How far behind are we?

How close we are is definitely down to how capable are our top players of playing 40 games in a season. 

If Fessi, Lee, Hutch, Abdi can all play 35+ games at the levels we know they are capable of, then we are a top 6 team. If they can’t then we are well off. 

Of course, we would benefit from two new full backs, a CH, a midfielder and a striker, but that’s variable if we change playing styles next season

15 hours ago, torres said:

I think it shows what pace does in the right areas 

Something we have next to nothing of 

I personally wouldn’t say they were outstanding - they have ability and athleticism in key areas 

For example if McDonald played for us he would be a nightmare but with those players around him he can pull the strings 

Spot on. Your midfieders are only as good as their outlets... We have no pace to turn defences so our passing is often back or sideways.

Pacey wide players makes all the difference. All our wing backs need replacing including hunt.

But we've been saying this for 2 seasons at least

19 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Spot on. Your midfieders are only as good as their outlets... We have no pace to turn defences so our passing is often back or sideways.

Pacey wide players makes all the difference. All our wing backs need replacing including hunt.

But we've been saying this for 2 seasons at least

This is why (in my opinion) there has been frustration and annoyance around the club for the 2 seasons following the play off final. 

Everyone could see we were so very close to being a top team in this league, we just needed that injection of pace in key areas, which would add that raw threat to compliment our technical quality.

Yet we spent £20m+ on Abdi, Jones, Reach and Rhodes - and this isn’t just hindsight talking, a lot of us were baffled at the time 

Its set us back 2 or 3 years minimum 

Frustrating 

1 hour ago, torres said:

This is why (in my opinion) there has been frustration and annoyance around the club for the 2 seasons following the play off final. 

Everyone could see we were so very close to being a top team in this league, we just needed that injection of pace in key areas, which would add that raw threat to compliment our technical quality.

Yet we spent £20m+ on Abdi, Jones, Reach and Rhodes - and this isn’t just hindsight talking, a lot of us were baffled at the time 

Its set us back 2 or 3 years minimum 

Frustrating 

Grrrrr, so true

Guest wilyfox

Hard to say how far away we are when players keep breaking down. Is this a one-off dodgy season, or will our injury woes continue beyond the summer? Jos & Chansiri will have some difficult decisions to make over key first-teamers - not just trimming peripheral dross. We need a core group of fit pedigree performers. At the moment, we probably have a handful. 

20 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Anyone who thinks we're going to challenge again next season needs their head looking at. It'll take a couple of seasons at least to get over this 

Agreed 100%.Next season will be more of a rebuilding job than challenging for promotion. 10th or 11th at best come May 2019.:tango:

You always look at the opposition and think which of our players would get in their team. Don't think one of ours would get in Fulhams so in that respect we're miles away.

Wish we had gone for jokanovic , love the way his team's play, including yesterday

22 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

If I was a betting man I would say it will be under different ownership before we get promotion from this league. Just don’t think we will make the right decisions under Chansiri. So therefore we could be a good 5 years away from what we want to achieve 

I can understand your point of view. After this poor season if I was Chansiri I would be appointing an ex Owl like Pearson or Smith in May and have him holding a blue and white striped shirt that’s ready to be purchased from the club shop.  But there’s a cats willy chance of any of that happening 

I'd say we're quite clearly a long way off. No balance to our squad. Lots of strikers but no decent wingers and no pace, lots of centre mids but no power, no decent left back, lot of experience not a lot of youth. 

You could say if they were all fit we'd be top 6 but we started the season terribly, looked sluggish and uninspired and got beaten by some teams with significantly less resources while most of them were fit.

Like to think we can be a lot better next year but certainly needs freshening up and the squad balancing out.

Edited by vulture_squadron

It’s taken a while for some of us to realise we were nowhere near as good as we thought we were Can remember saying when Fulham halted our winning run last season, that we were miles behind them in terms of development 

This, despite nothing between us at the time, in terms of league position Quite simply, they were streets ahead of us,  all pace, power and invention All their players were so comfortable on the ball 

This season, that gulf has become more polarised, despite the closeness of this result 

Injuries have not helped, but we should not hide behind that Even our strongest line up, would struggle against this Fulham side We need a complete rethink, we have to build a squad suited to the modern game 

Edited by gurujuan

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s taken a while for some of us to realise we were nowhere near as good as we thought we were Can remember saying when Fulham halted our winning run last season, that we were miles behind them in terms of development 

This, despite nothing between us at the time, in terms of league position Quite simply, they were streets ahead of us,  all pace, power and invention All their players were so comfortable on the ball 

This season, that gulf has become more polarised, despite the closeness of this result 

Injuries have not helped, but we should not hide behind that Even our strongest line up, would struggle against this Fulham side We need a complete rethink, we have to build a squad suited to the modern game 

So the fact we beat them again at their place two seasons running means diddly ?

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

So the fact we beat them again at their place two seasons running means diddly ?

Diddly indeed, all clubs can occasionally beat superior rivals Just watching how comfortable they are on the ball, the pace they have, they are geared for success

Just now, gurujuan said:

Diddly indeed, all clubs can occasionally beat superior rivals Just watching how comfortable they are on the ball, the pace they have, they are geared for success

Yeh right,so its considered a fluke when we beat far superior sides, not exclusive to fulham,they were the media's darling last season,blew up against Reading,Fulham are again the media's darling this season,until they actually get up they are just a good championship team.

At first I reckoned that with a fully fit squad raring to go we’d be not far off at all and ready for another crack at the top six and possibly beyond.

However, I’ve started to reconsider a bit - we don’t know how much damage has been done this season to the players’ confidence, and the whispers of things badly amiss behind the scenes aren’t getting any quieter. Add that to the fact that I expect the division to be stronger next year, as Stoke and Southampton will be very tough if they come down. 

In short - we really need to get this summer right, we’ve cocked the pre-season up twice in a row now and absolutely can’t afford a repeat.

7 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Yeh right,so its considered a fluke when we beat far superior sides, not exclusive to fulham,they were the media's darling last season,blew up against Reading,Fulham are again the media's darling this season,until they actually get up they are just a good championship team.

Barnsley arent better than Sheff united, they beat them on Saturday. 

9 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

I can understand your point of view. After this poor season if I was Chansiri I would be appointing an ex Owl like Pearson or Smith in May and have him holding a blue and white striped shirt that’s ready to be purchased from the club shop.  But there’s a cats willy chance of any of that happening 

Haha yeah if only. I’ve got a feeling we might have another boring summer with not much optimism 

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I would still say Burton are a way behind us and we have not yet beaten them have we? They certainly beat us the last two seasons.