#SWFC LINEUP | Sheffield Wednesday vs Villareal

39 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Got mid table mediocrity and lack of goal threat written all over that line up.

God help us if we lose FF.

You seem to have missed the fact that Nuhiu is nailed on to score at least 35 this season. He scored a hatrick on the last day of last season 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hatcheeks said:

You seem to have missed the fact that Nuhiu is nailed on to score at least 35 this season. He scored a hatrick on the last day of last season 

It shows how badly the squad has been mismanaged when he's our best hope.

Cheers Carlos and Mr Chairman.

32 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

We should be focussing on not leaving the division through the bottom door rather than the top.

Fans expectations need to be seriously tempered. Promotion simply isn't on the cards this season. We are weak in far too many areas. 

I'm no pessimist...but I genuinely believe a season without any threat of a relegation would be a success this season. A poor start, and we could end up in a right old pickle. 

Problem is mate when your paying £40 a game in the second division you expect to be challenging at the top end of the table. If we are planning for a mid table maybe flirting with the bottom half the fans are not gonna get ripped off for long.m

DC needs to get his cheque book out and get some wing backs signed in the next few days or We are going to concede a lot of goals from crosses. With Pudil in a back three he is crap a jumping and heading.

Villareal are superior opposition, so if we lose this game (as we are in every department so far, including the score line) I will not be too surprised or disappointed. I assume Jos is playing Hutch and JP together to cope with their attacking threat, and will not use this set up regularly in the league. 

However - the lack of balance in this team is very frustrating to watch. Again we have no pace, Boyd and Palmer look poor down the flanks and can't get into the game. Nothing coming from the midfield creativity wise and we break up the pitch at the pace of a tugboat, allowing them to get their entire team back. 

Nuhiu looks isolated and his touch looks rusty. FF shouldn't be played in a front 2 for me. 

Apart from that, it's all good and I can't wait for the season to start. 

Just now, Owlsbornanbred said:

Villareal are superior opposition, so if we lose this game (as we are in every department so far, including the score line) I will not be too surprised or disappointed. I assume Jos is playing Hutch and JP together to cope with their attacking threat, and will not use this set up regularly in the league. 

However - the lack of balance in this team is very frustrating to watch. Again we have no pace, Boyd and Palmer look poor down the flanks and can't get into the game. Nothing coming from the midfield creativity wise and we break up the pitch at the pace of a tugboat, allowing them to get their entire team back. 

Nuhiu looks isolated and his touch looks rusty. FF shouldn't be played in a front 2 for me. 

Apart from that, it's all good and I can't wait for the season to start. 

My scathing attack on Palmer seemed to make him up his game. Good goal lad - all is forgiven.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Problem is mate when your paying £40 a game in the second division you expect to be challenging at the top end of the table. If we are planning for a mid table maybe flirting with the bottom half the fans are not gonna get ripped off for long.m

DC needs to get his cheque book out and get some wing backs signed in the next few days or We are going to concede a lot of goals from crosses. With Pudil in a back three he is crap a jumping and heading.

I acknowledge that fact...but the amount fans pay to see their team play, has no bearing on where a team finishes.

And I accept it'll be difficult for fans to temper expectations because of what they pay, but if unrealistic expectations continue, the performances will only suffer, Hillsborough will become toxic and the spiral begins. 

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Really, that back 5 scares the poo out of me. Our 343 team towards the back end of last season would beat this one no problem.

frastheowl has nailed it, every point bang on the money.

I mean, out of the available squad.

1 hour ago, Sticky belly said:

Agree. But Reach is a square peg in a round hole with Jos’s system. He doesn’t quite fit anywhere properly. (Cannot defend well enough for wing back, not strong enough to play central). He’s a left winger, out and out for me. He had an unbelievable season last year and rightly won player of the year. But if we are in the poo financially then I would reluctantly lose reach over players like Westwood and Hunt and whoever else has to go.

Agree. He is a front player for the lefthand side. Mediocre everywhere else.

Well that was like watching paint dry!  Thanks Owlstalk - I'm so glad I didn't pay £15 to watch it!  Certainly won't pay £40 or thereabouts to watch a league game unless they make significant improvements.  No creativity, no effort - just like a walk in the park. Some may say it's "just a friendly" - but as there's 7 days to the first league game, I'd expect to see a bit of effort from players who want to be selected next week.