Embargo?

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Not as many as I’d hoped, given that many still think we should spend because of a survey 

I think outside the microcosm of OwlsTalk, the people I talk to seem to get it.

I remember loads of times last season when Jos was asked questions and he clearly could not get the meaning or gist of what he was being asked. The journos often had to repeat the question. How can anyone be 100% certain that he even fully understood the question being asked?

38 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

But you started a thread anyway.

I'm on holiday, he texted me, I asked on here if the rumours were common place. 

OT is a Wednesday forum, it's what's it's for or we can just keep abusing Hirst Jr. like a woman scorned. 

Glad to hear he probably heard it wrong /is winding me up. 

10 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I remember loads of times last season when Jos was asked questions and he clearly could not get the meaning or gist of what he was being asked. The journos often had to repeat the question. How can anyone be 100% certain that he even fully understood the question being asked?

This is plausible because Giddings is atrocious at speaking to foreign coaches - he makes no effort to accommodate the likelihood their knowledge of English idiomatic phrases might be more than just a little weak.

However, I would say he was very clear for once when asking the question, which is at the 08:22 point in the interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06dq0sw

Just to clear something up, because there are reports that there are 6 Championship clubs who are under transfer embargoes; is one of those Sheffield Wednesday?

Just now, cowl said:

This is plausible because Giddings is atrocious at speaking to foreign coaches - he makes no effort to accommodate the likelihood their knowledge of English idiomatic phrases might be more than just a little weak.

However, I would say he was very clear for once when asking the question, which is at the 08:22 point in the interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06dq0sw

What was his response? 

It's amazing how some people who can barely spell FFP are suddenly experts in it & have modelled themselves as the harbingers of doom. Until it's confirmed we are screwed let's work under the assumption things may just work out ok, you might enjoy being a fan a little more.

39 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Do you also want us to come out with statements regarding how we won't be signing Messi, Mbappe and Griezeman too just to clear up any speculation?

Not quite the same is it if no one has speculated that we are signing these players and nobody has asked a direct question about it?

29 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Not as many as I’d hoped, given that many still think we should spend because of a survey 

Don't think anyone thinks that. Given that the club were happy to send out a survey about pricing strategy in relation to the on-field spending then when the club openly reports the overwhelming results of the survey indicate fans prefer current pricing and continued spending to lowering prices and cutting back on spending, you wouldn't expect us to keep prices high then sell the best players and not replace any of them. 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

If we were under an embargo I very much doubt we would be letting so many players go, and leaving ourselves light in some areas such as defence. 

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

It wouldn’t matter on here if he did. He can do things Wednesday fans would have railed against in the past - hike prices of tickets and season tickets way above the divisional norm, give us the most expensive shirts in the country, run perhaps the shoddiest commercial division in World Football, wee wee off sponsors and corporate customers, take away the stripes, stick a rimming owl on the back of the Lep, squander cash on an unbalanced lop-sided squad, launch the most ridiculous money making club anyone had have ever heard of. 

It’s a touch Trumpesque - beyond criticism because we almost got promoted, we’ve got a big telly and a pitch like the rest of football. All good things for which he deserves and gets praise. 

But if we did fall foul of FFP it would probably be spun as a good thing - evidence of a noble effort to get promoted and a good chance to “get our house in order”. 

My season ticket averages out at £23 per game, kids in the Grandstand work out at £1 per game.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed and those flaws are repeatedly pointed out to you yet you continue to spout your drivel!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, casbahowl said:

My season ticket averages out at £23 per game, kids in the Grandstand work out at £1 per game.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed and those flaws are repeatedly pointed out to you yet you continue to spout your drivel!!!

Where is it fundamentally flawed? How do our prices compare with other clubs? Check it out for yourself and you’ll see. How much is our kit compared to other clubs? How canny an idea was the 1867 club? What kits have we been playing in? Does the rimming Owl exist? Do we have spending issues? Where was I wrong? 

I always thought that when a club was under a transfer embargo it was public knowledge. 

Nothing about us being under an embargo. yes there maybe a bit of speculation that we could be one of the 6 clubs that are sailing close to the wind.

But I am sure if we were under an embargo we would all know about it 100%.

30 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't think anyone thinks that. Given that the club were happy to send out a survey about pricing strategy in relation to the on-field spending then when the club openly reports the overwhelming results of the survey indicate fans prefer current pricing and continued spending to lowering prices and cutting back on spending, you wouldn't expect us to keep prices high then sell the best players and not replace any of them. 

I’ve seen numerous people suggest that we should be spending now because of the survey. Chansiri is still required to invest significantly without being able to spend, wed pretty much need to sell anyone decent if he didn’t 

7 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Where is it fundamentally flawed? How do our prices compare with other clubs? Check it out for yourself and you’ll see. How much is our kit compared to other clubs? How canny an idea was the 1867 club? What kits have we been playing in? Does the rimming Owl exist? Do we have spending issues? Where was I wrong? 

Season ticket prices !!!

23 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I’ve seen numerous people suggest that we should be spending now because of the survey. Chansiri is still required to invest significantly without being able to spend, wed pretty much need to sell anyone decent if he didn’t 

I don't think that's how the survey was interpreted. If that was the case that should have been spelled out.

Just now, rickygoo said:

I don't think that's how the survey was interpreted. If that was the case that should have been spelled out.

Was it specifically referring to this summer and transfer window though? Regardless of what the survey said, we need to do what we need to do this window. I think the best approach is to do something in the middle, blood young players and if necessary sell them to cope with FFP whilst also investing in quality at the right time. If this doesn’t happen moving forward then I think it’s fair enough to question the survey but not yet 

8 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Anyone who interpreted it differently was, if we're being generous, naive.