Steve Bruce

Guest Hillsborough Mole

7 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Classic Grandad thread.

17 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

It could be argued that the last sentence would define whether we're 'serious about promotion' or not. Maybe that's the point of the thread?

Unless of course in the midst of heat exhaustion I have missed the Mole's not so subtle dig at our membership prices released today - if we have the most expensive membership prices then we shouldn't we be able to finance the most expensive manager at this level and give him the biggest budget?

He knows as well as anyone that we have financed the most expensive deals in the history of the club in the past few years, some have worked out well, too many haven't. 

I am not going to attempt to comprehend the membership price as its something I can't get my head around - if you were to go to as many games as would give you the benefit of paying for membership then you would surely get a season ticket instead anyway?

Aston Villa have had the benefit of parachute payments and still have financial trouble having failed to get promoted. Plenty of other clubs have given it a go in recent seasons and have failed and had seasons of biting the bullet and charging high prices. Sadly that is the cycle of chasing the 'promised land' these days.

24 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Di Matteo was given 2 months - it was hardly a club in crisis on the verge of relegation - Bruce had 3 quarters of the 1st season to get them back on track and then a full season having spent plenty on transfer fees and plenty more on wages at a club with more pulling power than most if not all in the Championship. He basically achieved what Carlos managed but with a bigger budget.  

He has achieved plenty at this level before, I never said he was a bad manager - just that he would be a very expensive one, which doesn't fit with where we are currently.

Didn’t realise RDM was there for such a short time. But as we found out, if you have an inadequate  pre season and have a few bad eggs it becomes difficult. I like how Bruce integrated a few of the younger players like Kienan Davis to prove a point to the egos there. Like us he probably had too many players to choose from as a result of botched recruitment to allow many of them to hit form. But ultimately villa came down in bad shape, started even worse and Bruce steadied it and moved them forward. Rowett did similarly at derby and hopefully jos will here.

Edited by Bluesteel

Having spent all of their FFP tokens, isn't Bruce trying wriggle his way out of Villa?

Not sure he would want to come into our situation ... Or why we'd want him 

I hear Bruce and Harry Redknapp have a gardening show lined up, on BBC2

2 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Having spent all of their FFP tokens, isn't Bruce trying wriggle his way out of Villa?

Don't think the wriggling is of bruce's makin,now there are two billionaire investore it would appear they've chosen to go for Henry,if press reports are to be believed.

Edited by DELUDED OWL

2 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Don't think the wriggling is of bruce's makin,now there are two billionaire investore it would appear they've chosen to go for Henry,if press reports are to be believed.

Can't see Bruce wanting to stay there though 

Henry in the Championship, without money, is a risky choice for them 

2 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Aren't they under embargo?

Would be bizarre to see him there. 

Not heard or read that they are,finances are up the creek mind,or at least they were till two billionaires came in,agreeing to pay an immediate £10 million to hmrc,again if press reports are to be believed.

Edited by DELUDED OWL

In my opinion a highly overrated manager who has no utility beyond a decent short-term boost, and he can’t even deliver that without a large budget, which we can’t give him. No thanks, if Villa want to pay him off it’s up to them but I see no reason to bin Jos off and even less reason to bring in Bruce.

It's a no from me, more than happy with Jos.

However, people underestimate how tough a task it is to turn around a sinking ship (and one that's been sinking for 5+ years). Regardless of budget, to assemble a completely new team and get them gelling and promotion ready inside a season is bloody tough, and I don't even particularly like Bruce or the way he jumped from club to club in his earlier career. His overall record speaks for itself.

It's why I will always rate the job Megson done here.

So your theory is. We sack the manager we currently have (who's done a good job given all the sh*t he's had to deal with since arriving) adding to the financial constraints by having to pay off his contract. Bring in a manager who yeah has promotions on his CV but will be on a hell of a lot more money than Jos will be adding to that his staff and the fact he has less 2 weeks to asses the squad before the start of the season.

Let's think about that one and give a considered approach......

Nah f*ck that. F*cking stupid idea.

Mrs Doubtfire may become an option if things don’t work out for Jos

..whatever people think of him, Bruce’s record in the Champ is a good one and if he can get us up he deserves a go here. 

Whats important at this time is what Bruce can achieve for the club, not people’s personal opinions of him

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

On 24/07/2018 at 11:22, Hirst1867 said:

Just about done at Villa.

If we are serious about promotion we should be crawling over brken glass to fetch him in before the season starts.

Thanks for keeping us up Jos.

Negmania

Good job everybody thought it was a bad idea lol

• Haha 7

On 24/07/2018 at 21:20, camffiti said:

As usual, absolutely spot on.