Stoke City to pay for their fans away travel

27 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Not all fans will use this free travel though. Guessing a fair few drive or use other means for whatever reason.  

Fair point. Brain not functioning properly at this time of night! lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Not doubting they can afford it, but you sure about the figures? 60,000 over 5 seasons means they are taking 12,000 away per season which is only just over 500 per game? Think their following is likely to be considerably larger than that!

I just used the figures from the opening post, which I assume is a copy from the club website.

I agree it's low, but I'd expect many fans don't want to travel to Stoke to pick up the free coach (I wouldn't travel to Sheffield, except maybe for Leeds and Boro games) and many don't want the restrictions of club arranged transport even if it is free.

21 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Club remain committed to initiative…

STOKE CITY are to continue offering complimentary travel to supporters for all away league games in the 2018/19 season.

The Potters became the first club in any of England’s top four divisions to offer free away day transport to their followers when the initiative was launched in 2013.

More than 60,000 City fans have taken advantage of the scheme and the Club have today reaffirmed their continued commitment to it for another 12 months.

Coaches will once again leave the bet365 Stadium for all 23 of City’s league games in 2018/19 with anyone who has purchased a match ticket eligible for free travel.

Chief Executive Tony Scholes said: “Our passionate and vociferous supporter base is known throughout football and is a big part of what we are as a Club.

“We recognise that football continues to be expensive and we’re committed to helping our fans drive down the cost of following their team.

“We hope to have a large travelling support behind us next season in the Championship.”

Fat lot of good it’s been doing ‘em.

They just want everybody to love them. Stoke are one of those clubs that everyone dislikes and when you ask them why they don’t even care enough to be able to think of a genuine reason for it. A proper insignificant entity, they are the Rotherham United of the Premier League (until recently).

Edited by Rebowl Yell

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:09, james o connor said:

I wouldn’t want free travel , as nice a gesture as it is. I’d rather out home prices not be so astronomical 

I believe stoke have held their season ticket prices for the last 7/8 years in a row, so they do look after the home supporters.

11 minutes ago, Watson said:

This is what we are aspiring too... One day

Was down in the Cotswolds the other day, passed four Charabanc's,

drivers all wearing hats, ties, bracers, looked good.

Edited by daleblue

9 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Was down in the Cotswolds the other day, passed four Charabanc's,

drivers all wearing hats, ties, bracers, looked good.

Our exdriver was mental (nice bloke tho) chased a taxi through the back streets after he gave him the finger when he cut him up.  Very funny he was tailgating him and forty odd blokes cheering him on.  

Not exactly the Cotswolds but it does paint a picture. 

On 22/06/2018 at 09:09, james o connor said:

I wouldn’t want free travel , as nice a gesture as it is. I’d rather out home prices not be so astronomical 

Yeah but everyone knows that the only way to do that is to send out a survey asking if fans would accept poorer players as a result. There's simply no other way.

People like you don't realise how lucky we are with all this world class talent at the club for us to feast our eyes on every fortnight.

Pretty sure that's right anyway 

On 21/06/2018 at 18:28, yeadonowl said:

I’d rather pay than travel on the official coach 

many times I’ve needed a beer after watching Wednesday and the last thing I’d want of four hours on a coach listening to fish cake dissecting another abject performance 

i know that feeling Mate.Fishcake used to live not too far from my place and travelling back from S6 on the no 47/48 bus before it became the 1/1A was absolutely Painful.

WTF:WTF::ghoulguy::duntmatter:

Edited by parkfieldowl14