Is there a place for religion in football?

8 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

It's worth having in mind that God sits outside of time.  So there is no sense in which he is waiting to see the result of the game on Saturday. The final whistle is equally visible to him as kick off.  

That's a very interesting concept.

You speak as if you know. Can you have a word and see if we avoid relegation this year please and come back to me yesterday.

• Haha 4

This is a fairly misleading thread title. This is players and their faith. Not religion in football. Thought it was gunna be a celtic/rangers , catholics/protestant or bear some reference to clattenburg halting the game in Saudi..

To suggest a player cant make any gesture of their faith when celebrating or preparing to come on in my view would be unfair. They are not preaching their ideoligies to anyone merely giving thanks/prayer to the God in which they believe. I am not a religious person but feel those that are should be able practise their faith at any appropriate time they wish to. 

Regarding Clattenburg stopping a game to answer the call to prayer. I felt this was very respectful. Saudi Arabia is a muslim country that has Muslim ideoligies enshrined into law and 99.9% of participants are Muslim therefore it is reasonable to make an adjustment as thats not the laws of football. More laws of the land. I wouldnt expext thay to happen in a western country though.

For anyone who is still interested, I find this guy a bit forceful if I'm honest but I see this kind of stuff all over the UK and this is a bit more real for people in Sheffield. Jesus is Alive, I know him and he has the power to save, heal, free and I believe he gives hope and life to anyone willing to risk looking for him. The other thing is an 'Independent' article, The Christian church is growing (sorry to disappoint those who want it dead - nothing original there!).

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/christianity-isn-t-dead-it-has-just-become-more-diverse-a6940081.html

I'm gonna leave this thread here, I fully respect everyone who doesn't believe but hope you can see something of the awesomeness of Jesus one day in your lives.

Up The Owls

WTID

• Haha 1

Was brought up strict Irish catholic, brought my kids up catholic but not as strict as what I was, my son not too arsed nowa days but that's up to him, he's 19 so hardly surprising, I've just told him he has to get married in a catholic church if he gets married before me parents snuff it lol

my twin daughters enjoy going to church which we do most sundays but they're 11

I rarely talk about it to my mates or people who know me but always willing to if I get asked

With regards to football I think you have to appreciate we are quite an atheist country, Christianity is meant to be the main language over here but that generation is dying unfortunately, this is completely different in South/North America/Afria as well as a lot of europe, then of course you've got middle east/Africa that are strict muslims

We watch footballers from this part of the world every week which is why you tend to see it a lot on our screens, it's normal to them but not to us

Football is a religion.

Personal view is religion serves a purpose as it acts as a crutch to helppeople get through life and the same could be said for football. It issomething to believe in and live for.

For the record I do believe in god. Religion(s) are just a means of worshiping that god.

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, Rebowl Yell said:

For what it’s worth I fully agree with your opinion 100%. 

Good wind up though!

1 hour ago, Quist said:

Football is a religion.

Personal view is religion serves a purpose as it acts as a crutch to helppeople get through life and the same could be said for football. It issomething to believe in and live for.

For the record I do believe in god. Religion(s) are just a means of worshiping that god.

You’re quite right. Sheffield Wednesday is my religion, Hillsborough is my church, David Hirst is God and he sent his son George to save us. George was , in turn, crucified by the non believers, but he will rise again and save us.

• Haha 2

No. I don't believe religion has a place in football in general.

That said though; if a player is religious and believes a little prayer on the pitch will help him/her, sure go ahead, as long as the action doesn't require others to join in.

There's a reason to sign Muslim players which I first noticed with Madjid.

With no booze and good diet, they are so, so much fitter than most home grown guys.

Bougherra was fastest stopper I've ever seen. Real class.

In fact , overseas player generally fitter. Comparing other Owls' players to Di Canio was embarrasing.

No wonder he scored so many towards end of a match. 

Edited by fred mciver

7 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Treat your religion how you treat your genitals. Don't wave it round in public and don't shove it down your kids throat.

7 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Treat your religion how you treat your genitals. Don't wave it round in public and don't shove it down your kids throat.

You’re a bit late with that last bit of advice to many of the clergy and their choir boys.

• Haha 2