Embargo?

I’m going to say no.

Firstly, Jos has always come across as an incredibly professional man. I’m sure he’s sensible enough not to disclose sensitive information about the club on the radio under soft questioning by a local journalist. Not answering such a question isn’t confirmation of anything.

Secondly, our current situation is no surprise to anyone. We all knew players had to leave before more could come in. We all knew this would be a slow summer. We need to offload before we can buy, and even then “buy” could be a cheaper deal or loans, and only after shifting out a few more.

We are getting our house in order. Talk of an embargo is driven by panic and rumour.

• Like 2

The irony as I see it is FFP (P & S) is creating the very problem it is designed to avoid namely clubs taking major financial gambles. With the money to be gained from reaching the Premier League as the incentive, I can see more and more clubs taking the Wolves/Forest/Bournemouth lead and just fecking off the rules. The whole concept of FFP needs an urgent rethink otherwise it will create a far worse mess than it is designed to avoid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

History tells us one thing.

An impending embargo can be hidden, and dealt with - such as a quick influx of players to excite the fans.   We've been here before.   Think Clinton Morrison and co.

An actual embargo cannot be hidden and so no, I would suggest this is not this is the case.

The way we where operating was unsustainable.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if we've had a talking to, i mean, didn't Chansiri say last season we where in regular contact with the EFL about the situation anyway!?!?

I feel much more at ease knowing the exenditure at SWFC will be reduced and the the kids are going to get a chance.

It doesnt take an accountant or the EFL to tell us we needed to cut the cloth. Looks to me like the club is just operating sensibly.

Edited by waddle23

I think there’s a fair amount of information to suggest we might well be under an embargo. It’s no surprise either way though and the result is similar. As Sheffield Dave says above, we all knew we were going to need to cut our cloth accordingly this summer and FFP rules are forcing us to do that whether we’ve already broken them or not. I suppose it would be nice to be able to bring some players in but we knew the rules two years ago when we were bringing too many in so an embargo is just the flip side.

Or, we’re not under an embargo but the club is being prudent for once and doing what needs to be done now rather than face the inevitable consequences later.

Get rid of the expensive surplus (tough to do but possible ala Rhodes), be practical about players who have value but their contract is running down (Hunt), convince the EFL that we’ve got our shït together (if we are under embargo) which will hopefully allow us to tie down some of the contracted players we do want to keep and bring in some prudent signings to cover gaps.

The only choice we have in the matter is whether we use it as an opportunity.

I get the impression listening to that,  Jos is happy with what he has. He has an idea of his preferred match day squad and identified youth players to fill in the gaps.

He's also identified players who can leave and would much rather see us developing our own players rather than persisting with the likes of Abdi and Jones.

A breakthrough year for one of our own youth players and we could easily have a £10m + player on our hands.

I don't think we are under an embargo, but do have to manage our recruitment in view of the stupid arbitrary FFP limit cureentry in place...which we already knew.

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I think there’s a fair amount of information to suggest we might well be under an embargo. It’s no surprise either way though and the result is similar. As Sheffield Dave says above, we all knew we were going to need to cut our cloth accordingly this summer and FFP rules are forcing us to do that whether we’ve already broken them or not. I suppose it would be nice to be able to bring some players in but we knew the rules two years ago when we were bringing too many in so an embargo is just the flip side.

Or, we’re not under an embargo but the club is being prudent for once and doing what needs to be done now rather than face the inevitable consequences later.

Get rid of the expensive surplus (tough to do but possible ala Rhodes), be practical about players who have value but their contract is running down (Hunt), convince the EFL that we’ve got our shït together (if we are under embargo) which will hopefully allow us to tie down some of the contracted players we do want to keep and bring in some prudent signings to cover gaps.

The only choice we have in the matter is whether we use it as an opportunity.

i did wonder looking at the 'CHANSIRI' advertising on shirts, and stands etc. what would be the fa's understanding of that, i what it looked like to me.

8 minutes ago, waddle23 said:

The way we where operating was unsustainable.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if we've had a talking to, i mean, didn't Chansiri say last season we where in regular contact with the EFL about the situation anyway!?!?

I feel much more at ease knowing the exenditure at SWFC will be reduced and the the kids are going to get a chance.

It doesnt take an accountant or the EFL to tell us we needed to cut the cloth. Looks to me like the club is just operating sensibly.

See what you are saying but it was sustainable as DC was willing to underwrite the losses fully. However the penalties for breaking the FFP rules mean it is not worth the risk.