Safe standing at Hillsborough

Why should it be cheaper to sit rather than stand? Given the accusations of lack of atmosphere in all-seater stadiums surely you should pay a premium to stand? I'd pay more to be in the standing area for a gig (rather than a seated area) so why should footie be any different?

On 27/05/2018 at 12:21, dnhc said:

go climb over the wall, or dress up as one of the ground staff and sneak in, or do what women do for a driving test and put a really short skirt on.

:CEO:

well girl you've plussed my post, but you haven't chosen a preference, wall, ground staff, or short skirt, which is it?

On 24/05/2018 at 12:13, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

88 percent of liverpool fans who voted in a pole of their fans voted for safe standing .If other clubs wer'e allowed to have safe standing they would have to put a very strong argument towards any bias towards us.

It’s not Liverpool fans though is it.

It’s a different “they”.

“They” Who currently insist on levels of segregation at Hillsborough that other clubs aren’t subject to.

”They” have been known to reduce our capacity by extraordinary amounts.

What happens at other grounds will be irrelevant to what happens at Hillsborough. The individual circumstances of each club, each stadium, and more importantly the nerves of each local police force and local council will be the ultimate driving factors.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

On 27/05/2018 at 18:21, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Why should it be cheaper to sit rather than stand? Given the accusations of lack of atmosphere in all-seater stadiums surely you should pay a premium to stand? I'd pay more to be in the standing area for a gig (rather than a seated area) so why should footie be any different?

Comfort reasons I guess and seats take up more space so houses fewer fans. 

Having stood on the Yellow Wall at Dortmund I can say that safe standing is fantastic. My preferred option would be the top halves of the North Stand and Kop. This would give us a nice boost to our capacity but also enable us to reduce prices in these 2 areas. The 2 tier concourse set up of the North Stand would be perfect. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Says said:

Having stood on the Yellow Wall at Dortmund I can say that safe standing is fantastic. My preferred option would be the top halves of the North Stand and Kop. This would give us a nice boost to our capacity but also enable us to reduce prices in these 2 areas. The 2 tier concourse set up of the North Stand would be perfect. 

So they spend a fortune installing them and then reduce prices?  Do you want sauce on your complimentary pie as well?

Think long term, accepted there is a short term capital cost but this will soon be recouped by increased attendances. Another massive plus of safe standing is that it makes it much easier for season ticket and non season ticket holders to attend socially without having to worry about swapping seats. 

18 minutes ago, S6 Lifelong Owl said:

I can still think of 96 reasons why 'safe ' standing should never be reintroduced. 

But with safe standing and allocating the right number of people to the right areas of the stand (which would have to happen as you effectively have a designated standing area) there would never have been 96 reasons in the first place...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Watson said:

So they spend a fortune installing them and then reduce prices?  Do you want sauce on your complimentary pie as well?

If they set up a new food concession selling basic snap it doesn’t have to be dearer than the rest of the ground just because it’s new. It’s a long term thing. 

7 hours ago, Sir Says said:

Think long term, accepted there is a short term capital cost but this will soon be recouped by increased attendances. Another massive plus of safe standing is that it makes it much easier for season ticket and non season ticket holders to attend socially without having to worry about swapping seats. 

What increased attendances? Until we show we can average well over 30,000 a week in (what is supposed to be) a 39.8k capacity stadium, the case for safe standing at Hillsborough is just a joke!

The only way any cost can be recouped is by the attendances going through the roof. It will take sustained EPL football to even stand a chance of that so until we have been back in the Premier for a few seasons it isn't even worth considering.

Besides there are other areas of the ground that need to take priority such as a total rebuild of both ends of the ground. Then on top of that the North Stand either needs a total revamp or again rebuilding (sounds like sacrilege I know but such are the needs of the modern game and modern stadia). Now granted whilst you are doing that you could certainly cater for safe standing but to do so at Hillsborough in it's current configuration isn't just impractical, it's absolute lunacy!

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

What increased attendances? Until we show we can average well over 30,000 a week in (what is supposed to be) a 39.8k capacity stadium, the case for safe standing at Hillsborough is just a joke!

The only way any cost can be recouped is by the attendances going through the roof. It will take sustained EPL football to even stand a chance of that so until we have been back in the Premier for a few seasons it isn't even worth considering.

Besides there are other areas of the ground that need to take priority such as a total rebuild of both ends of the ground. Then on top of that the North Stand either needs a total revamp or again rebuilding (sounds like sacrilege I know but such are the needs of the modern game and modern stadia). Now granted whilst you are doing that you could certainly cater for safe standing but to do so at Hillsborough in it's current configuration isn't just impractical, it's absolute lunacy!

Totally agree, any talk of safe standing has to take its place in the queue behind other more significant projects which must start with the flattening, rebuilding and renaming of the Leppings Lane end.

16 hours ago, rickygoo said:

If they set up a new food concession selling basic snap it doesn’t have to be dearer than the rest of the ground just because it’s new. It’s a long term thing. 

Oh ok fair enough.... Will they have proper chips at this new food concession stall instead of arty farty french bloody fries? 

13 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

No it was the internal fence that segregated the central pen; Without that the crowd would have moved sideways in both directions.

There had been crushes before those internal fences were installed i.e. League Cup replay 1977 Everton v Villa & 1981 semi Spurs v Wolves. Even with those internal fences, had there been no fences to prevent fans going on the pitch then that would have offered them an automatic escape route (which is what happened in the 77 League Cup replay (I was there and saw it with my own eyes).

The whole mentality of fencing fans in was a major contributory factor of the disaster and the root cause of the fencing was the actions of the fans from the late 60's onwards. We need to accept that the bad behaviour of fans over an extended period of time means we have to take some of the blame.

Going back to the topic however, safe standing really should not be an issue at any ground these days. If clubs want to install it then they should be allowed to. The problem with Hillsborough is purely an economic one not an historic one. Until the ground is redeveloped (or heaven forbid we move) I just don't see it happening.