Safe standing at Hillsborough

Incidentally look at these two games:

Everton v Villa - 16th March 1977 League Cup Replay at Hillsborough

L**ds v Manure - 23rd April 1977 FA CUp Semi Final at Hillsborough

Anyone notice anything?

Didn't the enquiry conclude that fan behaviour played no part in the disaster. Even if historic fan behaviour was far less than desired, the building of a contraption designed to confine thousands of fans in a confined space was only going to deliver one result given we put on massive games on an annual basis. 

17 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Then on top of that the North Stand either needs a total revamp or again rebuilding (sounds like sacrilege I know but such are the needs of the modern game and modern stadia).

if you are going to knock down or rebuild one of the most iconic and architecturally renowned stands in British Football then we may as well move to a soul-less bowl somewhere :sad:

Guest Grez Bez

Knocking the North down if we don't would be sacrilege. There is LOADS of space behind; the facilities at the front of the stand are fine.

4 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Didn't the enquiry conclude that fan behaviour played no part in the disaster. Even if historic fan behaviour was far less than desired, the building of a contraption designed to confine thousands of fans in a confined space was only going to deliver one result given we put on massive games on an annual basis. 

Agreed, but who was responsible for:

a) the misbehaviour that led those contraptions to be built in the first place?

b) putting it into law that they must be built?

3 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Agreed, but who was responsible for:

a) the misbehaviour that led those contraptions to be built in the first place?

b) putting it into law that they must be built?

If you have the answer to question (b) Utah, please divulge. Spent many an hour searching for that. Always puzzled me why no one was brought to boot. 

7 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

If you have the answer to question (b) Utah, please divulge. Spent many an hour searching for that. Always puzzled me why no one was brought to boot. 

Look at the two games posted above. League Cup Final replay 16th March 1977 no fences. Just 5 weeks later for the FA Cup Semi the fences have been installed.

26 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Look at the two games posted above. League Cup Final replay 16th March 1977 no fences. Just 5 weeks later for the FA Cup Semi the fences have been installed.

I see that, but always thought fences were introduced after the England v Scotland match at Wembley. How wrong I was, these were installed before that then. 

1 hour ago, daztheowl said:

I see that, but always thought fences were introduced after the England v Scotland match at Wembley. How wrong I was, these were installed before that then. 

If you check out some of the MOTD's from 76 onwards you can see it creeping in from that point (Liverpool, Manure etc). The England v Scotland game in 77 was the final straw.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:17, Ash76 said:

The back area of the Kop is 3-4 ft higher so they’d have no problems 

We've had people moaning at us when we've stood up on the back row of the bottom half of the kop.

Miserable sods..Look like they wouldn't stand up when their grandparents come to visit them