Is there a place for religion in football?

1 minute ago, roll and nilsson said:

The historicity of Jesus concerns the degree to which sources show Jesus of Nazarethexisted as a historical figure. It concerns the issue of "what really happened", based upon the context of the time and place, and also the issue of how modern observers can come to know "what really happened".[1] A second issue is closely tied to historical research practices and methodologies for analyzing the reliability of primary sources and other historical evidence. It also considers the question of whether he was a Nazirite.[2][3]

Virtually all New Testament scholars and Near East historians, applying the standard criteria of historical investigation, find that the historicity of Jesus is effectively certain[4][5][6][7][nb 1][nb 2][nb 3][nb 4] although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels.[nb 5][13][nb 6][15]:168–173 While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness,[nb 7] with very few exceptions such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed.[17][nb 8][19][20][21]

I have no problem with you criticising what Jesus did or said or question whether he is who he claims to be but there are plenty of scholars out there who are atheists who are satisfied with the historical evidence to support his existence. My point with Caesar was simply that people dismiss Jesus's existence as a fraud because they aren't willing to consider what he says but are happy to accept everything about other historical figures. 

Most of the scholars are believers but there is a growing movement most notably headed by Richard Carrier who is strongly challenging the long-held belief that Jesus existed. I suggest you watch some of his talks.  

20 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

(The bit in brackets is just incorrect. Staggeringly so.

The Bible is not a history book, and the earliest gospel was written at least 70 years after Jesus. By a vested interest, in a different language !  The gospels do not agree with one another.  Some of the new testamant was wrtten hundreds of years later, some of it has been translated several times.) The stories in the Bible occur in many other religions, cultures and myths.

if one person starts saying he has an imaginary friend who was dead and has come alive and who is inside his head telling him what to do he is presumed to be mentally ill. If millions do it, it's called religion and asks for respect!

The bit in brackets is just incorrect. Staggeringly so!

The bible is a collection of writings of different styles and genres, some of which are history books, some of which are poetry, some of which are wisdom literature etc.

Biblical scholars (many of whom are not themselves religious believers) but whose work in hugely respected in academic fields broadly agree the following.

The gospels; Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were written between at the earliest around 65-75AD for Mark, AD80-90 for Matthew, 75-90AD for Luke and no later than 100 AD John. This puts the writing of the gospels between 30 and 70 years after Jesus death not as you suggest at least 70 years after.

The latest writing of any part of the new testament is around 100AD not several hundred years later.

Its just a fact that of all the writings from ancient times including lives of various Roman Emperors and other famous books, the New Testament has existing copies that are very much closer to the original time of writing and there are more documents available.

eg Josephus Wars written 10-300 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 950AD, 900-1200 years after events

Tacitus Annals written 30-100 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 850 AD, 800 - 850 years after events

Seutonius Lives written 25 to 170 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 850 AD, 750 -900 years after the events

Complete New Testament written 20 to 70 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 350AD, 250- 300 years after the events

In comparison to the small number of copies of these other ancient texts of around 30 - 200 each, between 4000 and 5000 copies of the earliest Greek texts of the New Testament exist. Greek is the original language of the New Testament before translation. If we write off the authenticity of the New Testament then we must also write off the authenticity of the written evidence for many historical figures and events.

The Gospels are not exactly the same as each other and there is much scholarly discussion and debate that could be gone into but they do not contradict each other and suffice it to say any four modern biographies of the same person would also differ in emphasis and content.

While the creation story and the flood story which are the earliest stories in the Old Testament are echoed in other religions, the vast majority of the rest of the Old Testament is unique to Israel's history and faith.  

It is of course a matter of personal faith whether you believe in God, Jesus etc.

Its not really fair, true or academically acceptable to write off the New Testament as an unreliable source.

Hope that helps

God Bless :-)

Guest Jack the Hat
On 13/03/2018 at 17:42, Rebowl Yell said:

Yes I think offering ‘faith zones’ in the stadium might help attract ostracised communities to come watch Wednesday at Hillsborough, something like the first 4 or 5 rows of the Kop would be ideal. Would look good on tv too.  

Wow! Virtue signalling at its very best! I suppose they get a free ticket as well whilst I pay forty quid!

4 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Wow! Virtue signalling at its very best! I suppose they get a free ticket as well whilst I pay forty quid!

'k off free tickets !!!!!! WTF: Lerrem pay double because we accepted 'em so readily :duntmatter:

FFS

37 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

The bible is a collection of writings of different styles and genres, some of which are history books, some of which are poetry, some of which are wisdom literature etc.

Biblical scholars (many of whom are not themselves religious believers) but whose work in hugely respected in academic fields broadly agree the following.

The gospels; Mathew, Mark, Luke and John were written between at the earliest around 65-75AD for Mark, AD80-90 for Matthew, 75-90AD for Luke and no later than 100 AD John. This puts the writing of the gospels between 30 and 70 years after Jesus death not as you suggest at least 70 years after.

The latest writing of any part of the new testament is around 100AD not several hundred years later.

Its just a fact that of all the writings from ancient times including lives of various Roman Emperors and other famous books, the New Testament has existing copies that are very much closer to the original time of writing and there are more documents available.

eg Josephus Wars written 10-300 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 950AD, 900-1200 years after events

Tacitus Annals written 30-100 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 850 AD, 800 - 850 years after events

Seutonius Lives written 25 to 170 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 850 AD, 750 -900 years after the events

Complete New Testament written 20 to 70 years after the events, earliest manuscripts available date from 350AD, 250- 300 years after the events

In comparison to the small number of copies of these other ancient texts of around 30 - 200 each, between 4000 and 5000 copies of the earliest Greek texts of the New Testament exist. Greek is the original language of the New Testament before translation. If we write off the authenticity of the New Testament then we must also write off the authenticity of the written evidence for many historical figures and events.

The Gospels are not exactly the same as each other and there is much scholarly discussion and debate that could be gone into but they do not contradict each other and suffice it to say any four modern biographies of the same person would also differ in emphasis and content.

While the creation story and the flood story which are the earliest stories in the Old Testament are echoed in other religions, the vast majority of the rest of the Old Testament is unique to Israel's history and faith.  

It is of course a matter of personal faith whether you believe in God, Jesus etc.

Its not really fair, true or academically acceptable to write off the New Testament as an unreliable source.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that Rev.

Have you heard of paragraphs?

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Thanks for that Rev.

Have you heard of paragraphs?

Were they in the New Testament or the Old Testament :ph34r:

It took quite a bit of reasonably scholarly effort to write that. It was fairly well paragraphed I thought but the paragraphs weren't indented and didn't have line between, I will conced that. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

I think it's in wrong section tbh dronfield 

Sorry if it was. I am new to posting despite being an avid reader for a few years.

I assumed it was OK to post here as it was a direct reply to another post on this thread?

31 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Sorry but you are a privileged white male and so your opinion can be taken with a pinch of salt. Plus most BME people live in absolute poverty thanks to deeply entrenched racist and sexist beliefs from the resident population of white Brits, securing these people some seats at a football ground to give them a little bit of relief from the day to day horrors of living in a country that hates them I think is the least we can do no? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Oh foook it's got serious so I'm out

I just wanted some light hearted fun and enjoy engaging with friends on here. 

Not having a go at you rebowl at all.

It’s OK tinks I was just looking for some bites as I’m a pathetic attention seeker but I don’t actually want to end up shutting down your thread so please anybody don’t take my ridiculous post above serious. My bad sorry, 

1 hour ago, roll and nilsson said:

The historicity of Jesus concerns the degree to which sources show Jesus of Nazarethexisted as a historical figure. It concerns the issue of "what really happened", based upon the context of the time and place, and also the issue of how modern observers can come to know "what really happened".[1] A second issue is closely tied to historical research practices and methodologies for analyzing the reliability of primary sources and other historical evidence. It also considers the question of whether he was a Nazirite.[2][3]

Virtually all New Testament scholars and Near East historians, applying the standard criteria of historical investigation, find that the historicity of Jesus is effectively certain[4][5][6][7][nb 1][nb 2][nb 3][nb 4] although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels.[nb 5][13][nb 6][15]:168–173 While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness,[nb 7] with very few exceptions such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed.[17][nb 8][19][20][21]

I have no problem with you criticising what Jesus did or said or question whether he is who he claims to be but there are plenty of scholars out there who are atheists who are satisfied with the historical evidence to support his existence. My point with Caesar was simply that people dismiss Jesus's existence as a fraud because they aren't willing to consider what he says but are happy to accept everything about other historical figures. 

Image result for jesus gif

1 hour ago, Rev Owl said:

Hope that helps

Cool story bro 

• Haha 1