Every midweek game live on Sky

1 minute ago, darra said:

Sky and BT have been losing subscribers on a steady basis for a couple of years now. To me, this is just a way of trying to get people to subscribe to the football channel. who normally wouldn't

Agreed, and it's a good one. This will definitely make me more likely to carry on with Sky, even as a season ticket holder. Sounds a great service.

7 minutes ago, steelowl said:

I think there are plusses and minuses.

Question is are Sky to blame for the way the money is distributed?

Can you imagine if just 5% of the TV rights was put into grass roots football? We'd have the most incredible facilities for people of all ages to play the game.

Who's fault is it that instead of that scenario we have the greed ridden culture that runs through the game now? Sky, the Premier League? The FA. I genuinely don't know the answer.

What I do know is that the Premier League is the envy of many other countries and is arguably England's greatest export of the last 20 years, yet somehow in many ways it's seen as the route of all evil. 

Where did it all go so wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northeastowl said:

What I don’t understand is ifollow announced that from this season that fans in the UK can pay to watch midweek games, yet they are allowing sky to show them too. Surely ifollow would have made sure they had exclusive rights. Who’s going to pay to watch the game on a phone or laptop when you can get it on tv.

Yeah I know not everyone has sky but most people will nowadays.

Agree with this mate

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

So I pay the same for my season ticket but can only watch games I’m invited to, but I can watch the rest on tv?  That sounds great where do I sign up?

im 60 and the thing I’ve always enjoyed about football is spending the day with my mates and brothers. Having a few beers before and after, having a laugh and a catch up. It’s not just about the 90 minutes football. In fact for most of the time the football has spoiled a good day.

dont think the telly folk fullly understand that “football culture”, and that’s why it will sadly kill itself

The way I read the idea was that any recent previous season ticket holders would get a season ticket for free as the money previously spent on season tickets could easily be recouped by the spend on TV subscriptions for matches. Don't think there would be a waiting list of previous season ticket holders for invites - all current season ticket holders would get a ticket for every game gratis. 

2 hours ago, David Somni Jennings said:

I've said it before, offer me every Sheffield Wednesday game on a subscription channel for the price of a season ticket, and I'll buy it. There are probably thousands out there who would. Its a treasure chest full of profit for football, a market they need to capture.

With prices going through the roof for entry into the ground, I bet there are quite a few families who are over the moon about this one! Save themselves £200 entry fees and a night in the cold after a long day at work.

What a good idea. Save on police costs, stewardcosts etc too. It's about time clubs stopped letting fans in anyway. Much better if we all just stayed at home and watched it on tv. Could also eventually get rid of these other rubbish divisions too and just have premiership, or better still just a European league. All fans would support man man c Liverpool or Chelsea... the 4 remaining clubs would make a fortune and tv companies make even more.. everyone's a winner

Edited by wakefieldowl

1 hour ago, Wakefield owl said:

Yes but it's going wrong due to the enormous amount of greed within football: clubs, owners, players and agents. When Sky, and now other broadcasters, started to pay the astronomical sums they do then clubs should have given some of this back to their fan base by lowering admission prices. Everyone would win then: fans enjoy lower prices, clubs have full stadiums and lots of merchandising revenue and new fans. But no they want to screw every last penny from us. Of course where do Sky get their money from - us the very same fans in many instances. I sometimes feel like I'm paying twice.

Dont buy sky then

I pay less for Sky a month than it costs to watch a Home game Iin the south stand,  that’s for the full package movies and all sports,  I know which one is better value for money .

Edited by Owl999

1 hour ago, Wakefield owl said:

Yes but it's going wrong due to the enormous amount of greed within football: clubs, owners, players and agents. When Sky, and now other broadcasters, started to pay the astronomical sums they do then clubs should have given some of this back to their fan base by lowering admission prices. Everyone would win then: fans enjoy lower prices, clubs have full stadiums and lots of merchandising revenue and new fans. But no they want to screw every last penny from us. Of course where do Sky get their money from - us the very same fans in many instances. I sometimes feel like I'm paying twice.

15 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

Dont buy sky then

When I read these 2 posts together, for a minute I thought Wakefield Owl was replying in contradiction to himself!

Sadly I am easily confused. :picnic: 

4 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

I pay less for Sky a month than it costs to watch a Home game Iin the south stand,  that’s for the full package movies and all sports,  I know which one is better value for money .

How are you managing that? Our Sky package is extortionate and we have got a reduced rate on Sky Sports.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

How are you managing that? Our Sky package is extortionate and we have got a reduced rate on Sky Sports.

Just what I was offered for 18 months after returning to them from Virgin 

4 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Just what I was offered for 18 months after returning to them from Virgin 

That's the key isn't it. We got a little bit off for considering chucking it in. If you actually go through with ditching Sky for a few months they will roll out the red carpet to get you back. Nowt like rewarding loyalty.

3 hours ago, Maxine said:

It's Boring watching football at home I love a mid week game, there's no comparison. 

Your right Maxine there is no comparison but live football is not accessible to many, sky and BT give me affordable and convenient access to some of the best live sport in the world. 

I have been a sky customer for 28 years

9 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Sky is like British Gas - People who buy it deserve everything they get

Hot food nice warm house n a shower when I want !! .

And now midweek matches without a minimum 200 mile round trip less fuel wear n tear 

On car ..

So im going to Lower the carbon footprint a tad 

Think our gas comes from Norway anyway ? 

"Eg har det bra takk" 

lol

• Haha 1

i dont agree with this, it will massively affect attendances, atmosphere at midweek games will be non existent. people will choose the warm comfy sofa instead of the freezing cold cop on a tuesday night, i think season ticket holders will choose to watch it at home at times.