Ross Wallace on trial with Wigan Athletic

7 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere, so apologies if the pontiff is already buried...

But Ross Wallace is currently on their warm weather training camp, in a bid to earn a deal.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/latics/heat-is-on-for-wigan-athletic-trio-1-9255747

Must say, it'll be interesting if he's lining up against us for the first game of the season. Will we still think he's a cheeky chappy? Or will he be like Chris Maguire and be an annoying little tail in anything other than a Wednesday shirt?

Good luck to the bloke anyway, think he'd have something to offer to a club newly promoted to the division.

NNNNNNOOOOOoooooooooo!!

I love him!

Is his knee better?

Would go well in a midfield three ... not a winger anymore unless you are gonna give him a go on the left just to put balls in rather then run at full backs ..

legs are shot

quality left peg though

wish we'd have signed him after he left Preston in 2010

Guest Jack the Hat
4 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Of course he can play at this level. He’s very underrated is Ross Wallace. Especially on here. He’s never had pace but he’s technically a top player.

I mentioned in another thread 5/6 weeks ago that I could see him at Wigan as he lives over Lancs way. It will be a good signing for them.

I wish him all the best - he was very good for us and he cost us nothing. 

Totally agree he could have still done a job for us as an impact player but the circumstances are all wrong now. Play off against Huddersfield may have ended differently had he not got injured. As well as ability I like to rate players as big game players or not. We had too few of those which is why we fell short. Wallace is one of those . Good luck fella.

1 minute ago, Jack the Hat said:

Totally agree he could have still done a job for us as an impact player but the circumstances are all wrong now. Play off against Huddersfield may have ended differently had he not got injured. As well as ability I like to rate players as big game players or not. We had too few of those which is why we fell short. Wallace is one of those . Good luck fella.

Ye, agree circumstances are wrong now and it was the right decision to release him. We want the average age of the squad brought down, it is correct we need to dismantle the squad as the same players have had 3 chances of promotion and failed. We have a similar player in Boyd, albeit not as good and we are now playing a formation with no wingers so it wouldn’t suit Ross.

Anyway, good luck Ross!

5 hours ago, sMacLean said:

A winger with no pace. Unless he modifies his game as a centre-mid not much point in a champ side using him. Good experience though around a squad.

You don't need blinding pace as a winger, if you don't remember a certain "Chris Waddle" for us, remind yourself. 

Beckham was never the quickest either, couldn't beat a man with the ball, but if youve a good footballing brain you can find/make space and still be dangerous with a good delivery. Would have liked to see Carlos use Wallace on the left and signed a rw when he was still in charge. 

21 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

Wigan must be insane if they sign Wallace. 

Get ready for hopeless crossing, wild shooting and aimless corners. Oh yes and then theres the free kicks and back tackling. 

That’s rubbish ! One of our main consistent crossers for a while to be honest and always capable of 5/6 a season which many were beauties. Scored some big big goals for us 

Brighton x2, Arsenal, etc . A good servant who will get a standing ovation from me at  Wigan away if they sign him 

53 minutes ago, Watson said:

If he was a bit younger he would be a brilliant signing

He could still be inspired even now.

The man has the right attitude, he plays the game with a smile on his face and has an appetite for the game the same as he probably did when he was just starting out.

Some players age and drop down the divisions like a stone, I'm still convinced half the clubs in the Championship would want Wallace.

Edit:  The man I describe above matches my opinion of Waddle when I was far younger - yes two completely different class of players, but they still enjoyed the game right to the end.    Why can't every player be like this?   It's how I would be if I had been good enough!

Edited by HubristicClapper