Peter Atherton

Guest oz_owl
1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Quite possibly one of the worst players in my time watching Wednesday bang average

My god this makes me feel old.  He wouldn't even make my top 50 worst Wednesday players in the time I've been watching Wednesday.  :laugh:

20 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Atherton was all right. As was Pembridge. Both not as good as players they replaced but both would get  into our first eleven now easy. And look very good. Sinton was the worst.. Bloody hell. 

Shortly after we signed Sinton I took my young cousin to his first Owls game.

When I pointed Sinton out to him and told him we had just bought him for £2.3/4m (iirc) he looked up at me and said "Couldn't you have got a full sized one for that" WTF:

Edited by oldtawnyowl
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Atherton was a competent and dependable player. Much better than some of the other dross that we signed back in those days like Jonk, Sonner & the awful Nolan.

I have you no Ian Nolan was a very good player for us, his brother from Belgium who played for us for a season wasn't bad either WTF: i always got the two mixed up looking now I honestly don't know how :Chansiri:

Image result for ian nolan

Image result for marc degryse

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, Watson said:

Isn't that what happens when your average?  

My point exactly ta.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

2E0FE977-2E52-415B-BB6A-57EF14AE6734.jpeg

The ex-Sheffield Wednesday captain Peter Atherton has been named assistant manager to new Barrow boss Ian Evatt.

Carrying a bit of timber these days .

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Carrying a bit of timber these days .

Timber you can milk?:duntmatter:

Bit unfair criticising him alone for being average. Unfortunately he was among a crop of players brought in to replace some of our more heralded and iconic players and therefore as part of that unit we started to dip. 

How do you replace the likes of Nilsson, Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan, Worthington, Palmer, Bright etc and not expect performances to drop.

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I always find it slightly strange comments like this as I have heard them a few times on Owlstalk about Peter Atherton.

Would say the nearest player in terms of style Wednesday have had in last few years to Atherton is Semedo who was idolised and tears in many peoples eyes when he left.

Peter Atherton was a miles better player then Semedo. 

Ah but Peter Atherton doesn't get to rub oil on Ronaldo's naked body like Semedo does...

Has anyone mentioned he knows Ronaldo ? :biggrin:

Edited by steveger

9 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

I associate his and Ian Nolan`s name with "the beginning of the end"

Yep

Yet people still see Trevor Francis as some sort of managerial genius. When all he did was gradually weaken the side player by player with each signing after 93