Is there a place for religion in football?

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Proof and logic are two words that are redundant in this debate.

Belief systems rely on faith..faith can't exist without belief.

There cannot be any burden of proof on a belief system.

Sentience is the driver for modern doubt.

This is what we should be debating...

Why do we THINK?

WTF!?

And why do I write WTF!?.

BTW 

WTF? Takes longer to type

FFS

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

The pope's dead.

A perfect example of how religion, ( or ralgex, for Owlerton Ghost ), has a place in football lol .

The bigger question of course is, does football have a place in religion ?? :rolleyes:

FFS

wee pipe Emery with the big dentures as a vicar...."we're a broad church".

WTF!?

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

wee pipe Emery with the big dentures as a vicar...."we're a broad church".

WTF!?

I used to know Richard Emery's son. True story dat.

BUT

Was it Simon Church you are talking about. Or could it be Jordan Chapel ? I'm sure there used to be a Bishop playing too, along with blokes like Victor Moses, Bret Angel, Alex Baptiste, Reuben Lazarus and some bugger called Priest. Might get a couple of decent (god) squad players out of that lot lol 

FFS

Enlightening to see this on Owlstalk. Most clubs have a chaplain nowadays. That's ok because it's not part of the "matchday experience" and employees of the club can choose to engage or not. However, overt  declarations of faith must be an issue that the FA should be addressing.. indeed FIFA. Overt political, religious and campaigning statements during a match are apparently, not permitted. Guardiola gets fined for wearing the "yellow ribbon" ... his personal statement of strong belief in a political cause. Fair enough... so why shouldn't overt demonstrations of faith be left in the dressing room?

FFS

Interesting thread this, love how things like this pop up on Owlstalk quite regularly.

Personally I'm a Christian so don't see any issue with the involvement of religion in football or anything else for that matter but I completely understand those who disagree. 

In terms of religion generally, I would say that Jesus is the cure for world division, anger, hate, envy and fear but I think it takes a lot of reading and patience with God to reach that way of thinking. The things Jesus said and did were absolutely radical and a lot of it is hard to understand without getting stuck in to it. I encourage people to do that even if you've got no interest in believing but just out of curiosity.

UTO.

2 hours ago, Watson said:

Can you demonstrate he even existed?  Claims without evidence are merely that, claims.  

We can believe whatever we wish but it doesn't make them true.

There are non-religious historical texts that refer to Jesus. There is evidence, it just takes a lot of reading to understand it all! 

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Morality existed long before religion.

Just saying.

This is such interesting stuff. Assuming humans have always had morals, where did that come from? Is it just natural? Or is it from a sort of higher power? Perhaps worth thinking about but I don't think anyone has the answers!