Do we need more pace in the team?

1 hour ago, mark1948 said:

Pace? Pace? He used to play for the Blades. He lived on Bishopscourt Road Norton Lees, I used to deliver his Star and Green Un in 1963 /64.

i hated him , he scored 2 for the blunts that won them the game in the first match I ever went too.........he looked old enough to be granddad 

29 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i hated him , he scored 2 for the blunts that won them the game in the first match I ever went too.........he looked old enough to be granddad 

Yeah. He was miserable. Didn't give me a tip at Christmas either. I guess the Blue & White Scarf didn't help.

• Haha 1

Yes we need pace. Now we don’t need headless chickens that can do the 100m in 10 seconds but can’t trap a bag of cement.

but pace is absolutely vital in the modern game and there is no getting away from that. My football philosophy and the way I believe should be played is fast counter attacking football. Like Liverpool this season for example. Love that style of play. It’s breath taking when executed correctly. When I was growing up watching football in the 90’s Man U were doing it under fergie with Giggs, Sharpe, kanchelskis etc. Long throws from Schmeichel, defence to attack in 3 seconds. It’s so difficult to defend against.

looking at our squad we have some quality footballers like FF and BB and Hooper when fit. The problem we have is teams can press us high and shut us down because they know there is nobody with any real pace that can run in behind them. (Lucas Joao possibly the exception)

you add a couple of really pacey forwards into the team and all of a sudden the opponents defence backs off for fear of getting caught out and then your quality footballers have the space and time on the ball they need to create chances and hurt the opposition. 

You need a blend but yes pace is vital imho.

Edited by Sticky belly

Guest LittleG
16 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Yes we need pace. Now we don’t need headless chickens that can do the 100m in 10 seconds but can’t trap a bag of cement.

but pace is absolutely vital in the modern game and there is no getting away from that. My football philosophy and the way I believe should be played is fast counter attacking football. Like Liverpool this season for example. Love that style of play. It’s breath taking when executed correctly. When I was growing up watching football in the 90’s Man U were doing it under fergie with Giggs, Sharpe, kanchelskis etc. Long throws from Schmeichel, defence to attack in 3 seconds. It’s so difficult to defend against.

looking at our squad we have some quality footballers like FF and BB and Hooper when fit. The problem we have is teams can press us high and shut us down because they know there is nobody with any real pace that can run in behind them. (Lucas Joao possibly the exception)

you add a couple of really pacey forwards into the team and all of a sudden the opponents defence backs off for fear of getting caught out and then your quality footballers have the space and time on the ball they need to create chances and hurt the opposition. 

You need a blend but yes pace is vital imho.

Good post. We are definitely lacking pace where it matters. Our quickest player is probably Hunt, other than him there is no pace at all in the side. It's OK having speed of thought but you also need pace on the pitch.

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Over the years we have had some quality wingers with no pace but the had skill to beat a man, when did you last see Reach, Wallace, Boyd dribble through players Everyone has this hang up with pace.

we need a winger who can beat a man, gain a hard and put the cross into an area to score.

Not sure a winger with an erection is going to be much use WTF:

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Over the years we have had some quality wingers with no pace but the had skill to beat a man, when did you last see Reach, Wallace, Boyd dribble through players Everyone has this hang up with pace.

we need a winger who can beat a man, gain a hard and put the cross into an area to score.

:goalie:

Yes most definitely If we aren’t playing with wingers, then any pace out wide will have to be through the wing backs Also, another quick option up front would be good

Matias and Joao are both quick, and Forestieri is in short bursts, but another added to the group, would be ideal

Make the ball do the work. Its all well and good having pacy players if they are running about like headless chickens. 

33 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes most definitely If we aren’t playing with wingers, then any pace out wide will have to be through the wing backs Also, another quick option up front would be good

Matias and Joao are both quick, and Forestieri is in short bursts, but another added to the group, would be ideal

I agree. I’m looking forward to seeing Matias this year under Jos, im

convinced there’s a good player there at this level. A lot of people have written him off already and mention him in the same breath as Abdi and Boyd but I don’t agree. Hopefully he can get some game time and prove himself. Certainly very quick and aggressive and could fill one of those attacking roles behind the striker. 

5 hours ago, marshy said:

It's how pace is used that's key. JJ had pace, Helan had pace yet the delivery was more often terrible. As the post above. Vardy us a great example of pace and delivery with an end product.

Somewhere in the middle would be fantastic . We aren’t going to get a vardy, but please no more jj or helans

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure FF is particularly that quick but what he's good at is giving himself a couple of yards start and will run in behind defenders. That means the defender has to turn around and then speed up, that takes time. Time in which FF is away 

Edited by pgmetcalf

There are only two things that terify's a defender, having to turn and PACE.

Having said that, true defenders are fast becoming a thing of the past, with the game and players being about midfield players in every position, except GK.

Said this all last season. Its the one thing we desperately need. Two strong athletic pacy forwards/wing backs are essential for me if we are to gain promotion. Oh how I wish for a younger version of JJ who's not injury prone and has a footballing brain.