Is there a place for religion in football?

10 minutes ago, Watson said:

But believers also claim their belief is the truth.  

In cases where that's true, yeah they've both got a duty to 'prove' it. If they care to, and if they want any real chance of convincing their opponent. lol

I guess what i was getting at was akin to the burden of proof in scientific theories generally - for a claim in science to be 'true', you have to prove it will be true EVERY TIME, in EVERY CASE, ad infinitum. For it to be debunked, it only has to be shown not to work once.

You could say the same for either side of the argument around the existence of god(s), although it's far harder to prove something couldn't possibly exist than, due to lack of evidence either way, to agree that it might.

I suppose what I'm saying is we've actually got the harder job, not the believers. They can just carry right on believing, and logically it's easier to defend, because nobody's going to be producing the smoking gun that proves anything either way anytime soon. :duntmatter:

Edited by Mr. Tom

1 minute ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

You are confusing religion with spirituality. "Religion" is primarily a system of social control, it has very little to do with peoples' connections with divinity, despite all its pretence to the contrary.

Organised religion has its roots in fear and ignorance.

So I agree with your post.

For the sake of mankind and social cohesion... let's hope we don't have a shocker at Leeds...UTO.

WTF!?

1 minute ago, Mr. Tom said:

In cases where that's true, yeah they've both got a duty to 'prove' it. If they want to have a chance of convincing their opponent. lol

I guess what i was getting at was akin to the burden of proof in scientific theories generally - for a claim science to be 'true', you have to prove it will be true EVERY TIME, in EVERY CASE, ad infinitum. For it to be debunked, it only has to be shown not to work once. You could say the same for either side of the argument around the existence of god(s), although it's far harder to prove something couldn't possibly exist than, due to lack of evidence either way, to agree that it might.

I suppose what I'm saying is we've actually got the harder job, not the believers. They can just carry right on believing, because nobody's coming up with the smoking gun any time soon. :duntmatter:

The delusion s better than the reality 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

You are confusing religion with spirituality. "Religion" is primarily a system of social control, it has very little to do with peoples' connections with divinity, despite all its pretence to the contrary.

Good point. Behave & believe or else. Stick a tenner in that plate while you're at it. The funniest thing is, by believing in God, you equally believe in the devil.

:duntmatter:

Makes Disney look mundane.

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Good point. Behave & believe or else. Stick a tenner in that plate while you're at it. The funniest thing is, by believing in God, you equally believe in the devil.

:duntmatter:

Makes Disney look mundane.

Disney literally became popular because of that very narrative, just with Princes and Ogres instead. It's that fundamentally hardwired into us.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Just now, lukestheman82 said:

Can't name any caused by Relgion.

I also can't name that many caused by Religion.

However, surely it does'nt need me to suggest the conflicts created in the name of Religion?

Maybe they were fighting about how to spell it lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Watson said:

Is that fact or your opinion?

I think it might be both, but this is Owlstalk where opinion always trumps fact, so you're best off calling it an opinion.

Debate on morality, religion and ethics on here, seriously WTF!?

lol

8 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

In cases where that's true, yeah they've both got a duty to 'prove' it. If they care to, and if they want any real chance of convincing their opponent. lol

I guess what i was getting at was akin to the burden of proof in scientific theories generally - for a claim science to be 'true', you have to prove it will be true EVERY TIME, in EVERY CASE, ad infinitum. For it to be debunked, it only has to be shown not to work once.

You could say the same for either side of the argument around the existence of god(s), although it's far harder to prove something couldn't possibly exist than, due to lack of evidence either way, to agree that it might.

I suppose what I'm saying is we've actually got the harder job, not the believers. They can just carry right on believing, and logically it's easier to defend, because nobody's going to be producing the smoking gun that proves anything either way anytime soon. :duntmatter:

Proof and logic are two words that are redundant in this debate.

Belief systems rely on faith..faith can't exist without belief.

There cannot be any burden of proof on a belief system.

Sentience is the driver for modern doubt.

This is what we should be debating...

Why do we THINK?

WTF!?

And why do I write WTF!?.

51 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Gulf 1

Gulf 2

Vietnam 

Falklands

Ww1

Ww2

Rokes drift 

Any help on other 3

Sorry to pick you up  on this but this was started by a total dislike for a Scottish Band ...

They are an aquired taste though I must admit ......

"Take me out" literally was taken out of context way back then ........lol

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST