. what?

Last season we played 352/343/351 and won 6 of the last 8 games we played that formation.

We lose 1 games to wigan.. barely.. and suddenly we dont have the players..

some fans.. ffs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Umm.. what?

Last season we played 352/343/351 and won 6 of the last 8 games we played that formation.

some fans.. ffs

Watching that game you could completely tell that 3 at the back isn't for us. And yes we won a fair few games at the end of last season but in each we looked total dog shyte. 

4 at the back is a must. 

9 minutes ago, zakswfc said:

Watching that game you could completely tell that 3 at the back isn't for us. And yes we won a fair few games at the end of last season but in each we looked total dog shyte. 

4 at the back is a must. 

Who partners Lees in your two centreback partnership and who plays left back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Umm.. what?

some fans.. ffs

The poster stated we don't have the players to play 3-5-2...you then stated two different systems.

Just because you play three at the back, doesn't mean all systems play out the same.

The system we played when Jos first arrived was more of a 5 at the back system, which worked to an extent. Towards the end, we played 3-4-3 which brings the best out of most of our attacking players, but still exposes a two man midfield and relies heavily on our wing backs.

Since Jos has arrived, aside from the 5-5-0 at Millwall, our most ineffective system, by a long way, has been the 3-5-2. 

• Like 1

In fairness, most of our fans said they would judge him on a clean slate from the start of this season. He also finished the campaign last season on a great run in the last 10 games which cannot be forgotten. 

Lets see what he can do with this squad. Wigan were always going to be a real tough game away on the first game of the season. I just hope the players are going to stay motivated through defeat with all the off pitch issues. 

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

Umm.. what?

some fans.. ffs

This is the main problem for me. He had a winning formation and way of playing 6 out of 8 wins brill.

He then starts the season with a different formation with 2 up top and players (hutch and Lees) in positions that just don't look right. I've seen two games with the players in those positions and I can tell its not working. If Jos plays them in exactly the same positions on sat then sorry he's not the person to take us forward iMO.

• Haha 1

I'm hoping - that he tries something new on Saturday 

We can't keep going with the 3-5-2 - it's totally ineffective with the squad we have

Don't want to see us keep trying the same method for 5 games, get f*ck all out of them and then realise when it's too late 

• Haha 1

I think Jos is torn between his naturally cautious instincts and best utilising the players he has at his disposal.

I think he likes 3-5-2 as he thinks it makes us more solid defensively; whereas 3-4-3 suits the squad better as it aleviates our weaknesses at wing back and enables us to utilise our much stronger forward line more effectively.

I'd like to see him go 3-4-3 for 95% of the games this season, only playing 5 in midfield when our only real aim is to nullify the opposition.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

We don’t now have Venancio and Loovens

We didn't have Loovens then either.. he was sat in the stands. Unless he's THAT good a cheerleader.

As for Venancio.. we now have a slightly worse central defender.. that's hardly "we dont have the players" now, is it?

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

The poster stated we don't have the players to play 3-5-2...you then stated two different systems.

His follow up says we are not missing 2 central defenders, one of whom didnt play anyway.

So since all those formations use 3 at the back, and all we've done is swap one good defender for a slightly less good defender, i'm not sure how (given his stated reasons) we suddenly "dont have the players".

if he's talked about central midfielders not being up to it.. that's a different conversation.. or the forwards being rubbish.. again that's something else.. but it was purely that the back like had 1 different face in it. So i'm hoping to find out why that suddenly means "we dont have the players".

3 hours ago, zakswfc said:

4 at the back is a must. 

Devils advocate we played 4 at the back twice back end last season and got battered by Bolton and then Bristol City

3 hours ago, zakswfc said:

4 at the back is a must. 

I think it was the way we played the system. JVA was all over the place, Tom Lees wasn’t comfortable on the right of the 3 and Reach was too far forwards when Pudil needed cover. When Hutch dropped in the system made sense and we looked like a team. 

Given our RB or RWB is Palmer either way and our LB or LWB is drawn from Fox or Reach (by common consent Pudil is best now at CB) and Lord Snooty says we're not good at 352 then I would favour 4123 until such time as we get two good wingbacks. 

Palmer  Lees  Hutch/Pudil  Fox (I know) 

Pelupessy CDM cover for CBs

Bannan Reach link to front 3 cover FBs

Joao  Fletcher Foriestieri 

That's my thoughts but as my son would tell you I really have not much idea. :biggrin:

32 minutes ago, cookeh said:

We didn't have Loovens then either.. he was sat in the stands. Unless he's THAT good a cheerleader.

As for Venancio.. we now have a slightly worse central defender.. that's hardly "we dont have the players" now, is it?

We have also lost Hunt our first choice RWB

So that’s a RCB and a RWB.

Vanancio is a far better defender than JVA, to say ‘slightly worse’ is a massive understatement at the moment although JVA may improve in time.

Hunt is a far better wingback than Palmer. After giving both Palmer and Hunt a fair crack at it Jos selected Hunt every time he was fit. He even selected Reach and then Baker ahead of Palmer in two games when Hunt was out injured.

Apparently we moved Lees to the right of the three centre backs, that’s not his game as he should be the central one. So there is another change to how we set up from last season. 

Pudil’s legs had gone at left back so we moved him to LCB. TBF I thought he played quite well in that role but there were little signs that time may be catching up with him at LCB.

Reach at LWB is anyone’s guess to how it will go as you can easily see both sides of the argument.

So that’s a a back five that is 2/5ths weaker and a positional change that doesn’t really suit arguably our best centre back.

Edited by Walt