SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

3 hours ago, vulva said:

Agree with principle but talk me through how you get rid of a bunch of vastly overpaid, injury prone players, the majority of whom are well over their well by date. Players won’t just walk away so we can have a go with another bunch. 

This is is a Jonk, Donnelly, Sibon et al situation, with fries, large shake and very hot apple pie. 

This.

Page 11, repeated P18

'Because there is no legally binding agreement ....(about Owner's promise to keep funding)...there is existence of a material uncertainty which may cast doubt about the ability to trade as a going concern.'

Sadly , I think this answers current financial state of our great club.

It is also an official warning to suppliers and any other lenders, including those considering long -term season tickets.

Fact is , we are beholden to DC's good grace to keep us afloat.

Let's hope he doesn't do one or croak it.   

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

Slight problem with your idea is this season accounts end 31 May 2018, the transfer window does not open until 1st July 2018, so we will be under embargo unless our losses are less than £9m, so we will then have to probably make a profit next season in order to not still be under FFP embargo the following season. Very unlikely with the wage bill we currently have.

Also will the volume of fans still turn up if they are watching a team of kids and free agents at £35-40 a game - in the best of worlds this is unlikely.

My comments were just for a bit of a laugh in a serious subject area but in answer to your response re. admission prices, I quoted average to take account of away game entry fees.

Re. the current situation and what happens next then a lot of the "expert" opinion is once more based on speculation and conjecture as nobody knows what numbers will be presented in line with the rules re. FFP or whatever it's called these days.

This is all new to us, the fans, as well as the club.  The last time we were discussing accounts and deficits in detail we were talking about a black hole of 1.5m causing a meltdown which where we are now, equates to possibly the wage of one player.  This both shows how far we have come and how mad football at this level now is but we have a chairman who has tried to get us competing once more and that is today's price even when we're not paying so much as others.

Anyway, he gave it a go and it's not quite worked out.  

We'll have to sell one or two of our big names to both raise funds and freshen things up and I was already told that Hooper was off last window if he hadn't been injured.

The injury crisis has given us at least one positive in that the young ones who have come in have done well and shown us and DC an alternative to the "been there and done its" that were signed with the hope of a quick promotion.

We've so far avoided the failed manager go round although it seems maybe some of our signings are part of the mercenary go round which, along with greedy/shady agents and deals form part of the world we're trying to live in.

I hope the accountants chosen are a bit more reliable than some of those DC has chosen to rely on so far and forced reviews/cutbacks are actually better than drifting along in some of the other areas of the club which need looking at.

In a way the accounts and the money he has chucked in actually justify his thinking, if not some of his actions, towards some of those "premium" supporters around the club who for years have talked big but expect more whilst paying the same and more than anything the biggest part of "the debate" over recent times serves only to illustrate just how far we have fallen and how small-minded we have become in our lost years since being relegated all that time ago.

When we unaware of the facts, not used to what's going on and faced with new faces then the easiest way to face our fears is very often to revert to our comfort zone and actually big up the bad times more than trying to embrace and stay patient and positive with those trying to progress and move us forward again.

DC is new to this malarky, you can't blame him for taking both positives and negatives on face value/first impressions. He bought into us as fallen giants, he saw a sell out against Arsenal in his first taste of us against one of the big boys and in his naivety he probably thought, like some of our fans it seems, that it could be like that every week both easily and quickly.

He gambled on Rhodes for promotion and to please the fans which looks a bit barmy now with hindsight but could quite easily have come off and at the time was what the majority wanted.

He's made mistakes, he'll hopefully learn but he came along to grow us after another foreigner who saved us when nobody from the city stepped up with either the dough or the good intentions when we were really on our arses.

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Aren't lots of clubs reliant on one person to prevent them from going into administration ?

Yes, but with legally -binding agreements to confirm their promises.

And often don't work - Leicester, Southampton, Leeds, Portsmouth , etc, etc.

Edited by fred mciver

3 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Page 11, repeated P18

'Because there is no legally binding agreement ....(about Owner's promise to keep funding)...there is existence of a material uncertainty which may cast doubt about the ability to trade as a going concern.'

Sadly , I think this answers current financial state of our great club.

It is also an official warning to suppliers and any other lenders, including those considering long -term season tickets.

Fact is , we are beholden to DC's good grace to keep us afloat.

Let's hope he doesn't do one or croak it.   

But the auditors follow that by saying :-

”Nevertheless, after making enquiries and considering the funding requirements of the Company, the directors are confident that funding will be made available and have a reasonable expectation that the Company has adequate resources to continue in operational existence for the foreseeable future. Accordingly they continue to adopt the going concern basis in the preparation of the financial statements.”

image.png

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

genuine question 

what makes a guy with by his own admission no experience in football, fly several thousand miles several times a tear spend an absolute fortune (that is by all known figures a very big percentage of his known wealth) . He says he's 150m in MK say 100m what's 50m between 'family'

By any persons measure that's a lot of money spent on something you know nothing about and sack any advisors you had.  I am not questioning his good intention but I think judgement may be up for examination though  

your point is?

it's still 24% the family have - DC has virtually no influence if that's your point 

in fact due to the TUF logo on the noticeboard at the purchase a statement was made by TUF now TU that they are not involved as a company

now whether this is pocket money given to him to have a play, I have no idea  but I seriously doubt it 

So what do you think it is then? 

Are you suggesting something more untoward? Spill the f00king beans if you actually know something. 

Very easy to dismiss everyone's ideas when you have none of your own. 

Guest mkowl
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Literally nothing to worry about from this one at all 

That's what Carillion thought WTF:

2 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

But the auditors follow that by saying :-

”Nevertheless, after making enquiries and considering the funding requirements of the Company, the directors are confident that funding will be made available and have a reasonable expectation that the Company has adequate resources to continue in operational existence for the foreseeable future. Accordingly they continue to adopt the going concern basis in the preparation of the financial statements.”

image.png

KPMG said same about Carrillion.