Westwood will be Off

Guest Arcadianrocket

Nobody wants Westwood to leave, but if we have to sell then at least we do have able players who can replace him.

The players everybody on this forum wants shifting are unlikely to leave due to our over-generous wage structure.

In any case, although I've conceded defeat where Abdi is concerned, I still have hopes for Fletcher if we can bring in a pacy winger who can get an early ball in to the area at speed.

Winnall was shipped out due to his set-to with FF, so he's gawt ee gaw - provided it's not to S2 or Leeds.

Westwood is one of the few on our books whom others would want and we can just about afford to lose.

So, provided it's not to Leeds, I'd reluctantly sanction it.

We don't have a choice.

27 minutes ago, Sonny said:

What makes anyone think we’d get £3m for a 33 year old championship keeper?

Not a cat in hells chance . He’s 33 with mounting injury issues , getting him off the wage bill will still be a positive as there are two lads more than capable already here 

On 06/06/2018 at 23:23, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Wow !!!!

Not Westwood you mean ?

To be fair a year plus ago when he was pinging it out of his hands to Forestieri on the half way line on the break consistently

And that assist for Hoopers half volley at Hillsboro... they weren't too bad lol

9 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

To be fair a year plus ago when he was pinging it out of his hands to Forestieri on the half way line on the break consistently

And that assist for Hoopers half volley at Hillsboro... they weren't too bad lol

Sadly WO91

"time waits for no man"

Sell him and recoup some money whatever we can get..

His distribution in general like all our goalkeepers is poor 

This is something I hope is being addressed close season. 

• Like 2

On 04/05/2018 at 18:38, Arcadianrocket said:

Reading Jos explanation on why Wallace has left, made me think Westwood days might be numbered too. Age is not on his side like Wallace.

I sincerely hop I am wrong, I think we have one last real shot of promotion with this group of lads and we need Westwood in the sticks. Another year development won't harm Wildsmith and Dawson. Send Dawson on loan and Wildsmith can play in the cups.

Does anyone else think Jos could use same method of thinking with Wallace and Loovens to Westwood?

I'll not down vote you for this bud and yes while I'll agree that Jos seems like he's implementing steps and building for the future, looking to sign younger fitter legs around the pitch, Westwood is a goalkeeper which is slightly different as they tend to really come into their own in their 30s. Look around and  most good quality solid keepers are around that age and play until their late 30s,so as a keeper westy is in his prime right now. 

On 06/06/2018 at 22:51, Arcadianrocket said:

People who want Westwood to leave lol 

Don't think many, if any, want Westwood to leave.

However, if Westwood leaving helps fund positions we are weaker in, then I'll take it because we have two other excellent young GK's (admittedly, not on the level of Westwood, but sound enough to compete in this division).

4 hours ago, Sonny said:

What makes anyone think we’d get £3m for a 33 year old championship keeper?

4 hours ago, james o connor said:

Not a cat in hells chance . He’s 33 with mounting injury issues , getting him off the wage bill will still be a positive as there are two lads more than capable already here 

A club like Stoke might see it as good business to flog Butland for £20m+ and bring in a GK of Westwood's quality for £3m. I mean, Stoke bought that Berahino for £15m after all the problems West Brom had with him, so anything is possible!

• Like 1

Do people realise we are close to FFP? 

We’ve got 3 keepers, all good enough for this level. One of them is on big money, and gets more knocks than Evil Knieval. Absolute no brainer to sell him, get the wage off the bill, and have 2 young keepers fight it out for shirt. We can always get a keeper on in loan, if required. Most Premier teams carry at least 3 top keepers. 

For those that want to keep Westwood, google the word ‘priorities’. 

31 minutes ago, vulva said:

Do people realise we are close to FFP? 

We’ve got 3 keepers, all good enough for this level. One of them is on big money, and gets more knocks than Evil Knieval. Absolute no brainer to sell him, get the wage off the bill, and have 2 young keepers fight it out for shirt. We can always get a keeper on in loan, if required. Most Premier teams carry at least 3 top keepers. 

For those that want to keep Westwood, google the word ‘priorities’. 

Agreed. 

Top keeper, but you've got to think long term. 

Judging by his recent interview it would appear Westwood is pretty indifferent on whether he stays or not. 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Agreed. 

Top keeper, but you've got to think long term. 

Judging by his recent interview it would appear Westwood is pretty indifferent on whether he stays or not. 

So how do you see the future keeper situation panning out?

At some stage, possibly as near as next summer or the season after, I can see one of Wildsmith/Dawson being cheesed off at being kept out by the other and wanting a move. At this stage we might regret getting rid of Westwood.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Cameron Dawson is seriously good. Wildsmith is a solid keeper at this level. Westwood is on big wages and we need to reduce the wage bill. 

Absolute no brainer

I agree - there's no point investing in the young replacements if one has to leave to accommodate our wage structure and everyone's aspirations, only for Westwood to leave next June. Sometimes you just have to move on when the right time arrives.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

So how do you see the future keeper situation panning out?

At some stage, possibly as near as next summer or the season after, I can see one of Wildsmith/Dawson being cheesed off at being kept out by the other and wanting a move. At this stage we might regret getting rid of Westwood.

Agreed, that's the downside of having two excellent youngsters competing for one position. It's no reason to keep Westwood though if allowing him to leaves helps us shore up weaker areas of the team.

I'd be content with Westwood moving on this season, and then us getting a decent fee of one of the young lads next summer.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you