How far behind are we?

I just don’t think we should kid ourselves As I said, we were a match for Fulham last season, in terms of results against them, and even league position, but you could tell they were streets ahead of us in terms of development We stopped progressing after the Wembley defeat, despite last season’s league position

Whatever the chairman says, poor recruitment is the root of our problems It beggars belief that we could add £25m worth of new players to that play off final team, and two years later, be fighting relegation

On 07/04/2018 at 18:30, Eastern said:

If we hadnt had the injury issues I am sure we'd be hovering around play offs this season.

I honestly don't think we would, we aint as good as we think, most of the squad got old and tired now, we need a huge refresh

I tend to always look at performance over points, as in the log run the former generally decides the success of the team. Yes, we have beaten fulham at their place but ultimately what does it count for if we are the ones hovering in 16th and they are pushing for auto promotion. They have a very balanced side with all the right attributes of pace down the flanks, power, a good central midfield and striker. We have done well to recover recently and add a bit of gloss to a frankly awful season on and off the pitch, but this weekends match shows that we have lot of work to do before we can think about the top 2. Several players over the hill on big wages who will be difficult to move on, and several signings needed in key areas which we may struggle to fund. Hopefully Jos can pull off some some good deals on free transfers and loans in the summer to inject some positivity. Wawaw.

I agree with everything that has been said about Fulham,my point is,the attributes they have this season,they had last season,but "we" have beat them at their place two seasons running (no fluke either) they were pushing for promotion last season and failed,they are pushing for promotion this season they may do it,but until they actually do,they are just a good championship side.We don't need to aspire to be like them.

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

There is always a number of teams who on paper are not going to be not far off , sometimes it is largely down to bloody good management, take Huddersfield last season , and Cardiff this . For the life of me I could not see Cardiff doing anything like they have , But Warnock has made them in to a hard to beat championship unit,on the verge of the premiership.

43 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

I agree with everything that has been said about Fulham,my point is,the attributes they have this season,they had last season,but "we" have beat them at their place two seasons running (no fluke either) they were pushing for promotion last season and failed,they are pushing for promotion this season they may do it,but until they actually do,they are just a good championship side.We don't need to aspire to be like them.

Well that’s true To be honest, what I’m more concerned about is, that we have learned from our mistakes It’s a worry that the chairman continues to defend recruitment, but I’m hoping it’s just a case of him protecting the players Worse case scenario for me, would be us thinking everything was OK, and trying to fashion a top two team out of the players we have, most of whom, who have clearly seen better days

7 hours ago, steveger said:

I honestly don't think we would, we aint as good as we think, most of the squad got old and tired now, we need a huge refresh

Definetely for next season.

will hopefully be an interesting summer on the transfer front.

18 minutes ago, Quist said:

Realisticly think we need 5 players,left back, centre back, another utility defender whocancover across bac kfour, right sided midfield player, and a powerfull ball winner in midfield.

I agree we need at least 5, and most of them need to be quick Good sides need to have pace all over the pitch, and in our squad, we probably only have one, Joao 

Matias and Forestieri aren’t slouches, but we need more than that, in my opinion

If we are to play with wing backs, we need pace and energy in those wide areas for a start A quick central defender would be good, but might be difficult to find At least one more quick attacker as well