Is there a place for religion in football?

Not being a religious person I find it weird all these players nowadays praying on the pitch or when waiting to come on.  Is it me being an old grump or does anyone else find it rather odd?

• Like 1

There is an interesting bit in Matthew Syed's book about sporting success when he talks to Jonathan Edwards - general gist is that whatever gives you a sense of edge/ helps you focus is what makes the difference and for some, a notion of  "the higher power" helps. 

Obviously there was a bit more to it for Jeremy Helan - but maybe he just fled SWFC before he got injured!

Meanwhile, despite  me being a man of faith, "Sky is blue, clouds are white, that's why Gods a Wednesdayite" has been a struggle to sing over the years! 

11 minutes ago, Mus said:

Not being a religious person I find it weird all these players nowadays praying on the pitch or when waiting to come on.  Is it me being an old grump or does anyone else find it rather odd?

I don't find it weird or odd.

A lot of people feel the need to have something to believe in, as far as I'm concerned that's their prerogative.

Saying that it's your prerogative for it to appear weird or odd to you.

Guest Bulgaria
12 minutes ago, Prince said:

Each to their own, as long as it's not forced down your throat then it's up to the individual as to the faith they follow.

Absolutely,  but why do they do it when they know the cameras are watching them?

Self importance if you ask me.

Similar thing that made me cringe was Gareth Bale holding up his boot with "RIP Gary Speed" on them, showing them to the crowd and the camera when he scored a goal... i mean whats he trying to say?   Is he wanting the world to know how much he cares or what.

Pratt.

Edited by Bulgaria

9 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

There is an interesting bit in Matthew Syed's book about sporting success when he talks to Jonathan Edwards - general gist is that whatever gives you a sense of edge/ helps you focus is what makes the difference and for some, a notion of  "the higher power" helps. 

Interestingly Edwards turned from religion after retiring.

I'd rather see them pray to Allah or make the sign of the cross then run towards me kissin' their badges the disingenous f.ookers..or that thumb suckin' fookwhittery.....

Wrist kissin'????..I mean give over!..

Shake hands get back to the centre circle....

I don't mind sheer exubrance, but all the pre planned rubbish?..nah