Hull City 0 - 1 #SWFC - OMDT

Do believe we need to go 5 at the back against a free scoring Hull, would like to see Reach as LWB, leaves us short in midfield, Bannan back hopefully, play him and Jones in the centre with FF behind the front 2, of ? (who) who's fit, Rhodes? Joao,/ Nuhiu.

And certainly not the formation we played against QPR.

Edited by daleblue

6 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

All this of course does not address our problems at Hull City tomorrow. Drawing on all my coaching experience I'm going for a 3-2-5 and a scragg the barstewards approach !

Hull City 2-3 Wednesday. UTO WAWAW lol

Love the line up. Aahh, the memories of two wingers, two inside forwards and a centre forward - all on the pitch at the same time ! Oh for a Kevin Keegan type manager - not bothered how many you score because we'll score more. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Marvellous stuff @Lord Snooty

The effort and great info you pack into thus season’s OMDTs is staggering. It’s akways a pleasure and a great start to the day (or finish to a heavy night) to read them.

And to boot you throw in the odd grenade to spice up our day.

Well done and thank you.

This morning’s grenade (oh how I wish Trump and Putin only had grenades or better-still boxing-gloves at their disposal) is a very interesting one. A front 3 of FF Nuhiu Joao? Well it did fine on Tuesday - two goals and an assist away from home. But imo it is more likely that a 442 with FF wide will be tried and prove more successful. Would that be with Reach at LB? Or will we buy a proper LB and see Reach LW and FF RW. He played it several times at Watford and we know he is 90% right foot. 

I had a feeling it'd be you that jumped in ro smother the blast of bean!

I just thought that Joao didn't look as involved and at times looked a bit isolated. Goals for Nuhiu and Fernando could be argued meant it worked. 

As you know with a fit Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson id be in favour of a 4-3-3 of some sort. Just not sure it will work for us without those 3. 

I'm just one of those of the school that when a partnership is working,  for whatever reason,  then it's best not to split it up and for me Joao and Nuhiu have looked our most dangerous combo this season. 

In a 4-4-2? Yes I still think they'd look dangerous. But I'm not sure we have central midfield to cope. 

I'm convinced it's the reason Jos has used this 5-3-2/3-5-2.  

So he can play with a front pairing but also to have that extra body in the middle to give us some insurance since we never signed the beast needed these days to play a 4.  

The issue of Fernandos return -V- formation was always going to be the big question. As he doesn't really fit this system  unless he's at centre forward or tucked behind. It is a conundrum!

Whatever we do today....I just hope we can  win the midfield and ensure we tighten at the back. Which I think currently will mean a return to a 5 won't it? Who knows. 

I know one thing. I hope Nuhiu passes his fitness test because Dawson and McDonald need someone up there who will dish back a bit of what they'll have on the menu. 

45 minutes ago, Halifax Owls said:

We're shot to bits, do we try and park the bus with Fessi up front on his lonesome, grind a point out? Dawson to start surely? Bench Reach and leave Rhodes at home.

It's a tough game no doubt.  I'd be reluctant to see Fernando on his own up top.  I just couldn't see us having any opportunity of him holding the ball up. Especially with Dawson and McDonald hanging off each arm. Even with Hooper and his magnificent holding and barging arris we have had little joy put of Hulls back fours. 

Reach , I agree has looked tired. Which is little wonder given the volume of games he's played. But even half shagged is he a better option than Jones and Butterfield in giving us a bit of forward momentum? I think it's open to debate. Which may say more about the latter two players than the former. I know one thing. If any player must be looking forward to the summer break it's Reach. He is looking fatigued. 

Rhodes- Not worked for him here but if Nuhiu and Joao don't make it then he has to be an option. 

dawson has to start for me,was very impressed with him in the 4 cup games he played. I don't think there is a keeper with more howlers than wildsmith in the championship ,yes great stopper and won us the game at notts forest without him forest would have had at least 3 , but rest of his game is poor. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I had a feeling it'd be you that jumped in ro smother the blast of bean!

I just thought that Joao didn't look as involved and at times looked a bit isolated. Goals for Nuhiu and Fernando could be argued meant it worked. 

As you know with a fit Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson id be in favour of a 4-3-3 of some sort. Just not sure it will work for us without those 3. 

I'm just one of those of the school that when a partnership is working,  for whatever reason,  then it's best not to split it up and for me Joao and Nuhiu have looked our most dangerous combo this season. 

In a 4-4-2? Yes I still think they'd look dangerous. But I'm not sure we have central midfield to cope. 

I'm convinced it's the reason Jos has used this 5-3-2/3-5-2.  

So he can play with a front pairing but also to have that extra body in the middle to give us some insurance since we never signed the beast needed these days to play a 4.  

The issue of Fernandos return -V- formation was always going to be the big question. As he doesn't really fit this system  unless he's at centre forward or tucked behind. It is a conundrum!

Whatever we do today....I just hope we can  win the midfield and ensure we tighten at the back. Which I think currently will mean a return to a 5 won't it? Who knows. 

I know one thing. I hope Nuhiu passes his fitness test because Dawson and McDonald need someone up there who will dish back a bit of what they'll have on the menu. 

Agreed.

Im sure managers and CBs have to think very hard how they approach playing against Nuhiu. At anytime, playing against an aggressive 14 stone ten foot tall girth-the-size-of-a-traffic-island Kosovan must give you food for thought, but now there’s the added issue that you can’t let him near goal!

I am not naive and I know gung-ho doesn’t work, but a controlled, disciplined attacking line-up that involves three of FF, Hooper, Nuhiu and Joao would give so much for the oppos to cater for that their own willingness to attack us in numbers would be diluted.

Lets hope Jos sees it that way too. A season of excitement would be great. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

dawson has to start for me,was very impressed with him in the 4 cup games he played. I don't think there is a keeper with more howlers than wildsmith in the championship ,yes great stopper and won us the game at notts forest without him forest would have had at least 3 , but rest of his game is poor. 

Dawson has an injured leg mate.

WTF!?

if we play a back 4 and have butterfield and jones as a centre 2 we would lose at least 6-0 . if bannan plays and we have 3 centre halfs it might be a close game . I will give jos a chance ,but if he ever plays butterfield and jones in midfield together again he needs our anger fully felt. 

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

|Anyway. Enough bleating. 

I'd like to dedicate this thread  to our wonderful overlord, Neil. 

For Return of the Negs....

I salute you ,Sir. 

giphy.gif

COME ON WEDNESDAY

Great OMDT Snoots. Sorry about the 'neg' but after you announced their return I got carried away and felt an urgent desire to use it. 

I'll make it up to you on the next post of yours I read.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agreed.

Im sure managers and CBs have to think very hard how they approach playing against Nuhiu. At anytime, playing against an aggressive 14 stone ten foot tall girth-the-size-of-a-traffic-island Kosovan must give you food for thought, but now there’s the added issue that you can’t let him near goal!

I am not naive and I know gung-ho doesn’t work, but a controlled, disciplined attacking line-up that involves three of FF, Hooper, Nuhiu and Joao would give so much for the oppos to cater for that their own willingness to attack us in numbers would be diluted.

Agree wholeheartedly. It's water under the bridge now of course,  but I remain convinced we'd have got the better of Hull in 'the big game' if Fernando and Hooper had flanked the bigman!

Jos will I'm sure have seen all this.  But what he'll be able to do about it is a different matter given we've spaffed  £30m on a lot of players with little or no resale value. Some on long deals. 

I suspect it'll take him two or three windows to create a squad with the balance he wants.  

I think our Gung-Ho spending has now left us in a position where it's backfired and we're going to have to show some patience. Not a word Wednesday fans want to hear...We've been patient for just  a quarter of a century!   I suppose we should be well prepared in that sense! 

I just hope frustration doesn't start to boil

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agreed.

Playing 4-4-2 poses a number of problems for us.

Who plays left back? Reach is not really the answer as he is just not a natural defender. 

Who plays at centre back now we are without the trusted old Lees Loovens partnership? Pudil could replace Loovens as the left sided cb but not sure if Lees Pudil would work in a 4.

And on to the big question; the make up of the four man midfield and especially the central two. 

4 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Playing 4-4-2 poses a number of problems for us.

Who plays left back? Reach is not really the answer as he is just not a natural defender. 

Who plays at centre back now we are without the trusted old Lees Loovens partnership? Pudil could replace Loovens as the left sided cb but not sure if Lees Pudil would work in a 4.

And on to the big question; the make up of the four man midfield and especially the central two. 

I think it's why Carlos had his brief flirtation with that diamond.

We needed two up top as we had 8 striker who all look far better in a pairing.  

He believed in back fours.  

Yet I think he saw that at times we got totally overrun in there. 

Of course the down side was in gave us zero width. 

I think that's where year 2 and 3's football at the back philosophy was born. Let's keep it out of midfield. Keep it as long as we can and hope our little bit of quality can nick us the game. 

Which is dis at times

But when  those quality players started dropping our injured. ..

The flaws of the plan were painfully exposed. 

As highlighted so brutally  during "no-shot-in-a-month-gate"

• Like 1