Hull City 0 - 1 #SWFC - OMDT

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I think Reach would make a great wingback btw. 

Boyd is rubbish. 

Thing is. People mainly lament Boyds lack of tackling and tracking ability.

Reach can't be too far ahead of him, if at all in those two disciplines though. 

Just now, HubristicClapper said:

It's not 3-5-2 though really is it.

The safest formation would be 4-4-2 as it helps defend the wings which we are most vulnerable from.

Well, its more of a 5-3-2. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

I think Reach would make a great wingback btw. 

Boyd is rubbish. 

Boyd RW if he's playing at all is an absolute no-brainer for me. The lad literally CANNOT tackle, so why try to make him?

Basically doing to him almost exactly what we did to Reach the first four months he was here. Will we never learn? :duntmatter:

3 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

The safest formation would be 4-4-2 as it helps defend the wings which we are most vulnerable from.

True. Though we'd probably be then weaker in the middle.

It's a bit of a catch22 for my money.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thing is. People mainly lament Boyds lack of tackling and tracking ability.

Reach can't be too far ahead of him, if at all in those two disciplines though. 

Agree, Reach is totally wasted there. Really needs sorting out, that position.

We can't just keep chucking anyone who can jog around for 90min back there and hoping for the best.

EVERYONE comes at us down that side, it's getting ridiculous.

Edited by Mr. Tom

1 minute ago, HubristicClapper said:

Love to see it line up Reach LW and Boyd RW, with Thornily and Hunt FB either side of Fred and Tom.

But it will be 352 or 3511.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Love to see it line up Reach LW and Boyd RW, with Thornily and Hunt FB either side of Fred and Tom.

Me too. Seems obvious. Obviously Thorniley not ideal as LB but needs must.

Edited by Mr. Tom

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not a fan of Thorniley at left back. 

If any of this debate proves anything it's that whether we play a  4-4-2  ,    4-3-3  ,3-5-2,  4-5-1,  or even a 5-5-0. ...we really, really need a new signing on the left defensive role. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Not a fan of Thorniley at left back. 

If any of this debate proves anything it's that whether we play a  4-4-2  ,    4-3-3  ,3-5-2,  4-5-1,  or even a 5-5-0. ...we really, really need a new signing on the left defensive role. 

And if we're just never going to sign a proper midfield general, we really ought to be packing it with the glut of more lightweight players we've already got. I'd very happily see three sitting central, with two wide.

3-5-2 still the obvious chioce for me, but the AWBs are just so crucial in that setup it's a bit of a risky one for us at present.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

True. Though we'd probably be then weaker in the middle.

It's a bit of a catch22 for my money.

I think this tells you a lot about our current squad.

We have had two seasons before this one where we were very tight in the goals conceded department, so to me that meant we were doing well as a 4 in defence and 4 in midfield.

No one could have predicted Loovens falling from being a good pro to one who has seemingly lost both his legs and also everything else so quickly, nor Lees being out for so long however I do think that formation is still better for us and is proven to have been better for us with this set of players we currently have.

If we don't have the players for this formation now, then that's the area  you have to target for next season because in truth, if you have a large squad like we have and can play two 4-4-2 formations, you have enough players for any formation, but you HAVE to be able to rely on those players to be good enough without having to resort to flooding an area of the pitch.

United play 3-5-2 religiously but their wide men fall back in to defence when their centre halfs are marauding up the pitch.    I've seen their wingers playing centre back and their centre backs playing wingers depending on if they are in possession or not.   I don't think we have the players to be that fluid right now and it's to United's credit and to our detriment.