Is there a place for religion in football?

Often feel that the hero worship on the terraces of the past eg Shearer at St James was akin to the worship of the true Messiah. Jesus was anti religion and yes he did exist (in fact there are hundreds more historical docs to support Jesus's existence in comparison to J Caeser) and resisted the Jewish religious establishment. I think each player has the freedom to choose their actions as I hope  anyone would in relation to faith in Christ.

I think there is an interesting link between faith and hope of religion and hope in our football team. 

Edited by roll and nilsson

Back to basics lads  Hillsborough 25,000 people attending   why ? to SEE Wednesday win ?..... to EXPERIENCE Wednesday winning ....? to ASSIST Wednesday winning?. So many home games lost thrown away... but Faith and HOPE keep people coming back. Coloured vestments worn by  players... , costs money to participate  ...MUSIC? provided..... communal singing to be heard ... disgruntlement at fare on offer ...everybody with their own opinions ......lesser mortals on the other side of the city. Religion.

I'm tired now      WTF:

1 hour ago, roll and nilsson said:

Often feel that the hero worship on the terraces of the past eg Shearer at St James was akin to the worship of the true Messiah. Jesus was anti religion and yes he did exist (in fact there are hundreds more historical docs to support Jesus's existence in comparison to J Caeser) and resisted the Jewish religious establishment. I think each player has the freedom to choose their actions as I hope  anyone would in relation to faith in Christ.

I think there is an interesting link between faith and hope of religion and hope in our football team. 

There are no contemporary docs relating to Jesus. All of them after his "death" and the youngest of those are decades after.

Julies Cesar had contemporary coins made in his honour.

6 minutes ago, Watson said:

There are no contemporary docs relating to Jesus. All of them after his "death" and the youngest of those are decades after.

So did the England 1970 World Cup squad, I collected them from Texaco petrol stations :biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, roll and nilsson said:

The bit in brackets is just incorrect. Staggeringly so.

The Bible is not a history book, and the earliest gospel was written at least 70 years after Jesus. By a vested interest, in a different language !  The gospels do not agree with one another.  Some of the new testamant was wrtten hundreds of years later, some of it has been translated several times. The stories in the Bible occur in many other religions, cultures and myths.

if one person starts saying he has an imaginary friend who was dead and has come alive and who is inside his head telling him what to do he is presumed to be mentally ill. If millions do it, it's called religion and asks for respect!

2 hours ago, Watson said:

The historicity of Jesus concerns the degree to which sources show Jesus of Nazarethexisted as a historical figure. It concerns the issue of "what really happened", based upon the context of the time and place, and also the issue of how modern observers can come to know "what really happened".[1] A second issue is closely tied to historical research practices and methodologies for analyzing the reliability of primary sources and other historical evidence. It also considers the question of whether he was a Nazirite.[2][3]

Virtually all New Testament scholars and Near East historians, applying the standard criteria of historical investigation, find that the historicity of Jesus is effectively certain[4][5][6][7][nb 1][nb 2][nb 3][nb 4] although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels.[nb 5][13][nb 6][15]:168–173 While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness,[nb 7] with very few exceptions such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed.[17][nb 8][19][20][21]

I have no problem with you criticising what Jesus did or said or question whether he is who he claims to be but there are plenty of scholars out there who are atheists who are satisfied with the historical evidence to support his existence. My point with Caesar was simply that people dismiss Jesus's existence as a fraud because they aren't willing to consider what he says but are happy to accept everything about other historical figures.