#SWFC LINEUP | Sheffield Wednesday vs Villareal

Be fascinating to see what JL can get from Hutchinson who for all the injury issues has more talent than most players at this level.

I hope we will see more of FF playing free role with two more orthodox strikers. On the face of it that's more attractive than the midfield three: though perhaps this line up allows Bannan to get further forward. 

Little concerned that Jos seems to have reverted back to the 5-3-2 he employed when he first arrived. 

It did a job then. Made us competitive, hard to beat. But, it was disjointed, and very lacklustre offensively. And a midfield three including the very limited Hutchinson and Peluessy, certainly won't help alleviate any of those issues. 

Looking at that line-up, nothing makes me encouraged that any of that will change...except the fact we are much weaker defensively following the loss of Venancio and Hunt within that back five.

When we reverted to the 3-4-3 late on in the season, it wasn't perfect (we concerned too many chances), but we looked fantastic going forward, and it allowed Forestieri and Joao the freedom they need to cause the most havoc. Playing Forestieri within a front two, restricts him too much imo. He needs to be exploiting space by drifting in from wide areas. But we only seemed to have played this system once this pre-season (for half a game). 

5 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Little concerned that Jos seems to have reverted back to the 5-3-2 he employed when he first arrived. 

It did a job then. Made us competitive, hard to beat. But, it was disjointed, and very lacklustre offensively. And a midfield three including the very limited Hutchinson and Peluessy, certainly won't help alleviate any of those issues. 

Looking at that line-up, nothing makes me encouraged that any of that will change...except the fact we are much weaker defensively following the loss of Venancio and Hunt within that back five.

When we reverted to the 3-4-3 late on in the season, it wasn't perfect (we concerned too many chances), but we looked fantastic going forward, and it allowed Forestieri and Joao the freedom they need to cause the most havoc. Playing Forestieri within a front two, restricts him too much imo. He needs to be exploiting space by drifting in from wide areas. But we only seemed to have played this system once this pre-season (for half a game). 

Pretty much, yeah

Slightly disappointed that jos seems to be settled on going with a front two rather than a front three, no lessons learned from the carlos era when all our strikers suffered playing in a front two with one of the two dropping deep.

The back end of last season Joao, forestieri and nuhiu caused all kinds of problems for defences and seemed to get the best out of the front three. Seemes a negative way to start to the season we are going to be in for many dull games with the lack of creativity with hutch and pelupessy in midfield. Cant help but feel even with our slightly weakened squad we might just surprised a few teams going for it each game albeit there would be the odd game where we get turned over by a few goals.

Just now, theowlsman said:

This match ought to tell us what our starting line up will look like for the first league game.

I don't believe it will run away with the league but fingers crossed.

We should be focussing on not leaving the division through the bottom door rather than the top.

Fans expectations need to be seriously tempered. Promotion simply isn't on the cards this season. We are weak in far too many areas. 

I'm no pessimist...but I genuinely believe a season without any threat of a relegation would be a success this season. A poor start, and we could end up in a right old pickle. 

1 minute ago, N0rtherner said:

Good lineup!

Really, that back 5 scares the poo out of me. Our 343 team towards the back end of last season would beat this one no problem.

frastheowl has nailed it, every point bang on the money.

14 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Got mid table mediocrity and lack of goal threat written all over that line up.

God help us if we lose FF.

Have to agree. Looks like Westwood is on his way and with Palmer and Boyd as our wing backs. Well. Bwaaaaaah.

1 minute ago, BenitoCarbone said:

So this is probably how we will line up for the Champ starter.

Bit surprising that Reach is benched. Think maybe I’d rather have him in there than both Vutch and Pelupessy.

Other than that, as expected.

Agree. But Reach is a square peg in a round hole with Jos’s system. He doesn’t quite fit anywhere properly. (Cannot defend well enough for wing back, not strong enough to play central). He’s a left winger, out and out for me. He had an unbelievable season last year and rightly won player of the year. But if we are in the poo financially then I would reluctantly lose reach over players like Westwood and Hunt and whoever else has to go.

10 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Agree. But Reach is a square peg in a round hole with Jos’s system. He doesn’t quite fit anywhere properly. (Cannot defend well enough for wing back, not strong enough to play central). He’s a left winger, out and out for me. He had an unbelievable season last year and rightly won player of the year. But if we are in the poo financially then I would reluctantly lose reach over players like Westwood and Hunt and whoever else has to go.

Reach will start against Wigan. I guarantee you.