Every midweek game live on Sky

Guest Willow Owl
16 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Cool so I can watch any midweek game for 10 quid. 

Nice

How dare they charge this, are they trying to price me out from watching the team i love!!!! 

I have never had Sky. When they said they were going to charge a fee for watching TV I said why would anyone PAY to watch something you now get for free (well, for the licence fee).

I was so wrong. 

Sky, Amazon, Facebook, Paypal, Apple, et al make out they are the ordinary persons friend. They are just the opposite and they are destroying life as we know it

6 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Never had sky sports, never will have sky sports!

If I paid all that money I'd be wanting to watch all the matches but the wife would have a problem with it, having said that when I do watch the occasional premier league game if it's not 4-4 after 10 mins I'm bored anyway!

I only watch Wednesday's highlights on YouTube and then that's only if we have won!

You’re obviously in love with the game. 

• Haha 2

Best option for football going forward is this....

Last season we averaged gates of 26,000 - Lets say on average people paid £38 to get in, that's about £1,000,000 gate receipts per game.

23 home games in a season, to recover the £1,000,000, what you really want is 52,000 people willing to pay what works out as £20/game.  £460 for a season ticket to watch all home games on TV.

Then what the club does is offer free entry into the ground for 35,000 people. Each week anyone who has bought a season ticket can apply. 

Result, same income to the club. 10,000 more fans in the ground each week. More kiosk sales from the extra fans. Better atmosphere from the extra fans. More happy Sheffield Wednesday fans sitting at home in the warm watching the game.

It's the future!

(could even throw in a deal, £499 and you get a free shirt, home or away - Massive increase in shirt sales for what looks like a steal)

• Like 1

I reckon it goes in cycles.

There may be an initial drop off in attendances, but once people realise it's just not the same, they'll start drifting back.

The atmosphere cannot be replicated, it is basically censored to avoid viewers seeing anything untoward, they filter the crowd noise and then, definitely where the Championship is concerned, talk uninformed Bol***s.

Even allowing for that, I don't think we should be afraid of progress, it's happening in every facet of daily life, where instant, on demand supply is the norm and football is no different.  We can't be like Canute, trying to demand the tide doesn't come in. It's going to change and no matter how unpalatable for some and how vociferous the usual protests will be we either move with it or die trying to resist.  

One thing though, the importance of selling season tickets up front will be paramount & more important than ever for obvious reasons, not least the guaranteed income & the fact that inevitably, the casualties to Sky will be the occasional supporters.

And I'll say it before any of the DC bashers can jump in, especially when they would be paying punitive prices for POTG.

2 minutes ago, David Somni Jennings said:

Best option for football going forward is this....

Last season we averaged gates of 26,000 - Lets say on average people paid £38 to get in, that's about £1,000,000 gate receipts per game.

23 home games in a season, to recover the £1,000,000, what you really want is 52,000 people willing to pay what works out as £20/game.  £460 for a season ticket to watch all home games on TV.

Then what the club does is offer free entry into the ground for 35,000 people. Each week anyone who has bought a season ticket can apply. 

Result, same income to the club. 10,000 more fans in the ground each week. More kiosk sales from the extra fans. Better atmosphere from the extra fans. More happy Sheffield Wednesday fans sitting at home in the warm watching the game.

It's the future!

(could even throw in a deal, £499 and you get a free shirt, home or away - Massive increase in shirt sales for what looks like a steal)

So I pay the same for my season ticket but can only watch games I’m invited to, but I can watch the rest on tv?  That sounds great where do I sign up?

im 60 and the thing I’ve always enjoyed about football is spending the day with my mates and brothers. Having a few beers before and after, having a laugh and a catch up. It’s not just about the 90 minutes football. In fact for most of the time the football has spoiled a good day.

dont think the telly folk fullly understand that “football culture”, and that’s why it will sadly kill itself

Just now, Plonk said:

So I pay the same for my season ticket but can only watch games I’m invited to, but I can watch the rest on tv?  That sounds great where do I sign up?

im 60 and the thing I’ve always enjoyed about football is spending the day with my mates and brothers. Having a few beers before and after, having a laugh and a catch up. It’s not just about the 90 minutes football. In fact for most of the time the football has spoiled a good day.

dont think the telly folk fullly understand that “football culture”, and that’s why it will sadly kill itself

It's ok, Hillsborough has been "full" about twice in the last few years, you'll be pretty much guaranteed a seat if you apply I'm sure  :)

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Top post mate, this 100%

8 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I reckon it goes in cycles.

There may be an initial drop off in attendances, but once people realise it's just not the same, they'll start drifting back.

The atmosphere cannot be replicated, it is basically censored to avoid viewers seeing anything untoward, they filter the crowd noise and then, definitely where the Championship is concerned, talk uninformed Bol***s.

Even allowing for that, I don't think we should be afraid of progress, it's happening in every facet of daily life, where instant, on demand supply is the norm and football is no different.  We can't be like Canute, trying to demand the tide doesn't come in. It's going to change and no matter how unpalatable for some and how vociferous the usual protests will be we either move with it or die trying to resist.  

One thing though, the importance of selling season tickets up front will be paramount & more important than ever for obvious reasons, not least the guaranteed income & the fact that inevitably, the casualties to Sky will be the occasional supporters.

And I'll say it before any of the DC bashers can jump in, especially when they would be paying punitive prices for POTG.

Never any atmosphere at night matches anyway

16 minutes ago, fatbloke no1 said:

Never any atmosphere at night matches anyway

Which is so sad , as when I started going in the early 90's night games were the best. Remember a Wimbledon away fixture on a friday , we took about 2700, and think Sibon scored a winner with about 5 minutes to go. Was fecking freezing in the run up to christmas but was of the best away atmospheres have been in. Probably people just needing to keep warm. 

1 hour ago, simpark said:

iFollow have already announced that midweek games will be live - this is Sky playing catch up

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/watch-the-owls-live-this-season/

Not if you're abroad.

It's a money making scam as everything is nowadays, UK viewers get the pleasure of midweek games for a 100% increase, whilst oversees viewers will have even less games for their 110 quid.

1 hour ago, torres said:

In 20 years it’ll cost 4 grand to get in our ground 

Clubs should be doing everything they can to get fans in the stadium - ours are doing the opposite 

That’s my issue. I’d love to go to all home midweek matches, but the 140+ mile round trip & ticket prices make it hard to justify the expense

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

One of the latest SKY ads shows a stadium full of armchairs. That's exactly where it's going folks.

They'll probably have the stands populated by holograms to "enhance the viewers enjoyment" 

This really wee wees me off. They have been really pushing that on the TV is the normal way to watch football and likening it to really going to games.

Last year their campaign was about never forgetting your first game, which is ironic since they have created a generation of football fans who don't go to games.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks Sky Sports is a rip off- its the same per month as 45 mins in the South Stand v Hull.

Agree this will affect attendances, but the club's get paid big money by Sky, but don't they choose to pass that money back to the players rather than making it more affordable to attend?

I bet there are some clubs that will make these midweek games more appealing by lowering the ticket prices.

I bet we're not amongst them.

Sky and BT have been losing subscribers on a steady basis for a couple of years now. To me, this is just a way of trying to get people to subscribe to the football channel. who normally wouldn't

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

agree

Chairmen such as ours are having to charge ridiculous sums due to P&S restraints just to try and compete with the parachute clubs.  

I fecking hate Sky and all it's done to the game we all loved 

Yes but it's going wrong due to the enormous amount of greed within football: clubs, owners, players and agents. When Sky, and now other broadcasters, started to pay the astronomical sums they do then clubs should have given some of this back to their fan base by lowering admission prices. Everyone would win then: fans enjoy lower prices, clubs have full stadiums and lots of merchandising revenue and new fans. But no they want to screw every last penny from us. Of course where do Sky get their money from - us the very same fans in many instances. I sometimes feel like I'm paying twice.

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Anyone who thinks Sky Sports is a rip off- its the same per month as 45 mins in the South Stand v Hull.

Agree this will affect attendances, but the club's get paid big money by Sky, but don't they choose to pass that money back to the players rather than making it more affordable to attend?

I bet there are some clubs that will make these midweek games more appealing by lowering the ticket prices.

I bet we're not amongst them.

R  taking from that you think SKy been good for the game ?

22 minutes ago, UDMURT said:

Which is so sad , as when I started going in the early 90's night games were the best. Remember a Wimbledon away fixture on a friday , we took about 2700, and think Sibon scored a winner with about 5 minutes to go. Was fecking freezing in the run up to christmas but was of the best away atmospheres have been in. Probably people just needing to keep warm. 

There was definitely something special about midweek games in the 80s and 90s.

I think it was the mixed aroma of pies, tobacco smoke and trumps.

• Haha 2