A fully fit squad - Is it even possible?

I've seen this posted a lot over the last few weeks, sometimes as a justification for the lack of signings made by the club this summer so far and i just don't get how people think that our squad can remain injury free for a full season, or even how we may only suffer a few injuries. 

The nature of the modern game is that players are pushed to their absolute physiological limits. The issue with this is that those demands on players cause them to breakdown, injuries are an expected part of the game and that's why clubs heavily invest in both injury prevention methods but also rehab and recovery too. 

So why then, do some fans think the squad we currently have, which last season was seemingly made from my nan's weakest bone china will be able to compete for a full season with no injuries?!

I'm sure the whole 'it was Carlos fault' will be wheeled out, but when you simply look at what comments that was based on, it doesn't actually tie in with improved rehab. The players fitness improved, as many of them said, however doing this in a short time frame as happened comes the issues of increased injury risk. It's not that Jos and his team did/will do anything wrong, it's just an accepted part of the modern game and something that we should be mindful of for next season.

Next season i would say that the following are going to suffer injuries which will keep them out for at least 4+ weeks

Lee

Hutch 

Lees

Fletch 

Abdi - LOL

Pudil 

Hooper 

Squad Deerrrpppptthhh

I don’t think anyone expects there to be no injuries. 2 or 3 at a time and we’d be able to cope no problem. 10-15 out at a time and we’ll struggle again

I think it’s pretty safe to say that the players had poor conditioning last year due to a slack pre season and training. Will that happen under Jos? No chance 

10 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

I've seen this posted a lot over the last few weeks, sometimes as a justification for the lack of signings made by the club this summer so far and i just don't get how people think that our squad can remain injury free for a full season, or even how we may only suffer a few injuries. 

The nature of the modern game is that players are pushed to their absolute physiological limits. The issue with this is that those demands on players cause them to breakdown, injuries are an expected part of the game and that's why clubs heavily invest in both injury prevention methods but also rehab and recovery too. 

So why then, do some fans think the squad we currently have, which last season was seemingly made from my nan's weakest bone china will be able to compete for a full season with no injuries?!

I'm sure the whole 'it was Carlos fault' will be wheeled out, but when you simply look at what comments that was based on, it doesn't actually tie in with improved rehab. The players fitness improved, as many of them said, however doing this in a short time frame as happened comes the issues of increased injury risk. It's not that Jos and his team did/will do anything wrong, it's just an accepted part of the modern game and something that we should be mindful of for next season.

Next season i would say that the following are going to suffer injuries which will keep them out for at least 4+ weeks

Lee

Hutch 

Lees

Fletch 

Abdi - LOL

Pudil 

Hooper 

Squad Deerrrpppptthhh

I don’t think anybody really expects us to be injury free.

But to have ‘average’ luck with injuries would see a far healthier situation than last season.

if we have ‘good’ luck with injuries we have a great chance.

A high proportion of teams that have got promoted have had good luck with injuries.  Brighton, Huddersfield, Wolves and Cardiff to name a few

2 hours ago, hawksmore said:

Lee

Hutch 

Lees

Fletch 

Abdi - LOL

Pudil 

Hooper 

Squad Deerrrpppptthhh

I would love to be Marco Matias reading this now.

lol

• Haha 2

It all comes down to your interpretation of 'fully fit'. For me we were slightly unlucky with injures in 2016/17 for example. We lost Kieran Lee and Gary Hooper for a long period at the same time as well as Tom Lees for 4/5 weeks. This in my personal opinion cast us any chance of automatic promotion that year. But they were injuries you have to cope with over a 46 game season. 2017/18 was a crisis no club could have coped with much differently, the amount of players of for long periods of time was one thing but factor in the quality of those players and the fact some clearly were played on injections for long periods makes it worse. Nobody who knows anything about football expects to not have to deal with injuries throughout a season but last season was a freak. I doubt any club in Europe had to deal with as many long term issues as we did last season.

While we have Fletcher & Abdi on the books and probably hutch too.... Errm not a cat in hells chance, didn't Abdi manage to get sun stroke at owls in the park just wandering around?? 

I think the latest rumour about Fletcher is he's out for another 2 months for another hair transplant, he's coming back looking like Carlos valdarama lol

Probably unrealistic to expect a full bill of health during the whole season, but we are due some luck after last year. Would be nice to start the season with a mostly fit squad and only pick up minor injuries throughout the season. 

I recall an interview I heard with Stuart Pearce a while ago, where in a rare moment of clarity between the testicles, he was talking about how important pre season is to condition the players to withstand the physicality of a football season, and how with correct conditioning knocks can be managed, where as without, knocks turn into more serious injuries and further time out of the team as fitness then needs to be build back up again.