Safe standing at Hillsborough

13 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

If safe standing is permitted why would we not make the whole of the kop standing?

Would surely be a no brainer.

Just don't see that happening.

Cost of installing rail standing, still with the required seats in a massive area like the Hillsborough Kop would be too frightening to seriously consider. Especially as supporters would expect to pay less to stand.

If it happens at all it will be a very small enclosure at the back of the Kop for a couple of thousand, tops.

Even then it would take years to get the required approvals. The words Hillsborough and standing would scare the authorities witless

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Watchdog & Ed Balls giving the safe standing debate some publicity. With parliament set to debate and the movement gathering momentum, IF club's on a club by club basis were allowed, and we went for it, where would we be best placing a (eg) 2000 capacity safe standing area? North stand? back or front of kop? Thoughts please.

*if anyone can set up a survey that would be great. Including the choice of no standing.

I've got a lovely seat in the middle if the North Stand.

I'm fine as I am.

UTO FTP

2 hours ago, g-owls said:

No, but no club would be under any obligation to install safe standing areas either, and as much as things have moved on, Hillsborough will unfortunately always be tainted.

I'm all for standing but could you imagine the reaction if we saw just one incident following the removal of seats? It wouldn't take much for this club to be dragged through the mud again.

We have had years of standing after the disaster that people tend to forget 

Problem is, it would be like signing Jordan Rhodes. People are so used to having a new thread about it every four or five days that if we actually went and got it they'd be flipping clueless what to start endless threads about. Then some other schmuck would have to start slating it because it wasn't a magic bullet that solved all our problems after all.

2 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ground improvement costs are factored into FFP? 

Costs would also be a factor generally when all available funds are required.

No ground improvements don't count towards FFP

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, crookesowl said:

What’s the benefit though? Seems like you still allocate a seat that you can stand up in front of, so how many more tickets can you sell? 

Open standing but with better Safety should be where it’s at. 

The Green Book Safety guide that’s used in Germany states that a 1 to 1.8 ratio is safe.

Most clubs use that ratio with one German club using a 1 (seat) to 2 (standing) ratio.

However at Celtic they use a 1 to 1 ratio and 

in the early days as it’s a trial I would expect England to insist on a trial 1 to 1 ratio.

However if everything runs smoothly then you would quickly expect the ratio to be increased resulting in stadium capacities increasing. Although it’s not so simple to increase capacity because concourse areas/ toilets, catering facilities and exits would also need increasing.

Edited by sheffsteel
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wiggy said:

Leppings Lane lower.

Least likely option for obvious reasons, but think about it. Doesn’t disturb and season ticket holders, populated a part of the ground that is rarely used. Makes sense to me.

Thats probably one part of Hillsborough that will never see standing again.

That downward sloping tunnel always concerned me when i stood there many years ago.

18 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

If the government passes this (heavily tipped to)  every club would get the same deal. Down to individual clubs to submit the plan and implement. Providing supporters groups and the chairman are in agreement, then that's that.

the club would not, and should not be willing to take a haircut on this so, to keep the gate receipts on an even keel would/should the safe standing be at the same price as seats in that area?.

or the price of an average seat in the ground? if the latter is opted for, and it is sited on the kop then those standing would be paying more than those seated in that area.

4 minutes ago, dnhc said:

the club would not, and should not be willing to take a haircut on this so, to keep the gate receipts on an even keel would/should the safe standing be at the same price as seats in that area?.

or the price of an average seat in the ground? if the latter is opted for, and it is sited on the kop then those standing would be paying more than those seated in that area.

They are going to have to cover the cost of installing them, so an extra ten quid for the privilege seems fair enough to me.